RIP Alfred E. Neuman 67

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I used to love that and cracked back when I was a kid. It's a shame to see it go, but honestly I thought it was already long gone.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Ironically I just bought a mad magazine at the newsstand. It’s still good! They stuck with their format over the years, with the fold-in covers, lighter side of...I chuckled at spy vs. spy too.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Haven't checked out an issue in quite a while (the one hosted by Weird Al was the last one I can recall, and I bought an old digest collection of Sergio Aragones' work earlier this year), but, I too have many fond memories of reading MAD growing up and it's sad to see it go to mostly reprinting old stuff (although that business model works well for Archie and the gang).

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
honestly surprised it was still going.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Ironically I just bought a mad magazine at the newsstand. It’s still good! They stuck with their format over the years, with the fold-in covers, lighter side of...I chuckled at spy vs. spy too.

Ironically I just subscribed to the mag a few weeks ago!
I saw a great subscription rate on slickdeals and bought it for a laugh or two.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I used to love that and cracked back when I was a kid. It's a shame to see it go, but honestly I thought it was already long gone.

Same here, those mags and too many George Carlin HBO specials helped shape/warp my sense of humor as a kid. The last few times I picked up a random Mad issue weren't great though, seems like more than half the mag was Trump jokes. While they can and should make fun of any sitting president, it gets old when that's most of your material.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Most of it is pop culture and political, doesn't age well.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
MAD Stopped being good after the 90's. However Spy vs Spy will live forever.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I was a MAD fanatic in the 80s and early 90s, but stopped reading it after high school. I'm sorry to see it go, but DC made no attempt to advertise or keep it relevant in the public eye. I could have seen them operating in a similar space as The Onion if they had embraced the Internet and attempted to evolve with technology and interests.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They also fucked up hard by going color. Way more expensive and time consuming to produce, which had to cut into their profit margins significantly. Mad never needed to be in color.