Retropi

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Anyone here have one?
I’m thinking of trying one for arcade games on the crt.
Can anyone answer questions and or point me in the right direction on who or how to set one up?
Looking mainly to play arcade games, like Taito, Sega 32, Cave etc.
Not really interested in the console emulation.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Mm it's not that great at cave
Jamma mister kit

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Raspberry Pi for arcade gaming it's a bit light.
Try Odroid N2 instead and use Batocera with it for a really better perf. and able to run a lot more games.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Mm it's not that great at cave
Jamma mister kit
I love my MiSTer but a lot of the games I want to play the cores haven't been worked on yet.
Raspberry Pi for arcade gaming it's a bit light.
Try Odroid N2 instead and use Batocera with it for a really better perf. and able to run a lot more games.
Going to check that out now.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Buy a mini PC. The Pi is too weak to play the arcade games you want.
I wanted to do a grovymame setup, but I looks to complicated for me to setup. I'm not the best with these kinds of things, that's why I've stayed away from emulation.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Buy a mini PC. The Pi is too weak to play the arcade games you want.
This is the correct answer.

I love Pis and I just built a few new ones based on Pi 3s and Pi 4s, but they are a bit weak for arcade stuff and have to run older Mame romsets. There is still plenty to play if that's what your heart wants. Neo Geo, CPS, most anything in FB Neo runs pretty well up to about Dodonpachi. Personally I'll use Pis for SNES, Genesis and the like but use a PC I made out of spare parts running Batocera for arcade stuff. Even its ancient Ryzen 2200 is more than enough to run just about anything well with close enough to zero lag for me to care.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I love my MiSTer but a lot of the games I want to play the cores haven't been worked on yet.

Going to check that out now.
You said cave and a PI won't emulate these either. At least some of the pre sh3 stuff is on mister.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
This is the correct answer.

I love Pis and I just built a few new ones based on Pi 3s and Pi 4s, but they are a bit weak for arcade stuff and have to run older Mame romsets. There is still plenty to play if that's what your heart wants. Neo Geo, CPS, most anything in FB Neo runs pretty well up to about Dodonpachi. Personally I'll use Pis for SNES, Genesis and the like but use a PC I made out of spare parts running Batocera for arcade stuff. Even its ancient Ryzen 2200 is more than enough to run just about anything well with close enough to zero lag for me to care.
VGA output?
I'm interested in the Batocera , I've also heard of people running " Pandoras box"

I'm just looking for the best way to play I guess MAME on a CRT. So I guess an older computer build is going to be the way to go.
I just remember it being such a pain in the ass to setup years ago, watching the videos on the CRTemulator driver.

You said cave and a PI won't emulate these either. At least some of the pre sh3 stuff is on mister.
I'm happy for at least some Cave 6800 on mister

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm using HDMI output on the Pis, and display port on the PC. Although I do have CRTs, I don't bother with them in emulation, it's too much of a pain to set up well when LCD monitors and emulation are so good these days. I have a 27 inch gaming monitor on a rotating stand, it supports variable refresh rate so it can run virtually any weird arcade refresh rate natively (I haven't set this up yet, but it can do it,) and with the PC I can use Runahead or Preemptive Frames to dial out the lag while also using an advanced shader to make the image look however I want.

I have a 27 inch Sony CRT TV set up and a 20 inch PVM I still need to find a place for, but I just use those with original consoles these days. Doesn't really seem worth it to try to emulate on them when the problems of lag and how SD games look on HD screens have pretty much been solved.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can confirm, Batocera > retroPI. If you want to play anything post PS1, I would go with Batocera.

I found them both very easy to setup, but I think you can find full images of retroPI easier.