Retron SQ hacks and stuff and junk

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I bought a Retron SQ - yes Hyperkin sucks but there seems to be some decent hacks for this thing to be able to adjust the retroarch settings for color palettes, etc.

Has anyone on here done this? I am having some issues and would love if someone could give me some pointers. I've only found 1 video on YT in German and nothing I've done seems to get the same results.

I literally just want to change the color palette.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
You know how to access retroarch menu ?
with one keyboard plugged, press F1 in game.. bla bla bla

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/mieeig
I had never see this console before.
I like is original cube design :giggle:

Exactly - only problem is none of the changes I make in retroarch take effect nor save. Even with the custom firmware. I've seen people do it, I just don't know what I am missing. I'm not interested in expanding the memory on an SD card and side loading roms - literally just want to make a couple retroarch changes and have them work/save. It will turn this device from something kinda' cool - to something I would definitely use.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
only problem is none of the changes I make in retroarch take effect nor save.
Apparently for saving Color change : Quick Menu / Overrides / Save Core Overrides

It probably won't help you, but I have the same issue on my Bartop (Batocera)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Apparently for saving Color change : Quick Menu / Overrides / Save Core Overrides

It probably won't help you, but I have the same issue on my Bartop (Batocera)

Yep - that's my issue. It not only won't save the overrides, but it's like it's ignoring ANY change I make. None of the palettes selected even take affect. It's infuriating.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was totally ignoring this since I figured it was another piece of shit, but since it's apparently just a Retroarch box that plays Gameboy games, that's a little more interesting. I'm going to look into it, it would be more convenient than hooking up the Gamecube player.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I was totally ignoring this since I figured it was another piece of shit, but since it's apparently just a Retroarch box that plays Gameboy games, that's a little more interesting. I'm going to look into it, it would be more convenient than hooking up the Gamecube player.

I can recommend if you are predominantly playing GB/GBC with it. GBA has long "loading" times, since it's just a cart dumper. I didn't really care about playing GBA on it, as I don't really have a huge collection anymore. But GBA does look and run well, but it doesn't have a ton of memory to save GBA roms. Even if you "mod" and swap he SD card, it slows the intro load down to a crawl. It's still Hyperkin trash, but if you want a GB/GBC console, it's pretty damn good.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah I did some digging, and it looks like it won't write the saves back to a GBA cart. Bummer. Looks like GB Player is still the go to.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah I did some digging, and it looks like it won't write the saves back to a GBA cart. Bummer. Looks like GB Player is still the go to.

yes, or a Gamebox GBHD