Real Bout 2 - Balance issues?

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
This guy I met who is really into fighting games was trying to tell me that Real Bout 2 is broken because of the infinites and feint combos, and he made it sound as if online players do them all the time. Honestly, I find the game to be among the best balanced fighters ever, and I don't see how either the infinites or feints really break the game. Besides, infinites are commonly banned in tournaments. Feint-extended combos also tend to take some really expert timing to pull off, especially in a match.

Discuss.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
well I don't play RB2 at a really high level but I am pretty familiar with other competitive fighters. I can't say rb2 is tourney viable, it feels like it but you just never know.

But I do know infinites and feint combos don't make a game unbalanced.... especially not feint combos.

these games with no big scenes are never as balanced as we think they are as it takes alot of people competing and trying to find the edge over eachother to eventually find the bullshit.

There was a small scene for the game in japan though so I think the game is viable.

EDIT: but yes... if there are infinite and difficult combos that are very effective, someone will learn to use them in matches regardless of how hard it is.

Last edited:

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Your friend is an idiot. Real Bout 2 is very balanced. There are tiers in every game and setups for every character - Real Bout 2 does not differ from this. There are characters in the game who cannot feint combo but have other setups which completely make up for this (Duck King) for example.

There are 3 known infinite's in the game and they all require the opponent to be in the corner. Bob Wilson's is probably the easiest. Sokaku's requires some strict timing and Rick Strowd's requires one character space between the fighter's. Getting your opponent to the corner is a struggle in itself using Sokaku. But Rick Strowd can do this easily with his strings.

There's a few hit boxes in the game which need looking at though to keep the game competitive. Lawrence Blood's S.Power has a tendency to whiff at times it shouldn't.

If you get a chance check out Baratoz' RB2 combo videos. They should be all up on youtube somewhere. Very well done.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
checked out some of those barotoz videos, pretty good

I think this is the best RB2 video I've seen so far though, has a few concepts that doesn't look like most others have found.

long as hell but very useful to me, sums up a characters possibilities really nicely when I decide I wanna use someone new. I notice alot of the stuff in these RB2 videos are not unrealistic to apply in matches.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
That's a nice vid. Try not to learn any combos which start off with 5 standing A's. They're not bread and butter. Some of those combos only connect if the opponent tech rolls back or to the side after a knockdown. But knowing your character's tech roll traps is also a key to victory.