RE1 for DS is alright

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
So I got paid, and decided to go get a new DS game because I havent played my DS in ages (animal crossing apathy) , anyway I didn't really want to spend £30 on tetris or RE for that matter. so in gamestation I found a second hand copy of RE for £25, took it to the counter and the guy actually said "oh this is £16.99", bargain.

anyway, I'm just about to kill that snake, havent died yet, either my RE1 memory is good or they've made it super super easy, only been playing for about 2hours so far.

I didn't try rebirth mode as to be honest I wasnt that interested but will play it through after with chris, .. - i'm playing classic mode at the moment and what can I say, its just a perfect port of RE1 psx version to Ds.. FMV and all.

If you're a RE1 fan you can't go wrong with classic mode really, tank like controls and all, ahh , its Re1, bless. it even has the down+b quick 180 turn, and the knife on the L button, the knife is a killer too, very strong.

it looks awesome on the small screen and its probably some of the nicer 3d i've seen on the system. the map on the top screen all the time makes it SO EASY though. hah. you can basically see where you've been and not been in green or red. so its pretty easy to know where you're supposed to be going, and where you can't yet go etc.

anyway, RE1 fans , pick it up, its RE after all.

7.5/10

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
It's all about the speed runs baby.

I have a blast with my RE1. I want to make it my next challenge to use the knife as often as possible and see how many bullets I can retain at the end of the game. So far I can do it for most of the zombies except when I'm 1. Trapped in enclosed space 2. Outnumbered. I haven't figured out how to take down a puppy yet before I pop him one from the handgun, if I go at it with a knife usually I get bitten before I land a slash.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Im going to give it a go. Just waiting for a preowned copy.

And I want to get the nanostray I keep seeing at toys r us for 20 bucks.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
finished with jill on classic mode : 6hrs 8 minutes

\\o

not bad I guess for a run through, i forgot how short the original RE is , the REbirth on cube is fooking massive (and stunning)

anyway .. uh.. great game..

how come I didnt fight the tyrant twice? I got to the helipad, let off a flare, and the ending played..

I rescued jill and chris, but barry died.. how ? I tried to save him, I got the shotgun myself , but he helped me with plant 42 as I had trouble with the V-Jolt.

ah such a great story , and game.

great being portable too

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
Im going to give it a go. Just waiting for a preowned copy.

And I want to get the nanostray I keep seeing at toys r us for 20 bucks.

Don't bother really.
It looks nice but the controll scheme kills it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
HellioN said:
Don't bother really.
It looks nice but the controll scheme kills it.

^_^

the controls are the same as the RE1 controls, not good, but usable easily

:shame:

guess you didnt play much re1? :)

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
kernow said:
^_^

Hes talking about Nanostray. Ass.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
RE1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I've played it way to many times. I can't see myself really enjoying it on a small screen.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
RE1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I've played it way to many times. I can't see myself really enjoying it on a small screen.

Same problem here. The reviews all say it's a great port, but I already own and have played through three versions of this game (PSX, PSX Director's Cut and GC).

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Phoenix Down said:
Same problem here. The reviews all say it's a great port, but I already own and have played through three versions of this game (PSX, PSX Director's Cut and GC).

Yeah, and given the choice between the old version (on any system) or the GC remake, the remake will always win. That game is a masterpiece.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
kernow said:
^_^

As pointed out I was talking about nanostray.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
Yeah, and given the choice between the old version (on any system) or the GC remake, the remake will always win. That game is a masterpiece.

I thought the same, and indeed, REmake on GC is just incredible.

but this is portable! lols, and god, the original RE1 without the GC content is so tiny you could have fun running through it in 4 hours.

worth a purchase at least in my opinion, the small screen makes it look better than the psx original.

hellion - doh!

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
6 hours? Jebus man, you're only like 4 hours off of an S-rank... You wanna try and finish it with only the knife. Jesse "just like me" Ventura-style.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Is it that good? I only played RE4 and could consider bying it in a heartbeat. The fact that it's portable is a great advantage IMO.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I've been considering RE: DS for quite a while now. I might break down and get it on the weekend.

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
genjiglove said:

I allways thought the psx version was a much more difficult game! The Hunters........ In the psx version they can lop your head off with one attack! Dont get me wrong I thought the GC remake was stunning!!! But the psx version was much more hardcore imo. I could easily pop the remake in and beat the whole game without trying. On the psx that is no easy task. Much love for both games though!

To keep on topic, Ive got the ds version and havent put much time in it. Played the rebirth mode for 5 minutes so i cant elaborate on how it compares to the original.
But im amazed that something like RE1 is on a portable system! makes me feel old :kekeke:

bokmeow

I managed to hack my whole way up to the snake mid boss --- have had to heal twice from some zombie bites --- and can't kill the snake even after healing once. Any one have any tips on how to take it down with the knife? I've tried running around the snake to hack at the tail, but the camera angles that keep changing feck me up :emb:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
any benefits of just using the knife then ?

bokmeow

kernow said:
any benefits of just using the knife then ?

Um, none whatsoever :emb: Just the dubious pleasure of being the 'Master of Knifing.' :D

This round is just practice for me. I'm hoping I'll become well-versed in the combat knife that I'll eventually be able to take no bites. This will of course require my skipping probably some items, as I don't have any confidence of escaping unscathed in enclosed spaces like the bathrooms.

The knife does come out fairly quick, maybe a tad bit faster than bullets and requires no reloading, so it almost seems like you're 'stunning' the enemy when you take down prostrate zombies or zombies that are facing away from you.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I dont get rebirth mode though, I thought that every confrontation with zombies would require you to slash with the stylus

however when i watched my friend trying it out in rebirth mode, the first zombie he just had to shoot, and the second one it went into first person view , its like its totally at random, meaning you'd have to hold on to the stylus all the time whilst playing .. odd.

anyway.. I will try it, but if that random stylus hold arse gets on my titties i'll go back to classic mode :buttrock:

Mayhem

Zero's Secretary
Just hit pause. That's what I usually did. And after a while, I actually began to predict where the first person bits would occur so I was already waiting!

bokmeow

kernow said:
I dont get rebirth mode though, I thought that every confrontation with zombies would require you to slash with the stylus

however when i watched my friend trying it out in rebirth mode, the first zombie he just had to shoot, and the second one it went into first person view , its like its totally at random, meaning you'd have to hold on to the stylus all the time whilst playing .. odd.

anyway.. I will try it, but if that random stylus hold arse gets on my titties i'll go back to classic mode :buttrock:

It's much more than that, they moved some things around, moved some zombies around, and in Rebirth mode, they have the new ultra-fast zombies that move at the speed your character runs... almost, because they run into walls all the time. I think it may be almost impossible to knife these zombies, because before you know it, they're upon you, unless you take advantage of clipping problems to knife them.