Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone else pretty stoked to pick this up tomorrow? I've been a big fan of the series for a while now, and most reviews claim that SM plays well even with only one analog stick, so I'm quite looking forward to getting something new to play on the ol' PSP, blow some of the dust off it.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
jro said:
Anyone else pretty stoked to pick this up tomorrow? I've been a big fan of the series for a while now, and most reviews claim that SM plays well even with only one analog stick, so I'm quite looking forward to getting something new to play on the ol' PSP, blow some of the dust off it.

Never played one of these games, but I really like what Insomniac did with Resistance, so I have been looking into this series too.

The previous one looked really good and got good reviews too, so I'll probably be picking this up when it hits Japan, although there is a lot of stuff I want for the PSP right now: Jeanne D'Arc, Monster Hunter Portable, Final Fantasy I Remake...

Edit: Just read that Insomniac didn't do this one.

Last edited:

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
1up gave it a middling review, but everyone else seems to be really happy with it.

I'm planning to pick it up whenever I can unearth myself from all the snow.:p

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Never played one of these games, but I really like what Insomniac did with Resistance, so I have been looking into this series too.

The previous one looked really good and got good reviews too, so I'll probably be picking this up when it hits Japan, although there is a lot of stuff I want for the PSP right now: Jeanne D'Arc, Monster Hunter Portable, Final Fantasy I Remake...

Edit: Just read that Insomniac didn't do this one.
I think I read that the new team includes guys who used to be in Insomniac and worked on the old R and C games, at least. If it's as close to an approximation of the core series as Daxter was to its respective parent, I'll be more than happy.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Picked it up yesterday and put about two hours into it last night.

It's definitely not up to the level of the others in the series. Something about the core combat mechanics just doesn't feel right. It's much more difficult than the other games in the series, primarily due to the fact that enemies seem overpowered, not through sharper level design.

For instance, most enemies take at least three shots from your default/starting weapon. You can power it up through the same experience method as before, but it still doesn't improve much. It even takes three shots from the shotgun thing (concussion gun) to kill most enemies until it's powered up, which is pretty annoying when you get surrounded by 10 enemies that can kill you in two hits.

Enemies do a lot of damage per hit, too. Until you level Ratchet up a bit, many can kill him in one or two hits, which came as a bit of a surprise...

All that wouldn't be bad at all if the strafe controls were easier to manage. By default, strafing is on the digital pad, but it's kind of a pain to reach for it in the middle of a bunch of things that will kill you in a hit or two.

And there are several really annoying sections in every level I've played so far. One level, you keep going down, little by little on an elevator, stopping intermittently to fight a room full of enemies. Goes on forever, very artificial way of increasing difficulty. Seems like they wanted to recreate part of Deadlocked, but not all the way... which doesn't really work for me.

It's still better than most games on the PSP, but it's not in Daxter's league, and it certainly deserved the criticism it got on 1UP.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
jro said:
Picked it up yesterday and put about two hours into it last night.

It's definitely not up to the level of the others in the series. Something about the core combat mechanics just doesn't feel right. It's much more difficult than the other games in the series, primarily due to the fact that enemies seem overpowered, not through sharper level design.

For instance, most enemies take at least three shots from your default/starting weapon. You can power it up through the same experience method as before, but it still doesn't improve much. It even takes three shots from the shotgun thing (concussion gun) to kill most enemies until it's powered up, which is pretty annoying when you get surrounded by 10 enemies that can kill you in two hits.

Enemies do a lot of damage per hit, too. Until you level Ratchet up a bit, many can kill him in one or two hits, which came as a bit of a surprise...

All that wouldn't be bad at all if the strafe controls were easier to manage. By default, strafing is on the digital pad, but it's kind of a pain to reach for it in the middle of a bunch of things that will kill you in a hit or two.

And there are several really annoying sections in every level I've played so far. One level, you keep going down, little by little on an elevator, stopping intermittently to fight a room full of enemies. Goes on forever, very artificial way of increasing difficulty. Seems like they wanted to recreate part of Deadlocked, but not all the way... which doesn't really work for me.

It's still better than most games on the PSP, but it's not in Daxter's league, and it certainly deserved the criticism it got on 1UP.

A buddy of mine picked it up on Thursday and was raving about it on the phone to me last night.

He seemed really happy with it.

I grabbed Monster Hunter Portable. Will be firing it up today.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Finally got a chance to start playing it last night. FYI, it requires at least version 2.82 Firmware to play.

Pretty fun game, production values are fairly high (good CGI and the original cast does voiceovers). The biggest weakness is the fact that it really plays just like the other Ratchet games, other than the story there's really not much you haven't seen before.

Controls take a little getting used to but they actually work pretty well. You use the analog stick for standard 3D movement and the digital pad to move while strafing. The only gripe there is that sometimes you want to look up or down and you really can't, the L and R buttons rotate the camera horizontally only.

As a big Ratchet fan though I certainly don't mind. :D