Rainbow Edition-style Neo hacks in the 90's: what existed?

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Nowadays there's a blue million hacks of Neo fighters thanks to the influx of bootleg and multi-game carts over the past 10 years or so. Back in the mid-90's when both fighters and SNK hit their stride it was fairly common to come across Street Fighter II cabs (and to a lesser extent, MKII) with various unauthorized ROM upgrades in them.

Those hacks always held a fascination for me. During that time I never did come across a Neo cab with a hacked game in it. The only "original" hacks from that time I've ever come across were 2 KoF '96 MVS carts that used original SNK boards/chips but had one additional EEPROM added that allowed playable bosses and an instantly-filled super meter. (Which as a side note is pretty cool because like '98 I don't think you can play as the bosses in MVS mode even with the Unibios.) I never actually saw either of these in the wild, I just picked them up from collectors way after their release.

Did anyone ever see or own any other hacked Neo games from back then? I know there's a ton of shit now but they've all been manufactured recently and don't use original SNK parts like those I mentioned. I know the socketed hardware setup of SFII:CE made it easy to hack, but I came across quite a few MKII hacks and even a SFII:WW hack.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Never seen an mvs out in the wild...

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter however made its way to almost every place I remember going in my childhood.