Questions About and Tips for a Big Red Cab

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
A local arcade distributor let me meander about his warehouse looking for cabs I'd be interested in, and I stumbled upon a 1-slot cabinet. It was buried in fairly deep, so I'll have to go back and help him dig it out. When I asked about it, he said that if it works, he'd sell it for $300. So while I twirl it around in my head, I thought of a few questions.

-It's a one-slot MVS, but it has the solid black sides, with no writing on it. Is it a conversion?

-How reliable are the one-slot boards?

-What's the best way to transport an arcade cab?

-Should I buy it, what's the best way I can keep it in good shape?

-And finally, is it possible to convert a single slot to a 2 or 4 slot cab?

I thought I'd do some research before I bite the bullet. Any answers are very appreciated.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A local arcade distributor let me meander about his warehouse looking for cabs I'd be interested in, and I stumbled upon a 1-slot cabinet. It was buried in fairly deep, so I'll have to go back and help him dig it out. When I asked about it, he said that if it works, he'd sell it for $300. So while I twirl it around in my head, I thought of a few questions.

-It's a one-slot MVS, but it has the solid black sides, with no writing on it. Is it a conversion?

-How reliable are the one-slot boards?

-What's the best way to transport an arcade cab?

-Should I buy it, what's the best way I can keep it in good shape?

-And finally, is it possible to convert a single slot to a 2 or 4 slot cab?

I thought I'd do some research before I bite the bullet. Any answers are very appreciated.

1. It's a conversion, the only dedicated one slot I know of is the Samurai Shodown II cab.
2. One slots are pretty much tanks, there are chips that may go bad, Z80 error, bad ram, etc
3. A truck, you can lay it on it's side if that's your worry
4. That's your call. To keep it in good shape? Don't treat it like a whore.
5. It is, but would most likely cost you more than buying a dedicated 2 or 4 slot.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
1. It's a conversion, the only dedicated one slot I know of is the Samurai Shodown II cab.
2. One slots are pretty much tanks, there are chips that may go bad, Z80 error, bad ram, etc
3. A truck, you can lay it on it's side if that's your worry
4. That's your call. To keep it in good shape? Don't treat it like a whore.
5. It is, but would most likely cost you more than buying a dedicated 2 or 4 slot.

Thank you. Much appreciated

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Get at least a 2 slot, if its wired for mvs you can stick a 4 slot board in.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I bought a nice one slot converted cab for 300 a few years back and I don't regret it. Eventually I found a good deal on a 2 slot board and an adapter for the wiring.