Pulstar no pod, no power/speed up 1cc video

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
These aren't my videos, but I found them on NicoNico while I was looking for Neo Geo related videos and thought you guys would like to take a look. This is a Pulstar playthrough with absolutely no power up or speed up collected through the entire game. The title says Level 8 but I can't confirm that. Let me know what you guys think.

Part 1:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31772927

Part 2:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31772971

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Once you learn the lines, as crazy as it sounds, the game is surprisingly beatable.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Has anybody done a good Pulstar play by play guide on the site? I tried to 1cc it on my own but only got to lvl 5 boss on my own. I am not that great at shooters and would love to try to 1cc this bastard.

Shmuppy

Banned
Once you learn the lines, as crazy as it sounds, the game is surprisingly beatable.

Kind of yes but look at part2 0:49. This guy has some serious skills. Incredible.

Edit: And let's not forget no extras on Lvl 8, puhh.

@Digmac the right katakana saying something like: No "this?" no mistake.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's very impressive, yes, but doesn't he use auto-fire? That would count as a power up.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It's very impressive, yes, but doesn't he use auto-fire? That would count as a power up.

I'm pretty sure you'd wear your finger down to a nub with no rapid/charge power-ups collected. It looks like he is, but I don't fault him and I don't see it as an issue. If you can't replicate his playthrough even with autofire, you don't have room to talk lol. That's just my opinion.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm pretty sure you'd wear your finger down to a nub with no rapid/charge power-ups collected. It looks like he is, but I don't fault him and I don't see it as an issue. If you can't replicate his playthrough even with autofire, you don't have room to talk lol. That's just my opinion.

Ok, but you get in-game power ups to increase your shot frequency and that's also what auto-fire does. It could count as a power up then. It's a nice find Digmac, but there's always room to talk. Would be pretty boring, if there wasn't. That's just my opinion. I already said it's impressive, but was curious to know more, that's all.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Ok, but you get in-game power ups to increase your shot frequency and that's also what auto-fire does. It could count as a power up then. It's a nice find Digmac, but there's always room to talk. Would be pretty boring, if there wasn't. That's just my opinion. I already said it's impressive, but was curious to know more, that's all.

I'm waiting to see some kind of bump stock finger attachment to circumvent auto-fire rules.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Kind of yes but look at part2 0:49. This guy has some serious skills. Incredible.

Edit: And let's not forget no extras on Lvl 8, puhh.

@Digmac the right katakana saying something like: No "this?" no mistake.

Yea ok chumbawumba, still waiting on your amazing 1cc videos.

Shmuppy

Banned

Yepp he uses AF. Without it would be no fun but still possible I guess? Didn't we have the discussion if AF is cheating or not? For me it's not really. For others it is. As long as I don't activate some other funny stuff I'm OK with it, it's more fun and less tiring.

Yea ok chumbawumba, still waiting on your amazing 1cc videos.

I have one--> Crimzon Clover World Ignition in Novice (still learning this masterpiece even after 70hrs) Boost Mode. 2.09GB 1080p/60. Where can I drop this big file?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Didn't we have the discussion if AF is cheating or not? For me it's not really.

In Japan it's generally not considered cheating, so it's mostly never even mentioned, if auto fire was used or not. I wouldn't call it "cheating" anyway, the question is rather if it should be mentioned, and for me personally it depends on the game and the kind of challenge you're aiming at, weather such an indication is required.

Like when you play Viewpoint for score, where auto-fire changes the whole difficulty level, even the whole structure of the game. There it should be mentioned. It's still not cheating, it just becomes a separate category. In this particular case with Pulstar, the challenge is called "no power ups" and I'd only argue that AF counts as such.

But never mind, since there's another important category which seldom gets mentioned. Kid Panda already implied it, when he said "once you learn the lines...". Exactly how did this guy learned them? Back in the days, players invested their own hard earned money to learn a game. They literally quarter munched a machine, till they learned the lines.

Consequently, a one coin clear required either a big pocket or natural talent and in both cases, a now unimaginable amount of patience. It also required you to dedicate yourself to just a single game. That was the case, until the age of emulation provided TAS, auto-save functions, i.e. computer aided learning, which forever replaced talent as an extremely potent catalyst. Current players can learn the lines with no expense and about ten time faster, if not more.

They also don't need to dedicate themselves to one game, that's why it's possible for one guy to hold records in several games, one-cc whole libraries or waste time for fascinating, yet somehow hollow challenges, like this one here in Pulstar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to progress or such challenges, I just learned to hold my respect for past arcade pioneers and doubt we're dealing with one here. The times to drool over any anonymous video with no background information whatsoever are definitely over.

Shmuppy

Banned
In Japan it's generally not considered cheating, so it's mostly never even mentioned, if auto fire was used or not. I wouldn't call it "cheating" anyway, the question is rather if it should be mentioned, and for me personally it depends on the game and the kind of challenge you're aiming at, weather such an indication is required.

Like when you play Viewpoint for score, where auto-fire changes the whole difficulty level, even the whole structure of the game. There it should be mentioned. It's still not cheating, it just becomes a separate category. In this particular case with Pulstar, the challenge is called "no power ups" and I'd only argue that AF counts as such.

But never mind, since there's another important category which seldom gets mentioned. Kid Panda already implied it, when he said "once you learn the lines...". Exactly how did this guy learned them? Back in the days, players invested their own hard earned money to learn a game. They literally quarter munched a machine, till they learned the lines.

Consequently, a one coin clear required either a big pocket or natural talent and in both cases, a now unimaginable amount of patience. It also required you to dedicate yourself to just a single game. That was the case, until the age of emulation provided TAS, auto-save functions, i.e. computer aided learning, which forever replaced talent as an extremely potent catalyst. Current players can learn the lines with no expense and about ten time faster, if not more.

They also don't need to dedicate themselves to one game, that's why it's possible for one guy to hold records in several games, one-cc whole libraries or waste time for fascinating, yet somehow hollow challenges, like this one here in Pulstar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to progress or such challenges, I just learned to hold my respect for past arcade pioneers and doubt we're dealing with one here. The times to drool over any anonymous video with no background information whatsoever are definitely over.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I've seen a guy making a 1cc in Twin Cobra without AF of course, NP. Then I got Ultimate Tiger for my PCE and didn't want to "ruin" the AC exp. and mashed that button. After a while I gave up and put on AF. Probably because it was a pad I was gaming with and probably because the game is hard as fuck anyway.

Abaout changing difficulty with AF. Gun Frontier punishes you severely when using it you get pretty quickly to max difficulty. The designer regretted such an "anti AF?" implementation. That tells something.

What I absolutely hate is stuff like in Sine Mora where you have stock AF but you can boost that up. If AF is stock than make it the maximum the game can offer and not halfassed.

As I mentioned in another post Darius Gaiden didn't have AF. Many Japanese Arcades used AF circuitry. Taito listened and put it in Ver.2.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Just finished to watch the whole thing. That's a pretty impressive run.

This is the kind of game I love but can't play to avoid hating it :D
It's a work of art. However, the slugish slowdown pace kills the fun a bit too.

Shmuppy

Banned
Just finished to watch the whole thing. That's a pretty impressive run.

This is the kind of game I love but can't play to avoid hating it :D
It's a work of art. However, the slugish slowdown pace kills the fun a bit too.

I wonder what happens when overclocking the 68K to let's say 14+MHz? MD goes up to 10MHz without any problem and it shows in some games like Super Hang On which the first version ran between 30fps and 20fps. Rev.2 was capped at 20fps. Road Rash with its sofware scaling runs smoother too.

Edit: OK it has been done to 16MHz, very cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GzSfi_RY4

This is the link in his description. http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html?show=aesoc

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I might give this mod a try on one of my one slot boards... Seems easy to do.