PSP falling behind in Japan

BIG

sony fanboy
PSP = too expensive,not enough games.

I still like mine for teh isos/romz,though :kekeke:

B-

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Sadly that's what I use my PSP for too now. Well, I don't really use it for emulators anymore. That got old fast.

The PSP games are priced way too high for what they offer IMO anyway. EA can kiss my ass asking for $50 for their PSP games, hell no. I can live without them. At most I might buy 2 or 3 PSP games in the next 6 months, but no more that. And even then it would mainly be because I can't play them off my 1GB MS. :kekeke:

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
Crazy, especially when you consider that Japan has seen a steady release of games for the system.

I guess a lot of gamers are realising that they do "dig" innovation rather than raw power. I myself enjoy both my PSP and my DS : the first for regular games whenever I feel like it and the second for the cool features and great games being released.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol @ people who thought a nintendo handheld would lose

¬_¬

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't see how this affects me at all. I, along with four of my mates own a PSP and all have at least one or two of the same games allowing for great multiplayer. For single playing, the PSP lacks considering it's current line-up, but this will change with future releases.

I cannot stress how much fun Untold Legends is with three mates playing as well. :buttrock:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I still think the PSP will hang in there

it'll sit at 2nd place for a while

personally, I'd rather have a DS

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think that after the coolness factor wore off, most people realized that they weren't really enjoying the lineup, and that the PSP became little more than another fragile $300 device to carry around and worry about.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Great article.
However, all the bitching and "I told you so" shit in this thread is pointless.
Lets not overlook the fact that practicaly all owners of the PSP love the actuall system itself yet a majority of DS owners realize that (while the software selection is great) the harware is a bloaded pain in the ass.
Makes no difference though. Both systems are tops & for the first time we have two systems aimed @ two different user bases & carrying it off just fine.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
The DS has only sold about 400,000 more this year. Don't forget that there were more DS's available in '04 than there were PSP's. The DS is winning for a reason in Japan though...those damn dogs.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Even PS1 was not so pop until the massive price drops.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
The DS has about 1 000 000 more sales in total over there. 400 000 thousand this yr and about 600 000 last yr. I have played every single game released over there and games are just not that fun or they down right suck. Like the megaman legends games. There horrible... They do more damage then good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If sony cut the price on the PSP then i expect it would sell well. I think the PSP is a great little device, however, being a poor college student I just can't afford one. So I went with the DS because of price and because of all the great titles that have come out for it of late. The PSP just needs a killer app.

I think i may pick up Nintendogs :kekeke:

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'm not a Sony fan, but if the PSP for some reason didn't make it, we would be stuck with the same old Nintenedo handheld standard. Thank goodness someone else made another handheld. Who really needs another version of the same thing Nintendo came out with 5 years ago (sorry GBA micro). Just think how bad it would be if Microsoft never challenged PS2. Nintendo might dominate the handhelds, but its still good to have competition, if only to prevent staggnation of a competitors product.

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
I think it's good not to put too much power in one company's hands, but in reality I think it would be better to have fewer longer-lived console formats rather than this constant rush to obsolescence. The best games of the current (non-handheld) generation could all run on any of the three main machines, and it would be nicer for me if I could have one console instead of three, for the sake of cabling if not cost. :)

The way of things with tech is that one format usually dominates, with about 85% of the market. I don't really know if we'll see that with the PSP and DS, since they are sufficiently different.

oceanfrr

Mr. Big's Thug
Thats a bummer, yea, I think its the that are making the games for it lacks rpgs?

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
My biggest complaint about the psp as an owner is, where are all the fucking games???? Everything gets pushed back, we don't see a fraction of what they see in Japan, every damn game is a dumbed down port and there are easily 4-5x as many movies as there are games. I didn't get the system to have to rebuy movies that I already own at $20-30 a pop, that's ludicrous.

I'm also happy that Sony did this, someone with a bit of clout really needed to challenge Nintendo on the handheld side. If anyone's got the staying power to outlast that gameboy, it's Sony. I'm not saying I hate the gameboy, either, but Nintendo has really gone unanswered for far too long. When major corporations compete hard for the consumer's dollar, the consumer wins.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Yeah, the JPN releases have been completely lacking too. I did have plans to buy one a year ago, but I am glad they were hard to get hold of at the time.

So far there has been almost no original software, and those few that did make it (Lumines for example) isn't exactly a system seller for me.

Apparently a Gradius 1-4 compilation for the PSP has just been announced. Somehow lame ports and retro game compilations just don't make me want to buy the system.

I will probably get one when GT Portable gets released, but even that may just turn out to be a port of sorts.

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
The problem I find with PSP and the reason I do not have one yet is that the games so far kinda suck. There are some games I really do want to play for it but in general, all you have are some racing games and generic platformers. Nothing that creative.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
I had no problem with the screen, and honestly, I thought it was gorgeous. Definitely the system's best feature. But yeah, where are the good games? I liked Metal Gear Acid, but there are a ton of other card games out there that can fill that void.

oceanfrr

Mr. Big's Thug
Yea thats the thing they are lacking (games, RPGs), maybe they need more companies.