PS5 Question

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Forgive my stupidity on the subject, I’ve asked a few people but want some clarification if someone knows.

So I got a PS5 on the way from Amazon next week, I got the link to buy today. So I have King of Fighters for PS4. I know the PS5 version has added backgrounds among other things. Will my PS4 copy give me a digital copy of the PS5 version, or will it just let me play the PS4 version on PS5?

I looked and the only game I have preordered right now is the Cowabunga Collection. Is there any benefit changing my PS4 version to PS5? I would assume it would be the same version basically, especially if again I can just run the PS4 version on PS5. Forgive my ignorance I don’t know much about PS5, I guess I’m asking if the benefit of having PS4 versions is I can run it on my PS4 or PS5 versus just PS5

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
a free PS5 uprade for the PS4 version is available, you have to keep the PS4 disc in the PS5 to play though. you can download the upgrade via its PSN store page.
most upgrades are free, some cost money, like death stranding's directors cut version was 10 bux if you already owned the PS4 one.

with TMNT its probably the same experience. Shredder's Revenge doesn't even offer a PS5 version for example.
non-upgraded PS4 games usually load faster and run better on PS5.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
a free PS5 uprade for the PS4 version is available, you have to keep the PS4 disc in the PS5 to play though. you can download the upgrade via its PSN store page.
most upgrades are free, some cost money, like death stranding's directors cut version was 10 bux if you already owned the PS4 one.

with TMNT its probably the same experience. Shredder's Revenge doesn't even offer a PS5 version for example.
non-upgraded PS4 games usually load faster and run better on PS5.
Thank you, you answered all my questions, much appreciated.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Cowabunga Collection won't have any benefit other than a minor load time upgrade. If you're leaving the PS4 hooked up, I would just leave it on there.

Just keep in mind the PS5 version of KOF XV is more strict about which controllers can be used. The PS5 version has built-in support for some legacy controllers. But my brother for example has to play the PS4 version on his PS5 because his stick is a PS2 HRAP with an adapter. Still a great controller, but totally unsupported by the PS5 for native PS5 games.