PS2 Shmups-What Do You Recommend?

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
It's great how there's so many decent ports of arcade release on the PlayStation 2 for so little money. I got Gunbird Special for £5. Only really the rarer Cave games that cost big bucks.
What is the NTSC-J release of Gunbird worth? I've been collecting copies of the PS2 titles I enjoy. From what I could tell on eBay people are trying to sell it for around $50. The PAL title is going for as little as $10. I wish we would have gotten that one in the states. I can get a sealed PAL copy cheaper than the Japanese release.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I've been thinking of buying the PAL version of Gunbird Special. It has selectable 50-60hz at boot up. At least the burned copy I played did. It might have been added when it was ripped. I'm not sure.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I doubt that's in the commercial release but if someone knows otherwise let me know. It's a shame we didn't get more US releases on the vertical PS2 shmups.

Definitely Gradius V and the Taito and Capcom compilations. Personally, I am quite partial towards RayStorm and especially Darius Gaiden. Love the atmosphere and iconoclastic music in that one.

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I picked up Espgaluda and have been playing it quite a bit, hopefully after the holidays I will get some more cash together to try out a few more games.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I picked up Espgaluda and have been playing it quite a bit, hopefully after the holidays I will get some more cash together to try out a few more games.
If you're digging it then see if you can pick up Mushihimesama at a non-retarded price. Most people selling it are hustling unfortunately. The 360 sequel is a cheaper pickup if you have one.

Last edited:

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If you're digging it then see if you can pick up Mushihimesama at a non-retarded price. Most people selling it are hustling unfortunately. The 360 sequel is a cheaper pickup if you have one.

Yeah I played the sequel to Mushihimesama at an arcade, and I was really digging it. I will have to hunt around for a good deal, and I do not have a 360. I kind of want one, but I honestly have no room for another console, or enough money.

What is the NTSC-J release of Gunbird worth? I've been collecting copies of the PS2 titles I enjoy. From what I could tell on eBay people are trying to sell it for around $50. The PAL title is going for as little as $10. I wish we would have gotten that one in the states. I can get a sealed PAL copy cheaper than the Japanese release.

Cheapest on eBay is around £30, so yeah you're dead on. The PAL copy is actually a really nice package, go for it!

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I started playing Dragon Blaze from the Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3. I was really into it until it had sprung the Gunbird "You suck at this level, start over." I somewhat understand their intention, but it really takes me out of the mindset that I'm playing a game to mellow out.