Places that are accepting chipped credit cards

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Oh I remember the reason why I won't use my card at that one store. It isn't because the transaction takes longer or I have to add more insertion marks to my card. Its that the machine runs the card as debit even if you choose credit. So their system basically forces you to use the personal info on the chip to make the purchase. Rather than if you run the card as credit, then it goes through the credit card company. If the store were to be hacked, then the credit card portion of the card being compromised isn't a big deal. What is on that chip that is read by the machine?

The data being read on the machine is the same whether it's credit or debit, the chip just creates a one way encryption so that a mitm attack is useless. Your pan data from the card gets stored on a transaction server on the way to the processor in a truncated form. Debit transactions are cheaper to process so most stores have a threshold limit where they force debit (I.e. under $2 force debit). It's specific to the store though, there is no industry wide norm on that one. Using nfc payments is the cheapest so I'm surprised more stores haven't implemented applepay and Android pay, we love it and so do customers.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Debit transactions are cheaper to process so most stores have a threshold limit where they force debit (I.e. under $2 force debit). It's specific to the store though, there is no industry wide norm on that one.

Yes there is, it is not allowed. A business can't refuse a credit card charge or enforce a minimum purchase price for accepting a credit payment. Its in the merchant agreement.

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
Can someone please tell me who thought the "went through" sound of chipped credit cards should sound like an alarm going off signifying a declined credit card? I mean I've talked to a few people and 2 loud BZZZ sounds does not sound like an accepted sound.

I know the feeling. The good buzz and the bad buzz are the same buzz.

I also hate that for my chipped credit union ATM card, I now have to insert my card, remove my card, then re-insert it. And they don't really tell you this so you just sort of sit there looking like an idiot.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
We have tons of people at work asking if the chip readers works, and the tards at work don't even have them working yet. People still don't know how to use swipe cards, it'll take endless re-education to get them using the chips.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I had mine crash the fucking register at Target, so they brought me to another register, and that register also crashed. The third time worked, though. I told them that I thought it was silly that the new technology was so awful. The cashier proceeded to blame me for supposedly putting the card in wrong like I'm some kind of idiot. My reply was that even if I had done it wrong, it shouldn't cause their system to fuck up. The last few times I went, it worked okay though.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The cashier proceeded to blame me for supposedly putting the card in wrong like I'm some kind of idiot.

That reminds me of a place I worked, our badges had mag strips. So you swipe your badge in the time clock. One time I was bored and tried the wrong card in it (A supermarket member card) and it made a strange sound. So of course I tell my co-workers this and they go and start swiping on the time clock with the wrong cards... and it died. :D