Pioneer LaserActive...anyone own one of these monsters?

aria

Former Moderator
Congrats --I know you've been working on this collection for years. It must feel nice to have finished it.

Bobak

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
For the Pretty Illusion games I bought four Palcom games of this guy and he said he had most of the adult catalog I forgot which exact ones though . He wanted about $100 a game and said they were new/near mint. Pm me if you want his email address, heres his websight: cdjapan If not he can be on the lookout for you.

Again can you give a description of Goku, 3d Australia and do you know anything about Steel Driver?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Congratulations on finding that beast!

Are you actually going to pay it, or were you just going to keep it on display?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You just press the directions appear onscreen while watching the anime a la Dragon's Lair. Does that constitute as playing?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Yeah on the laseractive.
Also the turbo has "murder club" or somthing on it, its a fun game and the pc engine version will go to english after playing around with the menu.

I should've explained this sooner (I did it in DP and AtariAge), there're 2 JB Harold games on LaserActive:

-Manhattan Requiem

Versions available:
Jp LD-Rom2
US LD-Rom2

-Blue Chicago Blues

Versions available:
Jp LD-Rom2
Jp MegaLD
US MegaLD

Both games in all versions have both Japanese and English available. The only games that display just single language of their respective versions are Don Quixote, Goku, Melon Brains, not sure about The Great Pyramid, Baseley09, can you check if your LD can display only one language? This doesn't apply to Japan-only titles like all adult games and Back To The Edo. BTW, Goku, IMHO, is the best educainment title for LaserActive, it's one of the few I keep going back and see the 7 great civilizations. Unfortunately it's also the rarest among Goku, 3D Museum, Melon Brain, and The Great Pyramid.

Congratulations on finding that beast!

Are you actually going to pay it, or were you just going to keep it on display?

You bet I'll play those, the only collection I actually don't open and keep them sealed is my Dreamcast collection, yes, all US, sealed, only because I had chance to get multiple copies cheap in the early 2000s, else I'd never waste money on such insanity.

There's also a Japanese LaserActive site with list of games

http://www.game-nostalgia.net/ld/ld.html

Looks like some games were developed but never got released.

For a complete list of release games

http://homepage2.nifty.com/gamedatabase/software/DB_PNC_LA1993-1996.html#LA1995

I can confirm the list is accurate and the only game I have not seen is Goku-LD-Rom2 version. Needless to say, Goku - LD-Rom2, along with 3D Virtual Australia are indeed impossible to find.

For any retro game fans, you may look up his game lists for other systems

http://homepage2.nifty.com/gamedatabase/index.html

It's the most complete so far I have seen, last one I've seen this compete was a German website.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I should've explained this sooner (I did it in DP and AtariAge), there're 2 JB Harold games on LaserActive:

I know I have all three games Manhattan Requiem, Blue Chicago Blues and Murder Club (turbo cd).
SO Gokus an Edutainment title? Im glad I didnt bid over $90 for it then.
What about 3d Australia, would you share any info on that?

Last edited:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
I don't have my Laseractive any more to check The Great Pyramid unfortunately, the hobby was too expensive for me at the time!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I know I have all three games Manhattan Requiem, Blue Chicago Blues and Murder Club (turbo cd).
SO Gokus an Edutainment title? Im glad I didnt bid over $90 for it then.
What about 3d Australia, would you share any info on that?

I didn't play 3D Virtual Australia extensively since it's Jp only, but it's more like a tour book showing all major tourist attractions in Australia. As for Goku, I actually enjoy this title, it has 7 main sections, about the 7 great civilizations. Since Son Goku is traveling with a flying stick, he can look around all the architectural wonders and even inside those buildings.

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
That´s not what dragged me into this system btw, it was a decade ago based on the false claim that it had enhanced audio capabilities via toslink, so I could play mega drive / pc engine games with high fidelity audio. I was pissed when I found that didn´t work.

Does the Toslink connection work with LaserActive games or only LDs/CDs? I wasn't getting anything when I tried it the other day....

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Does the Toslink connection work with LaserActive games or only LDs/CDs? I wasn't getting anything when I tried it the other day....

It doesnt work with all games or even movies. I remember one games was playing all the wrong sounds, and old movies that arnt digital stereo youll hear nothing.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I'm still looking for the following Japanese games, feel free to PM me if you spot one on eBay or Yahoo Japan:

MegaLD-

Blue Chicago Blues (I have US MegaLD and Jp LD-Rom2 versions)
Pretty Illusion
Pretty Illusion II
Road Blaster

LD-Rom2-

Goku (just found out it was also published for LD-Rom2, indeed VERY RARE)
Melon Brains

Well, I do have chance to get 2 of the 6 missing games above, they're on eBay now, but I simply don't have desire to get all games in both versions and with both modules (Mega-LD and LD-Rom2), I have all distinct games, am content, and I'd rather spend money on other MVS games at the moment.

Goku (LD-Rom2) - this is by far the rarest LaserActive game, Mega LD versions (both English and Japanese) are fairly common in LaserActive standard, for those interested in archiving video game list library, this is one of few opportunities to save the pics.

www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GOKU-LD-ROM-L...E-PIONEER-JAPAN-IMPORT-BRAND-NEW/222503723588

Road Blaster (MegaLD)

I sold this game for $80 back in 2001 to fund my collection, now it's 10 times as much if I want it back, well, I have 2 US copies now (1 is sealed and another to play regularly) so I'll pass for the moment.

www.ebay.com/itm/ROAD-BLASTER-PROSE...SERACTIVE-JAPAN-IMPORT-WITH-SPIN/222399040296

Pretty Illusions (I and II) are really crappy titles (calling them adult games is a joke) so I am not even wasting any more money on it. I have 2 Blue Chicago Blues, 1 US MegaLD and 1 Japanese LD-Rom2, no need to buy Japanese MegaLD. I have only seen Melon Brain JP LD-Rom2 once, ever on Yahoo Japan, it's how crazy rare those games are.

We often talk about about how rare some NG games can be, but, it's nothing compared to LaserActive, the prices are driven up by demand.

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Crazy beans. I've never seen a ROMROM Goku pop up, the only sale I know of was quite expensive from one collector to another.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I can confirm the list is accurate and the only game I have not seen is Goku-LD-Rom2 version. Needless to say, Goku - LD-Rom2, along with 3D Virtual Australia are indeed impossible to find.

Given the crazy scarcity and limited run, I pulled the trigger. It's well worth it and I won't regret.

Choice was simple, this offer could be my only chance of getting it, let alone being sealed/new and under $1000, the only time this game had been offered reportedly was on YHJ, I didn't see it but someone told me he saw it for not much less a few years ago, so I consider this offer once-in-a-lifetime for me.

Road Blaster can wait, this game is much more common, like Time Gal, just being popular and a very good game.

Goku is the last LD-Rom2 game released on Oct 20th, 1995 (the 2 prior games were released almost a year earlier, Blue Chicago Blues and Melon Brains), the total production run has to be very low.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/レーザーアクティブ

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/tetuya/FXHP/pcengine/hard/ldrom.html

Goku_LDRom2_Front.jpg

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Heh, after you posted it I looked at it hard myself and debated pulling the trigger, but that's a ton a money for what is when it boils down to it, just another port.

If you're going for all release in all regions the ROMROM Goku would have been the stopping point, everything else is easy enough to find if you're patient, though Melon is pretty uncommon. I got my JP Road Blaster for like $100 off YJA when I picked it up, it's just all about keeping your eyes peeled.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Well, this is the second LaserActive game which I spent more than $200, first one was Time Gal at almost $1000 back in 2010. It's all good, happy with my decision.

I just rolled up game counts of each version's modules -

MegaLD Japanese - 24
LD-Rom2 Japanese - 14
MegaLD US/Can - 15
LD-Rom2 US/Can 3

There are 31 distinct titles (regardless of module), but if you want to get all, it will be 56 titles.

The system never lived up to its potential, not sure why Pioneer never worked with American Laser Games or Cinemetronics for arcade perfect versions of Mad Dog McCree, Dragon's Lairs, and Space Ace. instead, those games surfaced on inferior CDi, JagCD, 3DO, and even MegaCD.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I had all but forgotten, about this guy until coming across it again while bumming around Wiki...although expensive as all this system sounds awesome. It could play laserdiscs and be a Genesis/PC-E? I'm just curious about any information regarding it, especially from anyone that actually owns/owned one.

It was a part of that massive dump of consoles from the 90s, but definitely a piece that is really interesting in any regard.

Pioneer_LaserActive_CLD-A100.jpg

It kinda reminds me of this fucking thing...

panasonic-gamecube-q-sl-gc10-console-bundle-controller-manual-cable-japan-4326a46b734c0ed036c63fceffeca538.jpg