original GBA system - battery options and questions

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I've been playing around with an IPS screen-modded GBA system. I really love it and it has me revisiting the GBA library...BUT! The battery life kinda' sucks with this new screen.

I am currently using some Enloop 1900mah batteries...they're better, but still kinda' meh.

I just ordered some 3200mah rechareables today I'm anxious to try out.

My question for people that know more about this stuff than me:

If I put rechargeable batteries in my system and use this cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charge...y-Advance-SP-GBA-SP-Nintendo-DS-/323753665445

Would this allow me to charge them in the system, or will everything explode and melt in flames? Killing me and all those I hold dear.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You should look into this.

Ive heard installation is relatively painless.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To answer the first question, no it won't work since the original GBA doesn't have any kind of charging circuit in it like the SP models. I hadn't seen that HHL thing, that's really cool.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
To answer the first question, no it won't work since the original GBA doesn't have any kind of charging circuit in it like the SP models. I hadn't seen that HHL thing, that's really cool.

cool, I assumed as much. thx

I ordered that HHL battery thing - will report back. Testing it against the 3200mah batteries I bought

Why did I think it was a great idea to put together what is essentially a GBA that cost me $150?!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why did I think it was a great idea to put together what is essentially a GBA that cost me $150?!

Seemed like a good idea at the time. I still use an SP2 or a DS Lite for the most part.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I 2nd the DS Lite...
I love the DS Lite. I would love the SP2 if only it didn't require a dongle for headphones. The battery times are great and I have the USB cable you linked that keeps it running

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The SP2 is my preferred way to GBA too. I know most people like the OG model, but for some reason it gives me hand cramps while the SP doesn’t.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The SP2 is my preferred way to GBA too. I know most people like the OG model, but for some reason it gives me hand cramps while the SP doesn’t.

SP2 has always been my go-to...but this new IPS screen is hard to not prefer

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Thats a hell of a system when you replace components and throw an everdrive in there.

SP2 has always been my go-to...but this new IPS screen is hard to not prefer

I've been curious about this

How is it compared to the AGS101 screen?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Thats a hell of a system when you replace components and throw an everdrive in there.

I've been curious about this

How is it compared to the AGS101 screen?

It's way better, no ghosting, no visible pixel dots - I'd compare it to a PS Vita 2000 screen

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So, I ordered the power up advance from Handheld Legend....AVOID!

The battery they ship with it was super swollen and they just told me, "yeah they be like that" - I'm gonna' see if I can't find the battery elsewhere in hopes of getting a good one...but I can't recommend at all after this.