Opened up all my MVS carts and was wondering...

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Is it normal for the two boards to have different years of production printed on them? Even games I own with serials and holographic labels sometimes have, say, a board from 97 and a board from 99. Most of the chips are Toshiba and the usual.

Another thing I was wondering-- Was it common for SNK to do repairs with the rom chips that have the little clear window with the rainbow looking chip beneath? I have an Art of Fighting 2 with a few of these in them. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now as I keep my big red baby at my friend's house. Thanks!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Is it normal for the two boards to have different years of production printed on them? Even games I own with serials and holographic labels sometimes have, say, a board from 97 and a board from 99. Most of the chips are Toshiba and the usual.

Yes.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Another thing I was wondering-- Was it common for SNK to do repairs with the rom chips that have the little clear window with the rainbow looking chip beneath? I have an Art of Fighting 2 with a few of these in them. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now as I keep my big red baby at my friend's house. Thanks!
Puzzle Bobble is the only cart I'm know of that is known to usually contain eproms.

Yours sounds like a boot, however who the hell would boot AOF2 MVS?

Take pics if you want to confirm.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Some legit carts have an EPROM or two. Puzzle Bobble certainly isn't the only game. Take KOF 2001 for example.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Okay, took some pics. Sorry so huge.

Art of Fighting 2 - Not sure if boot or not
IMG_4345.jpg

Puzzle Booble - Pretty sure it's a boot
IMG_4346.jpg

Metal Slug - Posted for lolz. Doesn't even have SNK on the boards.
IMG_4347.jpg

aclbandit

Another Striker
Best way to confirm boot/non-boot: http://www.mvs-scans.com

Once you've checked there, if you're still not sure, asking here is the next best thing.

The Puzzle Bobble looks quite boot-like (probably the most bootlegged game EVER, that one -- took me a while to find one that wasn't), and (as you noted) the MetalSlug is OBVIOUSLY bootage.

AoF2 looks mostly okay, all the chips are even numbered 56 like they should be, EXCEPT those two weird EPROMS. Wait for someone else's input on that one -- I dunno.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
AoF2 looks mostly okay, all the chips are even numbered 56 like they should be, EXCEPT those two weird EPROMS. Wait for someone else's input on that one -- I dunno.

I was thinking this may be a "repair". How do games get so busted they need to be repaired anyway?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
AOF 2 is clearly legit.

Puzzle Bobble is clearly a boot.

Slug looks like a boot as well, though it looks surprisingly close to original sizes of boards for a bootleg; very professionally done, at least in the sense that it's not loaded up with EPROMS and generally doesn't look like shoddy construction.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I really wish people would read the stickied thread from Xian.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Clearly that's a real AOF2. A bootleg just wouldn't have any of that stuff.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Jeez, folks. He's a new member. He saw EPROMS. Those are usually a bad sign. Better to ask the question even if just a few chips are suspect, no?

Honestly, the people that know boots know them. The people that don't come here to have boot-in-question issues resolved. If you're going to ride them for asking those questions, why do you people bother coming in here to answer them?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Jeez, folks. He's a new member. He saw EPROMS. Those are usually a bad sign. Better to ask the question even if just a few chips are suspect, no?

Honestly, the people that know boots know them. The people that don't come here to have boot-in-question issues resolved. If you're going to ride them for asking those questions, why do you people bother coming in here to answer them?
Fun. ^^

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Eh...nevermind. These posts will never end so no point arguing it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
But my AoF2 cart didn't look like the scan...

If all of the P roms are eproms it usually indicates an update to original P roms that were released usually meaning something was fixed/patched/updated in the game code.

If the game is a boot usually you would see eproms in more than 1 section of the game boards unless they pertain to each other.

P1/EP - Game Code
V Roms - Sound Files
C Roms - Graphics/Sprites
S Rom - Game details such as font, health bars and such
M Rom - Controls the sound chip

So if you see a game with all P roms replaced and all others legit then most likely legit.

If you see a game with all V roms replaced and all others legit then most likely legit.

If you see a game with all V roms and M rom replaced its not automatically a boot since both M and V roms are related.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
If all of the P roms are eproms it usually indicates an update to original P roms that were released usually meaning something was fixed/patched/updated in the game code.

If the game is a boot usually you would see eproms in more than 1 section of the game boards unless they pertain to each other.

P1/EP - Game Code
V Roms - Sound Files
C Roms - Graphics/Sprites
S Rom - Game details such as font, health bars and such
M Rom - Controls the sound chip

So if you see a game with all P roms replaced and all others legit then most likely legit.

If you see a game with all V roms replaced and all others legit then most likely legit.

If you see a game with all V roms and M rom replaced its not automatically a boot since both M and V roms are related.

Now I know! Thanks for taking the time to explain that!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Xian Xi's absolutely right, if you want to get technical, but you really don't even need to know all of that. For this AOF2 for example, a boot simply wouldn't have all those legit chips on it. And the two EPROMs are neatly covered in the fashion that the official carts usually are.

Really, I just want people to understand this is not difficult. If the board is covered in non-windowed roms that have the correct number on them, it's legit. And before someone points out that this could be faked, show me one boot that has the proper NGH number printed on the chips.

Last edited:

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Certain games like Super Sidekicks, the program P1 and P2 were always eproms. We also used them to repair cartridges, if needed. My own personal collection, I have a metal slug 1 which was literally created from 4 bad cartridges.