Old land lines

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So the new house has phone jacks in EVERY room, sometimes more than one. We don't have a land line, so are there any uses for the lines running through the house? Can I set something up with them? Any low voltage?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If the cables are CAT3 two-pair cable, which is what was run as internal telephone cable here in Australia and I'm betting most other places. Then you will struggle to run data over it, LAN only uses 2 out of 4 pairs in a CAT5/6 cable so you could use it for data but you'll be experiencing considerably less than 10mbit. CAT3 was used for networking but that's quite a while ago. Also the twist on the wire pairs of CAT3 and below is almost none, this means crosstalk between pairs will be rife if used for data purposes.

But you could use it for 50-100v nonexistent amperage type things. Like ISDN :P Or even better to send morse code between rooms in the house! Could use it for an alarm sensor? Or a doorbell?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Good if you have small children; they can answer the phone that way. Good way for free long distance and you don't have to pay for a cell with data.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Nah dude. You've got a cellphone....so that shit's just a relic from the past.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Intercom, alarm system, booby traps à la Saw?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
No use at all. You can get near gigabit speeds using AV2 adapters in your power outlets. Netgear, Trendnet, TP-link make great adapters.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
SorryToBugYouHugBugsBlinkie4-11%257ELM-760401.gif

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
If they are cat-5 and run to a central panel you can use them for internet cables or rewire for other stuff

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Phone panels are RJ-11, Ethernet is RJ-45. Category 5 is a cable standard dummy.
You can terminate Cat-5 with an RJ11 plug and have a phone jack. I meant a central panel like a box in the garage, office, closet or somewhere which is highly likely if it's a new house. Very often the Cat-5 cabling in new houses is wired for phone but you can easily rewire it for something else and re-purpose it if they are going to a central location. I'm well aware of what a cat-5 cable is, I've been doing low voltage work for 13 years of my life.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You can terminate Cat-5 with an RJ11 plug and have a phone jack. I meant a central panel like a box in the garage, office, closet or somewhere which is highly likely if it's a new house. Very often the Cat-5 cabling in new houses is wired for phone but you can easily rewire it for something else and re-purpose it if they are going to a central location. I'm well aware of what a cat-5 cable is, I've been doing low voltage work for 13 years of my life.

New houses here aren't cabled, that'd be nice to see. It's not even worth worrying about RJ-11 when it comes to CAT5 and above. I keep running into 'new' cable fit outs but the electrician/cabler has used CAT3 for phones and CAT5 for data with RJ11 and RJ45 respectively. Like they don't understand they could've made their life a whole lot easier and ran CAT5 for the whole thing. Telephony isn't some weird beast that it can't use CAT5 and make the clients entire cable infrastructure actually useful to them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Do you have kids?

Wire the phone jacks to a buzzer. That way you can wake them up or call on them.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Do you have kids?

Wire the phone jacks to a buzzer. That way you can wake them up or call on them.

I do.

tell me more, is there a way I can have each room on a number or something like an intra-phone system...time to google