Ok - hang on a sec... KOF 95 Ryo air desp?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I just got KOF 95, which I havent played since oh, 1999? and I was foolin' around on my lunch hour and I was using Ryo.

For whatever odd reason, I did his desperation move command in the air, - cant remember if I was blinking red or not - where you do half circ forward, half circ back and C, and he charges and does a sweet 'ultra' combo.

Homeboy did it in the air. He flew across the screen in a straight line - in the air.

Is this a known/intended move in the game, or do I have a boot? I seriously have never seen Ryo's desperation move in the air.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't remember for sure, but that sounds normal to me. If you're worried you have a boot you should post in the boot forum.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I dunno yet, giving the cart the benny of the doubt. But if it does start acting iffy I'll check in there lol. I have a feeling it's just something I never saw. Used to play this one on my breaks when I worked at Walmart a century ago but I haven't ever put any actual time into anything pre-97.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'll try to get a vid of it later after work but no promises lol

with my luck it will never happen again :buttduck:

Reactions: wyo

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't seen a KoF 95 boot of any kind.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Here we go:

edit: also don't give me shit about the geometry on my monitor. I had a PGM in it until recently and I havent gotten round to readjusting so nyah.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Intended or not, it's "normal", and not the only one. The infamy started with Kim's deperation move in Fatal Fury 2 IIRC.

Yep, it’s 100% normal, but this type of aerial execution in SNK fighters actually hilariously started as far back as the original Fatal Fury. In Fatal Fury 1, inputting a special move as Joe, Andy, or crackshoot as Terry while airborne will completely cancel the jump frames and allow them to execute the special attack. Though back then the aerial cancel itself was pretty jarring while they appear to teleport from their intended jump arc to perform the move. :lolz: In Terry’s case, the ability to perform crackshoot from an arial retreat made that move absolutely clutch over burn knuckle back then lol

There’s some footage of the cancel at time marker 00:16:

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I mean Ive seen air moves, Street Fighter 2 Turbo's hurricane kicks, Ryo's air fireball, etc thats no surprise.

But apart from stuff like Ryo's air fireball, ive never seen his DM in the air in KOF games lol.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Yeah could you do it in the air in 94 or 96? 96 was when they started nerfing a bunch of special moves, like eliminating Ryo's fireball for some reason. I'd say they were going for a more realistic vibe, except then they added Chizuru and Goenitz...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah could you do it in the air in 94 or 96? 96 was when they started nerfing a bunch of special moves, like eliminating Ryo's fireball for some reason. I'd say they were going for a more realistic vibe, except then they added Chizuru and Goenitz...
I dunno. I've got 94 as well, I'll check later tonight

NeoSeeD

n00b
Ryo and Kim both had the ability to do their supers during a jump in KOF 95. Other cool things that have been lost through time are that the FF characters can duck walk/crawl when holding down-forward and the AOF characters have some cool sound fx with their super fireballs that don't need meter.

Ryo can also have 2 projectiles on screen at the same time if timed correctly. IIRC, it's a slow fireball followed by a fast one. Time it right and they can both be on screen simultaneously.

NeoSeeD

n00b
I specifically remember a friend who got to play 96 before I did calling it "The fucking Dan game" because most characters had their fireballs removed or nerfed. He was royally pissed. KOF 96 was also slower and felt incomplete compared to 95.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Going by the few minutes I tried doing this in 94, it didn't work.

Now, that could mean its just not possible in 94, but I also had a hard time getting any supers out of Terry. Unless the Power Geyser or Buster Wolf didn't exist back then. Im pretty sure BW wasnt around then, but could be mistaken. Or - that could mean I just cant do Terry's supers in 94. Ryo's worked just fine, just not airborne.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I specifically remember a friend who got to play 96 before I did calling it "The fucking Dan game" because most characters had their fireballs removed or nerfed. He was royally pissed. KOF 96 was also slower and felt incomplete compared to 95.
I always thought SNK was moving away from a lot of their characters being shoto clones. I like the Ryo and Robert gained some personality myself.