Obamacare Helping or Hurting?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Getting all the bills from the different providers definitely sucks. When I had my hand surgery it was at least 4 different bills... hospital, anaesthesiologist, surgeon, and pathologist. None of them were that big (after insurance) but it's still confusing as hell and hard to know when your stuff is actually paid off.

We already pay as much in medicare/medicaid tax as other countries pay in tax for their universal health care. Corporate greed and a corrupt campaign finance system are the main reasons we're fucked with this for-profit system.

And don't get me started on provider discounts for insurance companies. My hospital bill would have been about $5,100 dollars. My insurance company got a $4,700 discount, so they only paid the hospital $300, and I paid the $100.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Man that sucks, but at least you are using your insurance...I haven't been to the doctor in 7+years & i have to continue to pay this "mandatory" health insurance...I think by the time i get to medicare age, i would have contributed way over $100K.

With medical bills, its always best to save for emergency, so when you actually have a medical bill that's above $500 after insurance, the hospital at times will work with you because they would rather not go to collections. If paid in full, you can at minimum get 10% off.

You should at least be going for a yearly physical dude. You have a family and you're in your 30s. It's not time to be fucking around with your health.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The problem is, you used to get one bill from the hospital that you could pay off. Now, You have final bills coming from the hospital, the Dr. group, and all other groups...all wanting their $$ right fucking now. It's a total cluster.

Not only do they want it "Right Now", but the bills roll in 3-6 months after treatment.

The good news is that they know they won't get the money "Right Now". And even if they send the bills to collection, it won't hurt you that much since the credit reporting agencies have de-emphasized medical collections.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
You should at least be going for a yearly physical dude. You have a family and you're in your 30s. It's not time to be fucking around with your health.

This is true but the last time i went the Dr. made me feel real bad...Saying how unhealthy i am & that i should lose weight & dont eat meat anymore...I dont think i can take that verbal abuse...I mean i dont mind him fondling my balls to check if their lumps but i can do that myself. Maybe when i hit my 40s is when ill do the checkups more often but i really dont see the point when you're still young.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
This is true but the last time i went the Dr. made me feel real bad...Saying how unhealthy i am & that i should lose weight & dont eat meat anymore...I dont think i can take that verbal abuse...I mean i dont mind him fondling my balls to check if their lumps but i can do that myself. Maybe when i hit my 40s is when ill do the checkups more often but i really dont see the point when you're still young.

I had a friend die a heart attack at 37 and know several people who have battled cancer in their 20s/30s. It's ultimately your call, but the Dr isn't making fun of you, he's legit telling you this stuff for a reason.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I can't comment myself, single coverage in my union is basically $0 per month... As far as a few non union employees here go, one woman hired here last year works soley to pay for the increased family coverage of her husbands plan...

Another 60yr old personal trainer here said she gave up her health care after her single rate went up to $600 per month...

My roommates employer cut back hours/benefits, so he currently doesn't have health care. His tax advisor told him to not get the coverage because so far paying the fine has been the cheaper alternative...