New Neo-Geo homebrew game released (AES, MVS and CD) : Yo-Yo Shuriken (ROM + physical release)

polop

n00b
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to share the release of my homebrew game Yo-Yo Shuriken on Neo-Geo MVS, AES and CD formats.
J2N07b.jpg

The game is a single-screen shooter with a unique twist: you are using a single shuriken that can be thrown, then recalled so you can hit enemies from the front and/or from behind. The game is even more fun with a friend, with a cooperative-competitive 2 players mode.

OdKZUl.gif

You can get the game ROMS (MAME, ISO, NeoSD, DarkSoft) from here:
https://drludos.itch.io/yo-yo-shuriken-neo-geo

Physical release: AES and MVS
If you have a Neo-Geo AES console or MVS board at home, I'm proud to announce that a gorgeous physical AES and MVS release of the game is available from Neo Geo expert JapanGameOnline. The AES release comes with a Snaplock box (Hard case), a newly manufactured AES cartridge and a manual. It's available in both an US style and a Japanese style, so it would blend nicely in the rest of your AES collection! :)

Here is the AES US version, available from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=715&controller=product&id_lang=1

DsISuR.jpg

And the Japanese AES one, available from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=716&controller=product&id_lang=1

Ck%2FmbW.jpg

there is also beautiful physical MVS release of the game. It comes with a "MVS Snaplock box" (Hard case) with two-sided insert (one side US cover, the other side Japanese cover), a newly manufactured MVS cartridge and a manual.

You can get it from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=717&controller=product&id_lang=1

OlMd3O.jpg

Due to the difficulties (and high costs) of manufacturing new Neo Geo cartridges, and as this is an amateur / homebrew project, we were only able to make a limited run of AES and MVS cartridges. In total, a maximum of 50 units of AES (Jap+US variants combined) and 50 units of MVS can be manufactured. So each unit is numbered.

Neo-Geo CD physical release​

Physical release: Neo-Geo CD
If you have a Neo-Geo CD console at home, there is also a cool physical release of the game available from homebrew publisher Cote Gamers:
RPAiX1.png

We did our best to create a physical release whose quality matches the commercial releases of the 90's (with spine card and all). And we really hope you'll enjoy this release! The Neo-Geo CD physical release is currently on "pre-order", and will be shipped in November 2023.

And of course, if you buy the Neo-Geo AES, MVS or CD physical release, you'll also receive all the ROM versions for free (CD, AES and MVS)!

Last but not least, here is the game running on my trusty old AES:

About the project
I'm totally aware that this is a small game by Neo-Geo standards: indeed, this is a solo project made in my spare time. While my graphics skills are limited, I tried my best to offer a fun gameplay experience for players (and some challenge too, especially if you want to finish it on a single credit!). This is my first Neo-Geo game, but not my first homebrew game (I've worked on Game Boy, SNES, Genesis, etc. before). I usually like to try to push my projects up to physical release, even if it's a single unit for myself, as I only work on consoles I love and have nostalgia for (so mainly the 8-16 bits generation).

The game was programmed 100% in C language, using the NeoBitz SDK, alongside with HPMan's DATlib to handle graphics (sprite management and image convertion) and Blastar's NGFX tool for audio (music and sound). Yo-Yo Shuriken is actually an enhanced port of a game that I first created on the SNES. As I received good feedback on the "arcade" gameplay of the game, I thought it would be cool to expand it to an actual arcade game for the best arcade hardware of them all: the Neo-Geo!

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this project, and feel free to ask me any question! :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think the design of Robotron 2084 is timeless so no apologies needed about graphics or any of that stuff, it immediately struck me as "probably lots of fun". Kudos for releasing teh romz for the game, I'll try it out sometime.

polop

n00b
Thanks a lot for your feedback and kind words!

And thanks a lot zouzzz for the gameplay video on your MVS hardware! You're very good and skilled at this game :)!

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I think the design of Robotron 2084 is timeless so no apologies needed about graphics or any of that stuff, it immediately struck me as "probably lots of fun". Kudos for releasing teh romz for the game, I'll try it out sometime.
Agreed! Robotron is a true OG from the old arcade days so, any well made clone of Robotron is welcomed in my eyes :D
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to share the release of my homebrew game Yo-Yo Shuriken on Neo-Geo MVS, AES and CD formats.
J2N07b.jpg

The game is a single-screen shooter with a unique twist: you are using a single shuriken that can be thrown, then recalled so you can hit enemies from the front and/or from behind. The game is even more fun with a friend, with a cooperative-competitive 2 players mode.

OdKZUl.gif

You can get the game ROMS (MAME, ISO, NeoSD, DarkSoft) from here:
https://drludos.itch.io/yo-yo-shuriken-neo-geo

Physical release: AES and MVS
If you have a Neo-Geo AES console or MVS board at home, I'm proud to announce that a gorgeous physical AES and MVS release of the game is available from Neo Geo expert JapanGameOnline. The AES release comes with a Snaplock box (Hard case), a newly manufactured AES cartridge and a manual. It's available in both an US style and a Japanese style, so it would blend nicely in the rest of your AES collection! :)

Here is the AES US version, available from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=715&controller=product&id_lang=1

DsISuR.jpg

And the Japanese AES one, available from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=716&controller=product&id_lang=1

Ck%2FmbW.jpg

there is also beautiful physical MVS release of the game. It comes with a "MVS Snaplock box" (Hard case) with two-sided insert (one side US cover, the other side Japanese cover), a newly manufactured MVS cartridge and a manual.

You can get it from here: http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=717&controller=product&id_lang=1

OlMd3O.jpg

Due to the difficulties (and high costs) of manufacturing new Neo Geo cartridges, and as this is an amateur / homebrew project, we were only able to make a limited run of AES and MVS cartridges. In total, a maximum of 50 units of AES (Jap+US variants combined) and 50 units of MVS can be manufactured. So each unit is numbered.

Neo-Geo CD physical release​

Physical release: Neo-Geo CD
If you have a Neo-Geo CD console at home, there is also a cool physical release of the game available from homebrew publisher Cote Gamers:
RPAiX1.png

We did our best to create a physical release whose quality matches the commercial releases of the 90's (with spine card and all). And we really hope you'll enjoy this release! The Neo-Geo CD physical release is currently on "pre-order", and will be shipped in November 2023.

And of course, if you buy the Neo-Geo AES, MVS or CD physical release, you'll also receive all the ROM versions for free (CD, AES and MVS)!

Last but not least, here is the game running on my trusty old AES:

About the project
I'm totally aware that this is a small game by Neo-Geo standards: indeed, this is a solo project made in my spare time. While my graphics skills are limited, I tried my best to offer a fun gameplay experience for players (and some challenge too, especially if you want to finish it on a single credit!). This is my first Neo-Geo game, but not my first homebrew game (I've worked on Game Boy, SNES, Genesis, etc. before). I usually like to try to push my projects up to physical release, even if it's a single unit for myself, as I only work on consoles I love and have nostalgia for (so mainly the 8-16 bits generation).

The game was programmed 100% in C language, using the NeoBitz SDK, alongside with HPMan's DATlib to handle graphics (sprite management and image convertion) and Blastar's NGFX tool for audio (music and sound). Yo-Yo Shuriken is actually an enhanced port of a game that I first created on the SNES. As I received good feedback on the "arcade" gameplay of the game, I thought it would be cool to expand it to an actual arcade game for the best arcade hardware of them all: the Neo-Geo!

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this project, and feel free to ask me any question! :)
Congratulations for the game's launch! ;)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
got any artwork I can use for custom covers for the MVSX, ASP, etc?