New MVS stylized inserts for Shockboxes

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I was bummed out that the MVS Shockbox inserts almost always had the AES stylings to them, with the traditional AES logo (most often including the words "Advanced Entertainment System" on it).

To remedy this I decided to make variants of inserts using the MVS logo as found on the MVS carts, kit boxes and arcade cabinets themselves.

https://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=91

This is for anyone else who prefers seeing MVS on the spines of their MVS shockboxes. Hope you enjoy.

Some notes: There are a few games that have home version features advertised on the back of the box. I considered putting an asterisk and writing something below like "for use in home mode", but when I tried that it didn't look quite right, so instead I left those as they were.

Some inserts had some degree of discoloration, so I corrected those as best as I could. Some inserts had some artifacting or other various flaws from the scanning process, so I tried correcting those where possible as well. I also occasionally changed the screenshots of the boxes, either because the originals were too low res, or simply because I had something else in mind. Most of the credit goes to the original creators of some of those, or those who scanned the originals. I would like to do more in the future and I'd be happy if others took the style and applied it to any other games they'd like.

Let's make our MVS collections look like an MVS collections, and not dressing them up as AES games. :)

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Some would say putting MVS carts in a shockbox with inserts is exactly dressing them up like AES games.
I for one think you should dress up your games anyway you want.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I for one think you should dress up your games anyway you want.

I don't disagree with that.

On the one hand I personally find shockboxes much more attractive than kit boxes, but on the other having advanced entertainment system written on the spines makes me feel like I'm wishing it were an aes cart, which I'm not. MVS fans shouldn't have to feel like they're making do with the format cause they can't afford AES, they should be able to embrace it. :3 That's why I put those together.

Last edited:

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I can't believe I never thought of this. The "Advanced Entertainment System" part, I mean. Duh, they should have had the MVS emblem. Good catch. I made these for years and just thought of it as the Neo-Geo emblem, not specifically AES. But you're right!

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
I need one done for Samurai Shodown 4. What's the chances?

I've already got your KOF 98 and 02 in my cart!

Last edited:

Xionn

n00b
These look great. I'm going to be picking up a few today.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Glad you like it. :)

Burgers5750> Yes I'm working on the Samurai Shodown series next. If there isn't too much cleanup needed I should be able to get up to 4 and it should be up next time I send Southtown a batch, expect that to be in a couple weeks maybe. I'm finishing off the King of Fighters series with 94 (the only one missing at the moment), just finished with Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, and I did an alternative for Garou with the artbook artwork on cover.

loopyeddie> Wow, you've made a ton of these. Have all of your inserts been uploaded to Southtown already? I'd love for you to use the MVS logo on your inserts in the future too. Would greatly expand the list of games covered. :)

By the way does anyway know of any existing scan of the Neo Geo freak insert for Blazing Star?
http://www.neogeofreak.com/carts/aes/english/BlazingStar.jpg

I'm also working on a Blazing Star insert and it's one of the few that I don't find an existing insert that I'm fully happy with. Back when I first saw this, I used to think that the Neo Geo Freak's insert was great, being based off of the Japanese release with the original artworks is nice.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I can't believe I never thought of this. The "Advanced Entertainment System" part, I mean. Duh, they should have had the MVS emblem. Good catch. I made these for years and just thought of it as the Neo-Geo emblem, not specifically AES. But you're right!

to be extremely picky, "AES" is not incorrect in a MVS context, as it belongs to both platforms.. fans started using it referring to the home console+games version, while actually they are called simply "neogeo" and "rom" software (vs"MVS" for arcade hardware and software).. at least in Japan, which is where, you know, the system is from.

sc-19_side.png

sc19_auction.png

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Most inserte don't say AES, do they?

As far as I know most of them do. On some the creator erased mentions of advanced entertainment system but there weren't many like that.

massimiliano> Nice find. I wasn't aware of that. It looks like they used the two terms interchangeably for the arcade cabinets in japan:

14021004.png

Also in the US the logo is a bit different with the NEO GEO part written first and in bigger size than the MVS part:

360d70a59c697a383a6599ef4e5816a5.jpg

I think either way is fine but in the end I went with the style and proportions used on the bulk of MVS carts and kit boxes:

garou7147c.jpg

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I just ordered 15 shockboxes yesterday. Bad timing on my part I guess. I always thought each shockbox should have a small area on the sine for each game's specific serial number, but that's just me.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
That's not a problem, with shockboxes you can slide sleeves in and out. If you want to make your own inserts with the serial number of your cart you can do it. You just need to edit existing ones and put that in if that's what you like, then submit it to Southtown for printing. You can also print them out yourselves at a local printing place. My recommendation is similar to what Southtown uses, heavy stock, 80g paper. I like glossy, I think Southtown uses a type they call super fine or something, which is really nice too.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The way I see it, having an option with MVS is great. Good work!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
to be extremely picky, "AES" is not incorrect in a MVS context, as it belongs to both platforms.. fans started using it referring to the home console+games version, while actually they are called simply "neogeo" and "rom" software (vs"MVS" for arcade hardware and software).. at least in Japan, which is where, you know, the system is from.
View attachment 42329
1iw78t.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I used to think Shock boxes were stupid, but now I would like to some day get cases for my whole collection, although it's going to be crazy expensive.

My main issue paging through the inserts on Southtown was not this. I had thought that replicas of the original AES inserts were widely available for all games released on AES, but I was finding this to be not the case. I would like all my cases to have the original AES art on the front and back.

Xionn

n00b
Yes I'm working on the Samurai Shodown series next. If there isn't too much cleanup needed I should be able to get up to 4 and it should be up next time I send Southtown a batch, expect that to be in a couple weeks maybe.

Awesome! I just picked up a few tonight and will pick up the Samurai Shodown ones when you're finished with them. Thanks again for putting these together.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks. I'm glad you like them.

The next uploaded batch will contain:

Garou Mark of the Wolves (Alternative cover)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Blazing Star (might have an Alternative too)
Top Hunter
King of Fighters 94
Samurai Shodown 1~4

I also made screenshot changes to Metal Slug 5 and Shock Troopers because the existing ones were not of satisfying quality. I won't be making changes to any other existing uploaded files in the future. These two are exceptions. If you haven't downloaded them yet for print I'd recommend waiting till next week as the new ones have nicer and sharper screenshots on the back. :)

My main issue paging through the inserts on Southtown was not this. I had thought that replicas of the original AES inserts were widely available for all games released on AES, but I was finding this to be not the case. I would like all my cases to have the original AES art on the front and back.

I know what you mean, and this is very true. Many games just don't have the full original inserts, either the back or the front is changed. In some cases where they were available I still used a different from the original English release because I found the originals to be a bit lacking. One such case is with King of Fighters 98 (I never thought the grey edging blended well with the cover artwork), so I used the one without the grey border (based off the Japanese cover) instead.

I'm working on my own set of inserts with a similar idea as you. Here's Blazing Star with all of the junk removed from the front. It took fucking forever so I hope you use it.

blazing-star.jpg