Neo Geo Pad vs Neo Geo Pad 2

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Am I the only one to prefer the Neo Geo Pad 2 (PS2 and USB but usable everywhere with adapters) vs the original Neo Geo Pad?

To me the original was fine but a bit stiff for fighters. I always thought the Neo Geo Pocket nailed it in terms of resistance and movement for fighters and for all games in general. The Neo Geo Pad 2 feels like it implements a more flexible spring that feels closer to the Neo Geo Pocket (even in it's less protruding form factor). To me it's almost like a larger version of the Neo Geo Pocket stick and I love that.

What are your opinions on this matter?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What are your opinions on this matter?
Who plays fighters with a pad?

Spoiler:
gif-playstation-3D-fighting-1343113.gif

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I prefer the PS2 Saturn controller to the original... more flexible cord, better material quality and the soft-reset is an easy start+select instead of start+A+B+C. Am I the only one? Elite? The 12th man on the deal team?

Mind you, I got to monitor my blood pressure, so don't upset me. Within 45 seconds, the microprocessor computes your systolic and diastolic pressure. Got an LCD readout. Cost effective, less than one visit to a doctor.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I prefer the PS2 Saturn controller to the original... more flexible cord, better material quality and the soft-reset is an easy start+select instead of start+A+B+C. Am I the only one? Elite? The 12th man on the deal team?

Mind you, I got to monitor my blood pressure, so don't upset me. Within 45 seconds, the microprocessor computes your systolic and diastolic pressure. Got an LCD readout. Cost effective, less than one visit to a doctor.

Haha. Yeah I had one of those, but the components were identical to original Saturn pads if I'm not mistaken. The Neo Geo Pad 2 changed the stick so it's a completely different beast.

Who plays fighters with a pad?

Yeah, that's what a lot of arcade fans think, but as far as I know a ton of people play with pads. Generally the Saturn pad is the favorite (folks use all kind of adapters for it) but I think the Neo Geo Pad 2 is a great competitor as best pad out there for fighters.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the neo pad sucked for fighters. so i was surprised when i found out that they released it for the ps2. didn't know there was a demand for it. but i agree with you on the neo pocket. i always said that they should of used the same neo pocket thumb stick on the neo pad instead of the one they went for.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The first and second US Saturn pads were really different. The second model was based on the Japanese design:

http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Saturn)

So the PS2 one is just the same design as the second Japanese pad?

Last edited:

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah I had forgotten, but yes my original Saturn still has the original pad on the box (and in the box since I never use it anymore lol), very quickly they released the model 2 pads, and back when I was a kid, some local stores had the imported Japanese controller for sale too, so I guess there was already demand for an alternative in North America.

the neo pad sucked for fighters. so i was surprised when i found out that they released it for the ps2. didn't know there was a demand for it. but i agree with you on the neo pocket. i always said that they should of used the same neo pocket thumb stick on the neo pad instead of the one they went for.

Exactly. I was surprised to find out it was so different myself. The Neo Geo Pad came out some years before the Neo Geo Pocket was released, so I guess they learned from it in making the NGP stick. Then reapplied that knowledge of how to make a good thumbstick to the Neo Geo Pad 2. IMO if you like the Neo Geo Pocket thumbstick you'll like the Neo Geo Pad 2.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
The Saturn pad is my pad of choice for fighting games. Never used the Neo Geo Pad, though.

Not to derail the topic too much, and I may be stepping into sacrilegious territory, but is there a good adapter that will let you use a Saturn pad on a Neo Geo? I love my Kidney Beans, (as does my cat in the sig) but I'd love to have that option. (Hell, even the other way around would be great.)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The Saturn pad is my pad of choice for fighting games. Never used the Neo Geo Pad, though.

Not to derail the topic too much, and I may be stepping into sacrilegious territory, but is there a good adaptor that will let you use a Saturn pad on a Neo Geo? I love my Kidney Beans, (as does my cat in the sig) but I'd love to have that option. (Hell, even the other way around would be great.)

if you could find a ps2 saturn pad, there is an adaptor that lets you play ps2 controllers on your neo geo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Not to derail the topic too much, and I may be stepping into sacrilegious territory, but is there a good adapter that will let you use a Saturn pad on a Neo Geo? I love my Kidney Beans, (as does my cat in the sig) but I'd love to have that option. (Hell, even the other way around would be great.)

There isn't a ready made one, but it can be done. I built a nice simple one with a FGW converter, but Toodles stopped making those. I hope he resumes production of those sometime. There's always padhacks as well.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
There used to be a guy on ebay who was making Saturn to PS2 adapters and they worked really nicely. I've never tried but I assume it would be possible to use that adapter going into a PS2 to Neo adapter and it might work. Would look kind of weird though. :p

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I actually saw one of those (an expired listing) and was about to ask about that. I'd imagine lag would start to be an issue (amongst other things) after going through two adapters, but I have no idea otherwise. I do have a PS2 -> NEO adapter already so maybe I'll try to track down one of those PS2 re-creations.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I never noticed any lag using a single adapter, and I'm generally sensitive to any kind of lag.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
IMO if you like the Neo Geo Pocket thumbstick you'll like the Neo Geo Pad 2.
don't get me wrong, I love the pocket, such great gaming on the go and sure the thumbstick on it is damned awesome - but at home I prefer a stick...

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I'm surprised to hear it compared to favorable to the Pocket Color stick (I love that thing). Something I'll have to consider if I can find an adapter to use it on an omega.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Am I the only one to prefer the Neo Geo Pad 2

I guess so I personally was not a fan of the Neo pad 2 I prefer the regular playstation controller over the neo pad anyday.