Neo Geo AES PRO-POW Missing Headphone Jack

So I just got my first Neo Geo console (AES PRO-POW)! I was taking a look at it and cleaning it up when I noticed the headphone jack was missing. Any idea where I can get a replacement/how I would attach it?

20161129_232222.jpg

20161129_232211.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
What's the revision? Look to the right side of the pcb....NEO-AES ??? There has to be some reason why that was removed. You will have to resolder the jack back in place but it appears to be another component or two missing.Where did you pick it up?
BB

What's the revision? Look to the right side of the pcb....NEO-AES ??? There has to be some reason why that was removed. You will have to resolder the jack back in place but it appears to be another component or two missing.Where did you pick it up?
BB

I took some more pictures here so you can look. Thanks for the help in advance. It appears to be a NEO-AES N. I actually got it as a gift from a very good friend. He's a super generous dude that wanted to get me started on Neo collecting. Let me know if you want any more pics.

20161130_193832.jpg

20161130_193841.jpg

20161130_193851.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The sideways N is just a component marker. Notice how the board is ringed with letters and numbers, it makes servicing the console easier. For example, the 68000 and YM2610 are located at N... 2 and 3 probably.

It looks like a usual NEO-AES revision, without the daughterboard over the memory card slot. There are newer board revisions, AES3-2 through to AES3-6.

The sticker-less EPROM in the BIOS socket is a little odd though.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Okay. I see that two electrolytic 220uF 10 V capacitors are missing.They reside right in between those two burgundy(?) ceramic capacitors. You will have to get those as well and solder them into place....so that's three parts you need.
BB

Last edited:
Okay. I see that two electrolytic 220uF 10 V capacitors are missing.They reside right in between those two burgundy(?) ceramic capacitors. You will have to get those as well and solder them into place....so that's three parts you need.
BB

Thank you for the info. Strange that the system seems to still work fine without the capacitors. Maybe they are related to the stereo audio output of the missing headphone jack? Also, do you have any idea where I would get a replacement part for the headphone jack?

Thanks so much thus far!

The sideways N is just a component marker. Notice how the board is ringed with letters and numbers, it makes servicing the console easier. For example, the 68000 and YM2610 are located at N... 2 and 3 probably.

It looks like a usual NEO-AES revision, without the daughterboard over the memory card slot. There are newer board revisions, AES3-2 through to AES3-6.

The sticker-less EPROM in the BIOS socket is a little odd though.

Thanks for the info! I'll check around to see if the bios chip is something modified. To be honest I haven't tested the system myself as it didn't come with an A/C adapter or video cable (they are on order).

A modder friend of mine said that the capacitors would feed into the stereo headphone jack like I suspected. Odd that it was removed.

I hope some of this stuff can be restored. I already have a UNIBIOS chip on its way from Raz so I hope I can find someone to get her into tip top shape. Not having it have the ability to pump out stereo sound would be a shame.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have a parts board I could probably extract them from...I will drop you a PM after I get around to it.
BTW,that bios is probably a J.Kurtz debug bios or earlier version of the uni-bios.
BB
Thank you for the info. Strange that the system seems to still work fine without the capacitors. Maybe they are related to the stereo audio output of the missing headphone jack? Also, do you have any idea where I would get a replacement part for the headphone jack?

Thanks so much thus far!

I have a parts board I could probably extract them from...I will drop you a PM after I get around to it.
BTW,that bios is probably a J.Kurtz debug bios or earlier version of the uni-bios.
BB

Thanks very much for that! Raz wasn't sure about the bios himself. I will post once I have the AC adapter next week.