Neo Geo AES Console Graphical Issues

Bunta714

n00b
Hello,

I recently purchased two as-is AES consoles from eBay.

I have been able to get one of them working, but the second one is still giving me some major problems.

-I have a Unibios installed and with no cartridge inserted, I get what I think is a green screen, but the color is quite bad, so it's possible it is a yellow screen. The pixels look like they actually alternate green/yellow across the screen.

-If I try to do the Unibios system test, I can see that something is happening, but I cannot read any of the text.

-With a cartridge inserted, I get what I can barely make out as the Unibios boot screen, then I can hear the Neo Geo intro screen, but can't see anything. The screen is all white.

-The game will boot up and I can see some graphics and the controls and sound work perfectly. I can even access the Unibios menu and enable cheats, etc.

I have tested both RGB and composite output from the AV port and directly from the Sony converter chip and other RGBS tap points, but the same display issues arise.

I have tested the Palette RAM chip continuity and all of the pins seem to be connected correctly, and the same with the VRAM chips.
I'm afraid the chips themselves may be kaput and need to be replaced completely.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what may be going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to a small album with some example:
http://imgur.com/a/vnBtP

Edit: I forgot to mention that the board is a NEO-AES 1st revision with the daughter board.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think I saw these on ebay and was curious. The one that said it was confirmed to have problems before sounded like it might be too broken. Glad you got the other one running.

Bunta714

n00b
It looked like someone tried to do a few mods to it. I took off some randomly placed resistors, reflowed some suspect looking points, and cleaned up a ton of old flux. It actually helped a bit because originally I couldn't get it to output any image.

I think if I can find some replacement RAM and maybe a video converter, I'll try replacing them all just for fun. If it's still no good, I might just use the shell for a consolized MV-1C.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It looked like someone tried to do a few mods to it. I took off some randomly placed resistors, reflowed some suspect looking points, and cleaned up a ton of old flux. It actually helped a bit because originally I couldn't get it to output any image.

I think if I can find some replacement RAM and maybe a video converter, I'll try replacing them all just for fun. If it's still no good, I might just use the shell for a consolized MV-1C.

If the screen has no image at all, it means the master clock is dead/not working. Check the daughter board and all the connections, especially the output. Also worth nothing that sometimes the solder pads in the daughter board connector will lift.

Bunta714

n00b
If the screen has no image at all, it means the master clock is dead/not working. Check the daughter board and all the connections, especially the output. Also worth nothing that sometimes the solder pads in the daughter board connector will lift.

Thanks, Xian. I checked the spots you suggested and resoldered a couple spots. The rest seem to be ok.

I burned a diagnostics ROM and ran it with a cartridge inserted and was able to get these error descriptions to show up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NpBmL

It seems like either the palette RAM is dead, or a bad connection between the RAM and other chips.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Dead output in that manner can mean the chip isn't powering on, has a missing enable line or is being shorted in some way. Or yes it's just plain dead.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks, Xian. I checked the spots you suggested and resoldered a couple spots. The rest seem to be ok.

I burned a diagnostics ROM and ran it with a cartridge inserted and was able to get these error descriptions to show up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NpBmL

It seems like either the palette RAM is dead, or a bad connection between the RAM and other chips.

The error is pretty clear, check the LS245 output on the lower pallette RAM.