Neo CD Custom Case idea

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
So i've been thinking about making artwork, for either blu-ray sized or DVD sized cases for peoples disc only Neo CD games, not sure if this has been done, thoughts?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
it's been done. That doesn't mean you can't do it better though!

From what I've seen it's all dvd case sized though. Might be better if someone did jewel case insert sized

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Hmmmmm maybe i'll make a blu-ray sized cover and see how it comes out when i get some free time and go from there, basicly to match ps3/ps4 cases etc, the ones at the link seem to be the original cd scans.

losgunn

n00b
Hmmmmm maybe i'll make a blu-ray sized cover and see how it comes out when i get some free time and go from there, basicly to match ps3/ps4 cases etc, the ones at the link seem to be the original cd scans.

Are you repurposing PS3/PS4 cases, or using generic BD cases? If generic, are they the 11 mm or the 12.5 mm(US), or the 15 mm European BD cases?

I'm looking at the case for a Blu-Ray movie I own right now, US 11 mm, and I don't see why it couldn't be done, except that the Blu-Ray logo is prominently stamped in the top-middle of the case's front(easily fixed). Personally, I'd prefer the 15 mm European BD cases just for legibility and clarity of the spine text and graphics, but I have bad eyesight as well.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
they appear to be using the covers/art i posted.. interesting

Retro Game Cases is run by a member of The Cover Project. Reasonably certain he links to them somewhere or another on the site. Plus, TCP has had endless discussions about people selling their products, and their final decision has basically come down to "It's gonna happen. It sucks, but if you're in this for love of the community, you're just gonna hafta accept it. Not like we own this art in the first place and cam DMCA it or anything"

They ARE a little expensive though, IMO. Cheaper to download it and print it yourself, even if you go to a commercial printer it's gonna come out cheaper. Good news is the guy's a nice guy -- I once asked him for a file of one of the Genesis covers he's selling that I for the life of me couldn't find anywhere on TCP's forums, and he provided it no questions asked right away.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
I have a few blu ray cases with no logos so im sure somewhere online we could find blank ones. I wouldn't do this for a profit or anything, probly just provide links to the files for download and maybe have them right here at Neo-Geo.com.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
If you do it, I would recommend using box.net as that's what most of the cover makers on The Cover Project use -- lots of space, lots of bandwidth, very unlikely to get shut down. I'd also cross-post them there personally, because for one it might encourage more people to make them in the same style you do, and for another thing they're a great source of cleaned-up logos, etc, so it might be a jumping-off point for you.

losgunn

n00b
I have a few blu ray cases with no logos so im sure somewhere online we could find blank ones. I wouldn't do this for a profit or anything, probly just provide links to the files for download and maybe have them right here at Neo-Geo.com.

If you want any help, I'm pretty good with Photoshop and cover design. I made some reproduction cases for NES games for my personal collection, as well as some mini-box designs for my Megaman NES games. I seem to have gained PM access if you need to get in touch with me.