Neo and 80s hair metal

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
I never listen to hair metal anymore, but I was in the early 90s when I first start playing Neo. So now when I hear it, I always think of when I first got into Neo.

Anybody else associate 80s hair metal or any other kind of music with Neo?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I used to listen to a lot of 90s "screamo" when I played the NGPC fighters on an emulator on my PC back in 2004/5 or sth... same with the KOF'98 PSX port a few years before that... so I got that combination in my head, even though it doesn't fit at all.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
and I listen today to Steel Panther and still play the NeoGeo, strange world

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I listen to 90's emo core and Screamo when I play neo or snk shit and sometimes 80's goth music.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I associate Neo with playing Lazer Tag. So much Lazer tag as a kid, followed by Metal Slug. Anybody else remember lazer tag?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
80s metal definitely goes great with most shooters. Usually I prefer blasting the in-game music through my speakers, but I've been known to spin the turntable while gaming. Here's a smattering of some of my 80s metal favorites.
9AA54D18-8E2E-4BD9-BA64-B46A3563617C_zpsyricrmxv.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Let's do it right, it's called Glam, do not stain metal with that hair spray.

Good "hair metal" is hard to come by, most of it sucks but Whitesnake '87 and Slip of the Tongue are probably as good as it gets with Glam. Steve Vai is so awesome, also David Lee Roth Eat 'em up and smile!

Thanks to EG, whenever I play Metal Slug I think of Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time".
That's awesome, best Maiden album too!

geise

Mickey's Coach
Hmmm...not sure if I'd put Quiet Riot in Glam or Hair Metal. David Lee Roth had that look, but man the music was it's own thing. Really good stuff. I never really thought of Hair Bands though when playing Neo.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Me neither. You're right Quiet Riot are too ugly to be glam but the music is there...Dave Lee Roth is a vegas man, I just feel like the album came out at the peek of Glam, it fell right in but you're also right, it's very different. Hard Rock with ssaz?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Def Leppard 1st 2 albums are so damn good, well before shit went south and MTV started milking the cow.

Mick Mars...an underrated guitar monster.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Def Leppard 1st 2 albums are so damn good, well before shit went south and MTV started milking the cow.

Mick Mars...an underrated guitar monster.

Def Leppard has some great music. Saw them twice back in the day. Saw Motley Crue once.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I associate Glam more with the 70s with 'Ziggy Stardust' and 'Aladdin Sane' era Bowie, Gary Glitter or the NY Dolls in the US. I suppose they're the pioneers. You could say that Twisted Sister, Poison and some others sort of extended that vibe into the 80s though, but I'd say that it was less sexual and androgynous than the 70s scene. I basically use "80s metal" as an umbrella term, with bands like Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc, as pure metal bands, Cinderella, Ratt, Quiet Riot, etc as hair bands, and Motley Crue, Poison, Twisted Sister, etc, more in the Glam vein with makeup and all of that. I think Def Lepard, G'n'R and even Van Halen transcend the genre a bit more. Technically they're hair bands, but they seem like more than that.

geise

Mickey's Coach
^ LOL. Love that show.

When I think of Def Leopard I really just think Hard Rock. Not a bad thing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I associate Glam more with the 70s with 'Ziggy Stardust' and 'Aladdin Sane' era Bowie, Gary Glitter or the NY Dolls in the US. I suppose they're the pioneers. You could say that Twisted Sister, Poison and some others sort of extended that vibe into the 80s though, but I'd say that it was less sexual and androgynous than the 70s scene. I basically use "80s metal" as an umbrella term, with bands like Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc, as pure metal bands, Cinderella, Ratt, Quiet Riot, etc as hair bands, and Motley Crue, Poison, Twisted Sister, etc, more in the Glam vein with makeup and all of that. I think Def Lepard, G'n'R and even Van Halen transcend the genre a bit more. Technically they're hair bands, but they seem like more than that.

I think of Van Halen as plain Hard Rock. Back in the NWOBHM Def Leppard was one of them but I think their music eventually started embracing a different feel along the way. For me as far as Def Leppard goes I think High n' Dry is an amazing album, lots of great songs in there, a bit more refined than On Through the Night but still had that heaviness. I actually love most of their material up to Adrenalize, then after that I think it's just a hit and miss, most every new album has 1 or 2 worth while songs, some albums have none but when they hit it right, oh it's awesome.