Need for Speed Underground: Rivals impressions

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just got NFSU:R (yes, I know EA sucks, just wanted a new PSP game) yesterday from Play-Asia along with Zero Gunner 2. First impressions, after a couple or three races:

Graphics aren't up to Ridge Racer level. This is only notable, IMO, because all the pre-release screens and even the box shots make the game look completely incredible. Actual in-game graphics aren't as good as EA would have you believe (shocking!) but are still pretty good.

Sound is nice. Includes as many tracks as you would expect from EA, nice diverse song list, looks the same as will be in American version (Terror Squad, Snoop w/Doors, etc. of a distinctly North American flavor).

Control feels a little loose. I bought a Miata for my first car in career mode, and there's no way it should be able to zip all over the road without losing traction like it does. I know it's not a sim, but c'mon. Not as tight as Ridge Racers, and harder to get a feel for the drift mechanic, too.

Career structure: there is no streaming, free-roaming world. You just tackle the races one after another, which isn't really a bad thing considering how annoying the free-roaming in NFSU2 was.

Overall, I'm thinking this is gonna be about a 3 out of 5, or just slightly above average. Nothing about the game really stands out, but it is still fun to play for a little while at a time. I'd probably only recommend buying it if you are just in need of a new PSP game (like I was) and aren't expecting it to rock your handheld racing world.

Anyone else have it? Am I being too hard on the game? Anyone like it better than Ridge Racers?