My Nintendo DS chip.

Mash

n00b
Haven't posted here in a lil' while. I jsut wanted to let you guys check out a Nintendo DS chip I designed a few months ago. It's kind of out-dated right now with the release fo the DS Lite, but I plan to make an updated version (with more features) to go along with it :-).

Basically the DS Chip Advaced is a small "mod" chip that gives the DS X and Y buttons extra features when GBA games are being played on it. The two features are Turbo button mode for A and B, as well as L/R mode, and can be toggled using the Select+L buttons. I also made is so the green power LED was rigged to display the state of the chip, whether it is on or off, pretty involved project but it works like a charm :-). It was classic to play SF2 with four face buttons, finally!

Anyhoo, here's a link to the full description:
http://www.mash-mods.com/products/Nintendo DS/dschipadvanced

BTW, I have a VERY ambitious NGPC project with a colleague of mine, I can't reveal any details right now though, but check the site in the next couple weeks for updates.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Mash said:
Haven't posted here in a lil' while. I jsut wanted to let you guys check out a Nintendo DS chip I designed a few months ago. It's kind of out-dated right now with the release fo the DS Lite, but I plan to make an updated version (with more features) to go along with it :-).

Basically the DS Chip Advaced is a small "mod" chip that gives the DS X and Y buttons extra features when GBA games are being played on it. The two features are Turbo button mode for A and B, as well as L/R mode, and can be toggled using the Select+L buttons. I also made is so the green power LED was rigged to display the state of the chip, whether it is on or off, pretty involved project but it works like a charm :-). It was classic to play SF2 with four face buttons, finally!

Anyhoo, here's a link to the full description:
http://www.mash-mods.com/products/Nintendo DS/dschipadvanced

BTW, I have a VERY ambitious NGPC project with a colleague of mine, I can't reveal any details right now though, but check the site in the next couple weeks for updates.

:buttrock: (wish there was a bow icon).

any chance you would be interesting in developing a rumble pack that plugs into the usb port of a psp? I'm dying to find someone I can get to develope one to use with my n64 emu for psp (for rumble pak suport).

Mash

n00b
subbie said:
:buttrock: (wish there was a bow icon).

any chance you would be interesting in developing a rumble pack that plugs into the usb port of a psp? I'm dying to find someone I can get to develope one to use with my n64 emu for psp (for rumble pak suport).

I don't have a PSP just yet, I'm lookin' to get one real soon and seeing what to do with it, but right now I really got my hands full. That's awesome that there's a N64 emu for PSP though, how well does that run? A rumble pack to work with that emulator would take some serious programming, unless the typical "rumble to sound" approach would be used, then it wouldn't be hard at all.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Mash said:
I don't have a PSP just yet, I'm lookin' to get one real soon and seeing what to do with it, but right now I really got my hands full. That's awesome that there's a N64 emu for PSP though, how well does that run? A rumble pack to work with that emulator would take some serious programming, unless the typical "rumble to sound" approach would be used, then it wouldn't be hard at all.

I'm the programmer of one of the 2 currently out. Fps is a little low (like 5-20fps depending on the game). Yet either emulator have a dynamic recompiler which will speed things up heavly. Ultimately in the end the goal is games like mario64 running over 30-60fps which is more then doable since both processors are heavly alike with just the n64 having additions for 64bit.

Anyways the PSP has a flexable usb port. Something could be devised to allow comunication via the usb port. N64 had native rumble pak suport.

The rumble pak could also be amazing attachment to use once someone gets around to developing a ps1 emulator.

Mash

n00b
Hmm well I could create the hardware, it'll be up to a programmer to get it compatible with the emulators. If you know how to program to communicate to the PSP USB port, then it can be done for sure. Subbie, if you're interested in workin on this with me or know a programmer that would be, please send me an e-mail at gregor@mash-mods.com . Cheers ;).

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Mash said:

Sounds interesting. I'll take a wild guess - is it a full backlit LCD replacement screen (as opposed to frontlight over the old LCD)? That would be amazing! But probably near impossible.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Mash said:
Hmm well I could create the hardware, it'll be up to a programmer to get it compatible with the emulators. If you know how to program to communicate to the PSP USB port, then it can be done for sure. Subbie, if you're interested in workin on this with me or know a programmer that would be, please send me an e-mail at gregor@mash-mods.com . Cheers ;).

:chimp: Will hit you up on monday with an email.

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
little off topic, but it would be sweet if someone could figure how to get GBA games to play multiplayer with the DS' wireless features