My NGPC died

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I was playing CFC today and the screen was dirty so I rubbed it on my pants leg.

When I started playing again it was frozen and wouldnt turn off. Took out a battery to try and reset and the music from the game was still playing (faintly). Took out the other and it was still even more faintly playing. Took out the backup battery and it turned off.

Now I put the batteries in and it just goes on without booting into even the menu screen.

WTF.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Something similar happened to me once, it was pretty strange, I was playing MOTM, and then paused it, left the room, came back after 3 minutes, and the game wouldn't unpause, wouldn't power down when I pressed the power button, would power off after I removed the batteries but also took a few seconds. Very strange. Might just want to set your NGPC aside for a few minutes without the batteries, then try it again.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
Something similar happened to me once, it was pretty strange, I was playing MOTM, and then paused it, left the room, came back after 3 minutes, and the game wouldn't unpause, wouldn't power down when I pressed the power button, would power off after I removed the batteries but also took a few seconds. Very strange. Might just want to set your NGPC aside for a few minutes without the batteries, then try it again.

I took them out and just left it alone, hopefully it fixes itself.

Stifu

Kabuki Klasher
One of my NGPC died for no reason a few years ago. Wouldn't boot anymore either.
So I left it in a drawer and bought another NGPC... Then a little while later, I tried my old NGPC again, and it was working great. Resurrected like a phoenix.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Yeah its working now. Left it withou the AA's for a while, then took out the backup battery, and then put it all back together and it booted up fine.

Kind of wierd.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Nesagwa said:
Yeah its working now. Left it withou the AA's for a while, then took out the backup battery, and then put it all back together and it booted up fine.

Kind of wierd.

Could be a capacitor issue. It's good to know that the issue is not a permanent problem.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Well at least you didn't kill the lcd with a hair dryer like a did. :annoyed:

For some reason I thought I could seperate the layers of the lcd by heating them to remove the reflective layer... didn't work. It did spark a few times though. :lolz:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
Well at least you didn't kill the lcd with a hair dryer like a did. :annoyed:

For some reason I thought I could seperate the layers of the lcd by heating them to remove the reflective layer... didn't work. It did spark a few times though. :lolz:

Just add that to the long list of terrible ideas youve had.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, you guys hit on it. Your batteries and the backup battery have a little to do with it, and the cartridge connector heads are another thing. If you have issues with a game shutting the system off right after you power it up, your NGPC is not dead. I have a few myself. Usually it's either something solved by removing the ram backup watch battery and reinserting it; or taking out the cart, starting it without it, and repositioning the cart.

Why does it do it? Sometimes that happens after it has sat around for a while. Maybe after switching games and you've been using that save and resume function, etc. The general issue is that there's something not cleared with your current backup ram data and it clashes with the routines of the game that is currently running, so your system kind of crashes. It responds by turning itself off.

It also does something similar if your cartridge connection isn't clean on either the cart or your NGPC, and you aren't getting a full connection when you plug that cart in.

So if you do experience the game shuting off right as your trying to start it; 99% chance that your NGPC is fine, you just need to take these steps to get it working, tip top, again.