Mute (Netflix) is shit

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
These made for Netflix films remind me of how bad made for tv movies used to be.
What a bunch of shit this fim was. Fails all over the place.
Comic relief? Fail
Narrative? Fail
Action secuences? Fail
Twist? Fail

Just like Bright, the montage is fucking lame, everything is dragged out ridiculously so.

And just like all these neo cyberpunk productions, it doesn't work, style over matter and what little style there is is forced to fuck.
I mean I know much of this is cash grab with the 80s boom and millennials, but how tough is it to make something good?

Only thing I watched of the ilk that impressed me a lot was Westworld.

Everything else (I'll throw in Dark, Stranger Things and you name it for good measure) is naff.

Nuff said

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Stranger Things Season 2 was crap compared to Season 1. Dark is dogshit.

But you know, the best Netflix movie is Beasts of No Nation, and no one watched it. Now they realize that people are stupid and want stupid shit like Cloverfield Paradox and Bright. And that's what we will get. Not the movies we need, but the movies we deserve.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Hadn't even heard of that film you mention Charlie, but not sure it's available to us children of Dr.Mengele
Forgot about Paradox. Horrible stuff.
Heard that the second (or third?) in the series is excellent.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

But you know, the best Netflix movie is Beasts of No Nation, and no one watched it. Now they realize that people are stupid and want stupid shit like Cloverfield Paradox and Bright. And that's what we will get. Not the movies we need, but the movies we deserve.

Yeah, I think Netflix started out strong with their original content. But whatever their quality control was, it went out the window a few years ago.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i found it entertaining, which i think is the point....

Was it blade runner? No.

I want more cyberpunk, so i'll take whatever I can get.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It says alot when the director shopped this movie around for years and couldn't get anyone to get behind it. My buddy was excited for this movie till he saw it, not what he expected at all.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think you are being way too forgiving, Sneth, the film aimed at more than entertainment but was too dumb and condescending in its treatment of its audience, just badly put together. To me it compared to Guy Richie's RocknRolla, same style over content with no real heart.

I have to say I wasn't a fan of Moon unlike so many others so I know I am being harsh here based on personal taste. But I just felt a bit surprised at how much of a watered down mess the film felt to me. Same as with Bright, it was awkwardly put together with a made for tv feel to it.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I mean (and this ain't any kind of a spoiler)

114232-telstar-double-value-games-syndicate-ufo-enemy-unknown-dos-other.jpg
Pure rip off merchant Bowie junior.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

This.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I had absolutely Zero expectations when i saw the movie. It popped up on my Netflix feed Friday while working from home. Gave it a click without knowing the setting or the story.

To that end, I still enjoyed it. I really think people are going to immediately compare it to blade runner, which will shit all over this movie. I think these movies would be better received if they didn't have large budgets. Its great having Paul Rudd as an awol medic douchebag, but it could have been someone much cheaper.

I'm comparing it to indie B horror movies in my head, so that's why it gets a pass. Plus all things cyberpunk are awesome, so I'm gonna push that agenda all day.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
beast of no nation was amazing, no other Netflix movie has come close.

Netflix machine guns out tv shows with the hope that one eventually sticks, like Stranger Things. I haven't actually seen it but it seems popular enough. We are hitting an over-saturation point with Tv shows in general, its just impossible to keep up.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Beasts of No Nation and Mudbound are probably the only really "good" movies in Netflix's lineup. Bright and Cloverfield are popular trash. I liked Deathnote for the most part, but it's obviously flawed. What Happened to Wednesday and The Babysitter both look okay, but not any better than that.

Netflix still way more into quantity than quality.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah. those movies are all OK.
What's wrong with OK movies?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yeah. those movies are all OK.
What's wrong with OK movies?
Nothing at all. It's clearly a viable strategy. I can't remember the last time I couldn't find something decent enough to watch on Netflix.

HBO still tends to get the very best content, IMO, but Netflix has them severely beaten in breadth.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I thought it was alright watching on a saturday night with a bottle of wine ;)