Metroid Prime Pinball DS, in stores today

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Just got the game last night, and I could -not- put it down.
Fantastic game, and the action is very intense...especially with modes like Gunship Multiball. The fact that the tables spring to life with swarms of enemies is great and the level of detail they crammed into the graphics is impressive. The rippling water, spray from the waterfalls, etc etc...not to mention sporadic rainfall on the Tallon level.

The Phazon Mines looked very, very nice also.

I highly reccomend this game. Between this, Meteos and Advance Wars the DS library has now reached a level of infinite replayability.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I broke down anyway and picked this up and have to say I'm impressed. THe only gripes for me are that the game is a tad difficult (wtf is with samus having an energy meter.. it's so unfair that when enemies hit you/metroid suck on you that you can die..) and the the rumble cart is totally cheezy and is more of an annoyance than something that adds to the experience. It makes more of a noise than rumbling the system. I thought pokemon pinball did a better job with the rumble personally. Another gripe is there is hardly anything going on at the bottom screen; all there is are bumpers and flippers. I would've also liked to see more targets to hit, not just ramps in the upper screen. Otherwise, I'd say this is a cool game with nice music, lots of levels, and a use of enemies that actually feels more like a pin game than a game that tries to make a franchise play like a pin game *cough* pacman pinball *cough*

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
picked it up at lunch today as well. I'm diggin' it. Its great with headphones. The rumble is "okay"...I never cared much for that feature in any game. It works okay on here though.

Whats the deal with saving your game, though??? Do I have to FINISH a friggin' table before I save my progress? My, how Pinball Of The Dead has spoiled me...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I played it today at Meijer's and I thought it was cool

a lot better than the last Mario Pinball game and Akira Psychoball (which happens to be the last pinball game I played)

it's cool and all, but I can't help feel that Nintendo is on the verge of raping this series also

*can't wait for Metroid Tennis*

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
roker said:
I played it today at Meijer's and I thought it was cool

a lot better than the last Mario Pinball game and Akira Psychoball (which happens to be the last pinball game I played)

it's cool and all, but I can't help feel that Nintendo is on the verge of raping this series also

*can't wait for Metroid Tennis*

I really think they'll stick to Mario or Pokemon if they're whoring out a series. Metroid just doesn't have that mass appeal/cuteness factor like Mario does.

Metroid pinball just makes sense though, seeing as samus can turn into a ball anyway. ;)

dark penguin

GregN. said:
I broke down anyway and picked this up and have to say I'm impressed. THe only gripes for me are that the game is a tad difficult (wtf is with samus having an energy meter.. it's so unfair that when enemies hit you/metroid suck on you that you can die..) and the the rumble cart is totally cheezy and is more of an annoyance than something that adds to the experience. It makes more of a noise than rumbling the system. I thought pokemon pinball did a better job with the rumble personally. Another gripe is there is hardly anything going on at the bottom screen; all there is are bumpers and flippers. I would've also liked to see more targets to hit, not just ramps in the upper screen. Otherwise, I'd say this is a cool game with nice music, lots of levels, and a use of enemies that actually feels more like a pin game than a game that tries to make a franchise play like a pin game *cough* pacman pinball *cough*

You can knock a metroid off you without losing any power...just drop a bomb(B button). Samus begins the game with regular bombs and I believe this method also works for the Triclopses.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Its starting to not sound like a pinball game, I didn't know you attack and can be attacked by stuff.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Lagduf said:
Metroid pinball just makes sense though, seeing as samus can turn into a ball anyway. ;)
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

I need to pick this game up but that's probably a bad idea. Haven't finished Advanced Wars DS, Castlevania, Oso! Tatake! Ouendon, or Lost in Blue yet. Haven't even started Trace Memory, Trauma Center, or Lunar. :oh_no:

EDIT:

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: said:
2 (2 members and 0 guests)
D-Lite*, chimpmeister*

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I could could give you temporary releif from Osu!.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
D-Lite said:
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

I need to pick this game up but that's probably a bad idea. Haven't finished Advanced Wars DS, Castlevania, Oso! Tatake! Ouendon, or Lost in Blue yet. Haven't even started Trace Memory, Trauma Center, or Lunar. :oh_no:

EDIT: <secret info removed>

BUSTED! :kekeke:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

EDIT:

In the same boat with you. OVERWHELMED!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

:crying:

I winked, that meant just kidding.

:crying:

Edit: I havent been playing anything but Castlevania, i've started nintendogs, feel the magic, and sw:ep 3 though, but CV just takes up all my time :D

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

EDIT:

I am in the same situation. I have a bunch of games that I have not beat as well as a bunch of unopened games. However, Metroid Prime Pinball is a must buy IMO. Because of the nature of the game, you play in short burst, so it really won't keep you from finishing the other games you have going. Of course, I played it most of the day today, so I really didn't play much else.

dark penguin

D-Lite said:
Holy crap you're right!

/sarcasm

EDIT:

This game is currently stealing all my time away from Lost in Blue, Trace Memory and Trauma Center. Daammmnnn.
It's almost a good thing Metroid Hunters got pushed back...I'd never have the time for any of this.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
In the same boat with you. OVERWHELMED!

HAH!

I bet them PSP lovahs' are wishing they were overwhelmed.

Metroid Prime Pinball, yet another reason why DS>PSP.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I got this on Wednesday, and fuckin-A is it sweet.
It really neatly straddles both arcade pinball and the classic videogame pinball titles like Devil's Crash. The physics are really good, and the gfx and music are excellent.
If you ever loved pinball games and have a DS, it's a total no brainer.

I've been spending more time with my DS than my other systems lately, between this, Gunstar Super Heroes, and CV:DoS.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I am in the same situation. I have a bunch of games that I have not beat as well as a bunch of unopened games. However, Metroid Prime Pinball is a must buy IMO. Because of the nature of the game, you play in short burst, so it really won't keep you from finishing the other games you have going. Of course, I played it most of the day today, so I really didn't play much else.

Problem with playing this in "short bursts" is saving your damn progress....that aspect is frustrating me, because I don't want to sit and play this for an hour at a time or more.

Magician said:
HAH!

I bet them PSP lovahs' are wishing they were overwhelmed.

Metroid Prime Pinball, yet another reason why DS>PSP.

Which is why I sold my PSP last week...

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
pixeljunkie said:
Problem with playing this in "short bursts" is saving your damn progress....that aspect is frustrating me, because I don't want to sit and play this for an hour at a time or more.

Which is why I sold my PSP last week...

I agree the lack of save function is frustrating, but other than that I can think of no complaints for this game. Everything about the gameplay is fantastic, being able to use Samus's bombs, powerbombs, and missles add a lot to the boss fights. Unlike a lot of the other franchises that got whored out this really keeps a good feel for Metroid instead of just feeling like Tennis in which you happen to be playing as Mario. If that makes any sense.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I played this game in the TRU Demo unit tonight, it seems like an ace game.

Pretty good ball physics, fun bonus modes, great graphics and great sounds. I think I'll be picking this up, I give it 8-8.5 out of 10.

Only real good pinball tables get the 10 out of 10, such as Twilight Zone, Theater of Magic, Cirqus Voltaire, etc.

Pro Pinball gets 9 out of 10 for the authentic pinball simulation experience.