Metal Slug X and Metal Slug 3 Variants (WIP/TEST)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Just testing the waters here on what you all would think of the following inserts.

Metal Slug X uses all new art, etc. The back is very rough but a quick look at my idea of the layout. (lots of cleaning needed, etc but it expresses the idea).
msxVar.jpg

Metal Slug 3 is simply a new art theme for the front. Incorporating my classic-shock style (colored megcount to match genre, etc.) Everything else is Big Bears insert. (I did clean up the bottom of the back insert).
ms3alternateart-copy.jpg

THis is really just a "feeling the water" type of thread. If people like it, perhaps I will move forward.

The original inserts to both of these games are excellent and Big Bear did a great job with them. I am simply playing with some ideas.

Please let me know what you think.

NeoCverA

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Too radical for my taste.,especially the Metal Slug X one. Your design and the template is not meshing well. A variant for the Metal Slug X back cover could be the MSX MVS cover for me personally and I would do something else fo rthe front...
-BB

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
Too radical for my taste.,especially the Metal Slug X one. Your design and the template is not meshing well. A variant for the Metal Slug X back cover could be the MSX MVS cover for me personally and I would do something else fo rthe front...
-BB

MSX MVS cover?
What are you talking about?

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
I LOVE the Slug 3 one. Mainly because it's different, I like seeing something other than the Shinkiro picture for it. I'd definately like to replace the one I have with that. As for X, I like the cover, but the back takes a radical departure from the template itself.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
The MS3 is pretty cool just because, like others said, it's a different front so it's a fresh take.

As for MSX, the back rocks but not on a classic insert. Try making a spine and front to match the back and it should be damn cool.
The front you used could be good, but again, with a different back.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I agree with everyone else, the front covers simply rock. I've never been a fan of the original MS3 cover art so seeing something different is wonderful. The MSX cover is nice as well, i've always liked that picture of fio and eri in the slug.

The MSX back does seem a bit to "radical" as big bear put it. It doesnt seem to really fit with the whole classic insert thing. But that said, i do like the back cover. Perhaps you can make multiple inserts if time allows?

And most importantly: great work again! keep it up!

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
That MS 3 front is VERY nice - perhaps even better than the original. The MS X isn't quite as nice as the MS 3, but it's still a really nice alternative to the original. I tend to go for the "busier" covers, so that's probably why I like the MS 3 cover so much. Also, I think the back of the MS X insert quite a lot - very innovative, IMO.

All in all, great work - for the 73rd time! :)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think that back meshes a little better with the front. But the "cartoon" faces of the front sort of clash with the "realistic" faces of the back. Still, a very cool back though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Where in the world do you find all this art? Very nice work