Metal Slug 4 AES Question

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
I have been watching this auction for a few days now. I am interesting in purchasing this game but the description the seller makes has made me unsure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-Metal-Slug-4-AES-US-100-Genuine-SNK-Game-MINT-Condition-/161963435357?hash=item25b5c5e55d:g:~rsAAOSwX~dWrLfu

Does anyone know if this is true or has anyone heard of this before?

Several people asked about the grey insert, so this isn't "Home Made" it was officially released by SNK Playmore on special request...only a few legit Games have them, this is genuine and with this insert also very rare to find.
For more information:

SNK has honored a very special request for something that has never been done before. They have redesigned some of the more recent releases to conform to the traditional style of design. This involves display of the game logo on the spine, meg count on the spine and front, as well as the classic gray borders.

These art packs are to be bundled with new NeoGeo home cartridges. However, these items are not permitted to be sold individually. Please understand that this method of distribution was strictly mandated by SNK Playmore and is largely out of our control.

Hubes22

New Challenger
I have been watching this auction for a few days now. I am interesting in purchasing this game but the description the seller makes has made me unsure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-Metal-Slug-4-AES-US-100-Genuine-SNK-Game-MINT-Condition-/161963435357?hash=item25b5c5e55d:g:~rsAAOSwX~dWrLfu

Does anyone know if this is true or has anyone heard of this before?

I reached out to this seller as well. He doesn't have the cart sticker, only the classic insert. I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of others on here but to me if you're a collector you would have kept the sticker as well, IMO. He is willing to send high resolution pictures over so maybe someone with a better eye can make sure it looks legit on the insert, label and manual. He did jack up the cart sticker and left a crease by opening up the cart all the way.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
You could always buy a fresh insert and sticker from the Neo Store link above, but that cart looks bootlegged to me. Not only is the photo too blurry to read the writing on the ROM chips (suspicious), the Flash ROM with the electrical tape over the window on the PROG board in the back is definitely not SNK factory original.

I suggest looking elsewhere, and check all circuit boards against MVS scans. The AES boards will look similar.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
Interesting if it's true *but* the cover with the yellow looks so much better! Why make something that was bright and exciting look grey and dull?? Kind of explains why 80% of video games in the last 10 years have been in shades of murky brown or grey. Western preference I guess...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The soldering on the back of the board he shows there looks factory to me. The remainder of the ROMs do say "Mega Enterprises" on them as they should. The EPROM with electrical tape over the window seems suspicious, but who knows after SNKP took over if the repairs were as neat as they once were. I would lean towards legit, but one thing is for certain: I paid $55 for a legit NOS MS4 kit and feel ripped off, I can't imagine getting >$600 of value out of the AES version.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The soldering on the back of the board he shows there looks factory to me. The remainder of the ROMs do say "Mega Enterprises" on them as they should. The EPROM with electrical tape over the window seems suspicious, but who knows after SNKP took over if the repairs were as neat as they once were. I would lean towards legit, but one thing is for certain: I paid $55 for a legit NOS MS4 kit and feel ripped off, I can't imagine getting >$600 of value out of the AES version.

I stand corrected - I looked at the boards earlier on the Ebay iPhone app and the chips all looked blurry there. Now that I look again on my desktop browser, I agree that all the chips look legitimate with the Mega Enterprises stamping except for the one with the taped EPROM.

Still if I was the one buying this and spending that much money, I'd hold out for a copy that's in the condition I want with the stickers and insert I want. Just my 2 cents. You do know that brand new, complete box kit Metal Slug 4 MVS sets are going for $55 on Ebay right?

EDIT: Just noticed madman mentioned the $55 MVS price tag as well. I agree that it isn't worth the big bucks as much as Metal Slugs 1-3 and X are.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Metal slug 4 isnt that bad as someone disgraced above. Ban Plz.

Regardless, i like original bright yellowish insert, even it's different from other games in the series.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98

I didn't know this was around this price.

purchase.PNG

I blame you for letting me know about this awesome deal. :buttrock:

I am still going to keep my eye on that AES version though...:smirk:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
It is most likely legit, boards look legit. It would make no sense for him to buy a MS4 jp copy and fake the english versionsd artwork and then auction it off at $1.00. It is odd that the sticker is missing I agree, and where is the original yellow insert?

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I believe there was a time when the inserts and stickers were sold separately for MS4 and MS5 classic. It never made much sense to me personally but I think it did happen.

Game looks totally real to me. But be careful, we all know what happened last time anyone listened to me on that sort of thing.

EDIT - that dude's other auctions look fine too. I would feel pretty comfortable about this one. Believe it or not some people tossed the original inserts after getting the classic style ones. Crazy but it's happened.

Last edited:

madman

I believe there was a time when the inserts and stickers were sold separately for MS4 and MS5 classic. It never made much sense to me personally but I think it did happen.
Did you happen to see the first response to this thread?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I put my sticker on my cart Nam1975 style, slapped right on top of the original, but so perfectly placed nobody would have ever noticed. I always wished I had saved the sticker in the manual baggy or something.

Shin Tin

n00b
Just as a word of warning, German ebay sellers only have to provide proof of postage in an INR (item not received) case as apposed to UK/US sellers that require proof of delivery/delivery confirmation.

Not saying they won't send it or that you won't get it but does seem pretty wack that they don't need to prove you received it, at least as far as eBay is concerned, paypal may be different though.

Ref: http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/international-buyer-and-seller-protection-programmes

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
That neo insert I'm trying to remember came with other games when you purchased them off the neo store. I can't remember what game I purchased but it came with a metal slug classic insert and sticker. There was another set for part 5 and there was one for some fighting game but I can't recall which. I also still have a KOF 2003 one that came with I'm thinking one of the metal slugs I bought but there was no sticker I think they were only made for slug 4 & 5.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Both Slugs 4 and 5 had classic inserts and stickers.
KoF 2001-03, and rage of the dragons had the inserts only.

madman

That game just sold for over $1,500. As if we needed any more proof of how stupid AES collecting is.