Megaman 9 & 10

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know I'm late to the party but I'm really liking these new games. Right now I'm fighting Wily's ship, I'm stock on its second form, don't know what else is next, yet.

So I figured since this game is so awesome that maybe there's other people out there playing it and getting the hang of the speed runs. You see, I'm really interested in the way this game forces you to play with speed, memorization is a must but above that is speed. I'm really liking the sheer degree of difficulty and some of the maneuvering that needs to be done to pass certain places. It just breaks you in and makes you faster all at once.

This brings me back to the days of Ninja Gaiden on the NES, you could fly through that game and not even know it, but that was then and this is now, so I'm glad I got to play this game, I was about to skip this whole thing. I don't know what's in store for 10 yet, I played the demo and it's not bad.

Any tips on Wily's ship second form would be great.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Concrete Shot works best. Look at the range of his fire arch attack when he shoots it. From there on, gauge how far away you need to be when he shoots it and jump when he opens his mouth and lets loose.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice, I will try that next time I'm in there, I just Beat the game before I read this, I made my way in with lots of tanks, and mega buster. During my time attack I'll practice what you said.

Thanks!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I do love both games, I actually haven't got back to finishing megaman10, was on the wily stages but got distracted by something else.

I never really tried to speed run the games though, I did practice one stage in megaman9 quite a bit but my time still wasn't in the top 100 lol.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Is it really? Did you complete that challenge yet? I used the mega buster to get through the end 'cause that's all I had left, I barraged Wily with everything I had handy.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I remember when I got Megaman 9 and thought "I'm the fucking king when it comes to Megaman" and then getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. I still haven't finished 10 yet, but after seeing this thread, I think I'll give it another go this weekend.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Downloaded all the extra stuff and I already cleared the special stage, I still need to work on a decent speed run though, so far I'm at 7 mins 'cause I was milking for weapons and life.

I love how Protoman plays like later NES megaman games. Trying to make a no continue run on that one, saves ok but I'm hoping to clear all the stages without loosing lives, I think I can pull it off 'cause I cleared all the time attacks stages, I just need to work on a decent weapon order to get through without hiccups, any tips?

I've been also watching Mr. Perfect runs on YouTube and learning from that a bit but I have to confess is really hard to exploit some of the patterns used, it's pretty intense.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Super Hero mode is where is at! Thing is very fair though, screens are just filled with more enemies, other than that everything is the same, no new holes to fall in nor speed increase in enemy patterns which is good 'cause I was worried I was gonna have a while another set of patterns to memorize.

Endless is awesome! So random though, it's all about improv!

Ah, now we're talking my language!

9's the best classic Megaman, frankly. The stages aren't so long or drawn out that you want to pull your hair out, they're fast-paced. They're only ordeals if you die a lot. Once you see the stage layouts, though, it's cake.

10, different story. Still fun, but see, in 9, it's the stages that will try to kill you. Often.
In 10, it's the midbosses/bosses/endurance. This is especially true if you do Buster-only runs.

Thing about 10, though, the Bass DLC was so worth it. And that Hard Mode! Oy, I don't think I could get through Strike Man's stage without dying, much less no-hit!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I still find other megaman games better but 9 is great for sure. Gameplay wise 9 could very well be the my favorite in some ways. It gets rid off all the riff raff that came with previous games like Rush having a few useless modes and what have you. I think design wise some stages are a bit lacking. Sometimes it feels like you're in a megaman 1 stage, not a good thing per say.

Personally I think Megaman 2 and 4 are the best but I do realize both games have their shortcomings. Everyone has their favorite I'm sure and 9 is a fine choice.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i love Magaman from 1 to 4.i finished 10 but got frustrated with 9. tough i want to comeback to 9 one of this days.liked the music very much.

Borgeois

n00b
I'm trying to collect a full set of Mega Man for the NES. I still need 1, 5 & 6. I'm going to play them in order and try to master them so that I can record a perfect run on each. :P

God, I'm a nerd. ;p

I was practicing up and doing some retro gaming so that I could get some skills back for my run through by playing 9 recently. I actually played it for a couple of days and could beat 4 bosses without getting hit using just the buster. Unfortunately, I somehow lost my motivation and moved onto other things, but reading this thread makes me want to go back and finish a perfect run in it.

I love the in-game achievements and how wild some of them are. Also, check out the Xbox achievements for it. How freaking insane are those! And for such a pitiful amount of gamer points!

Has anyone went back and played Mega Man 1 recently? God damn that game has no qualms about kicking your ass. :P

Zinji

Kabuki Klasher
Cool stuff, too bad Crapcom are DLC whores nowadays, too bad!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Who isn't? The whole gaming industry is a DLC whore nowdays, you either cope or play your games plain jane. Some DLC you just don't need...

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
mega man 9 and 10 rule like fuck

I got all the challenges done in 9 except for Mr. Perfect...basICALLY IMpossible unless you're one of those people who has legions of time to devote to the game. Even then you can get fucked over by the slightest change in boss patterns...which have a randomness component

I haven't completed all the challenges in 10 yet...I beat it but just haven't played it as extensively. Fortunately, it will award all of the challenges on easy mode

Niraflen

n00b
Remember having this discussion a while ago, but the only thing working against these games is the interlaced graphics / 480i they put out instead of NES-era low-res. Put these games through an upscaler with a scanline overlay and you get a little extra magic if you're into that sort of thing. :D

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Remember having this discussion a while ago, but the only thing working against these games is the interlaced graphics / 480i they put out instead of NES-era low-res. Put these games through an upscaler with a scanline overlay and you get a little extra magic if you're into that sort of thing. :D

Do the Wii versions output 240p?

Niraflen

n00b
Do the Wii versions output 240p?

Unfortunately no, they only output 480i (whether you have the Wii set to output 480i or 480p). Also, You need to set the Wii to output in 4:3 instead of 16:9 if you don't want Mega Man 10 to be extremely blurry. If you output in 4:3 everything's razor sharp, but in 16:9 all the edges become rounded (very noticeable on fonts). I did a comparison to the output of the PS3 versions of the games and personally confirm that the Wii's image for those titles at 480i is better than that put out by the PS3 at 480i/480p which is kind of filtered. (What my observations actually count for is another story. XD)

On a CRT (or a XRGB-3 in B1 mode with scanline emulation enabled), the faint interlacing that's a hallmark of 480i is visible, as opposed to the clean imagery you'd get out of an old NES. On the upside, the Wii game's graphics are scaled as though it were a 240p title, so if you line double every second line, you effectively get one of those 240p-games-in-480i-signal scenarios, with some very faint-if-not-invisible traces of field merging during movement. This allows an external scanline generator to correctly overlay scanlines on the game as though it were being output at 240p (can do the same for Mega Man Anniversary Collection on the PS2). Alternatively, you could pass the Wii output to a line-doubler, and the line-doubler's output to a downscaler, producing a 240p signal.

Life would be easier if the game could just do it direct, but it's not programmed that way. It's a shame since it can be done - for example, Konami went the extra mile with its Wii "Rebirth" retro games. Those output in 480p when the Wii is in 480p mode, and 240p when the Wii is in 480i mode.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The wii is a funny thing. Some games are filtered and others aren't. The Konami Wii games are not filterless, however the filter is very faint. The PC Engine games aren't filtered but the Turbo GraphX are, I know it sucks, Genesis games aren't filtered though so those play awesome.

I play my Wii on a SD CRT Triniton via component and it looks awesome when the games aren't filtered. Filtered games look the way they always look, washed out, but whatever is not unplayable per say.

So if you're telling me that MM 9&10 are both unfiltered on the Wii, I'll get them but I don't use none of that XRGB BS, I just like to keep things simple, if it ain't gonna look good on a component SD CRT then is not worth the hassle for me, I'll just keep playing the PS3 games.

ShadowDancer

New Challenger
Mega Man 9 was great is great. Bought it on Wii (for d-pad) and absolutely loved it.

I get your point about speed and Ninja Gaiden Nes comparison....I remember posting about NG That you actually feel like a ninja with the way you just pick everything up. (I also made a comment here today about how hard it is) Its more the last level or so...game of memory and skill.

Back OT Glad you're enjoyed them (I'm late in the thread!) how refreshing it was to see 8bit graphics released 20 (odd) years on....so beautiful.

I personally preferred 9 over 10. And true to mega man form, plenty of killer tunes, prefer 9 though.

Last edited:

Niraflen

n00b
The wii is a funny thing. Some games are filtered and others aren't. The Konami Wii games are not filterless, however the filter is very faint. The PC Engine games aren't filtered but the Turbo GraphX are, I know it sucks, Genesis games aren't filtered though so those play awesome.

I play my Wii on a SD CRT Triniton via component and it looks awesome when the games aren't filtered. Filtered games look the way they always look, washed out, but whatever is not unplayable per say.

I wouldn't say they're filtered (if run in 4:3 mode - 16:9 they are definitely filtered, at least MM10 is), but the graphic output is more like the TG-16 games (interlaced low-res) than the PC Engine / Konami games (progressive low-res). Honestly not sure whether you'd like 'em or not based on that. Like you said, probably less hassle to stay with the PS3 versions you have now.