Magaki - worst boss ever?

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Aside from the fact that the guy's design seems "inspired" by Blackheart from Capcom's Marvel games (which isn't necessarily a good thing), who in God's name thought it would be a good idea to have an annoyingly overpowered boss who looks like a crippled meth addict? Even though he's beatable by rolling through his many, many, many projectiles to either throw him or eventually combo him from behind, he's still ridiculously overpowered, yet looks like he can barely stand up under his own power. His posture is all crooked and he's got the shakes, like he's suffering from really bad drug withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone actually think it's fun or cool to have lose to (much less have to fight at all) a skinny, ugly, feeble-looking stick figure?

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
He's cool, aside from the design that looks too pink. A bit overpowered, yes. Annoying, yes. Cool thing for 1 player game, bad thing for 1CC

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
recon_zero said:
He's cool, aside from the design that looks too pink. A bit overpowered, yes. Annoying, yes. Cool thing for 1 player game, bad thing for 1CC

I don't really object to having an overpowered boss, because I expect them from fighting games at this point.

The issue that I have is that Magaki looks like a weakling crack addict, as well as being overpowered.

I don't mind getting smacked around by an overpowered boss if that boss at least looks capable of doing the job. Fighting Rugal for the first time was frustrating, yes, but he was also terrifying and looked like a bona fide asskicker, so it wasn't all that bad.

What I don't like is sissy-pants overpowered bosses like Magaki (Shion, Krizalid, Zero, etc.). It's the equivalent of losing to Choi or Chin, except that you don't always have to fight Choi or Chin. Once you get to the end of arcade mode/team mode in XI for the PS2, I feel like reaching for the reset button. That may just be me, apparently.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Yet you are playing a game full of little girls out-grappling mammoth men.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Few bosses get to me like Magaki... I don't think his design is that cool at all, really. He's like some tweaker Orochi... I remember the first time my friend and I got to him in the arcade. I thought, "He's really tough now, but once I have a chance to play this a lot, I'll be able to kick his ass." That same friend got XI for Atomiswave and I still feel like punching a hole in the monitor every time I fight Magaki. :lolz:

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
While I have yet to play this game, I'm getting sick of the lack of originality when it comes to fighting game bosses.

When the hell was the last boss that lacked a full screen super or didn't spam projectiles all day?!

Actually when was the last boss that lacked a projectile to spam all together?!

A guess you're not a fighter game boss if you lack either move these days... :oh_no:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
The only thing I could think of when I fought this boss was that he was a mix of 2nd abyss from MVC2 and Demon Hyo from Project Justice.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I think most people can agree that Magaki looks better when he's in his original outfit before the fight starts. But then when he takes it off and turns into that twitchy, faggy, thing.... no.

Hell, just look at that pose he strikes when he does his lame full-screen super... doesn't get much gayer than that.

As for fighting Magaki himself, I thought he was one of the cheapest bosses ever the first couple dozen times I reached him in the arcade, but now... I don't think he's THAT bad. If you can manage to knock him down once, keep the pressure on with another jumping attack when he gets up and he has about a 50/50 chance of eating it (otherwise he knocks you back). With a little luck you can keep doing the same knockdown combo on him over and over. Of course, it's getting that first combo that proves to be the tricky part... rolling can work okay if you're lucky, and for the most part I don't hyper-jump at him until he uses the big lower projectile. Time it right and you'll clear the projectile and possibly stop him if he was about to use another projectile. Just don't jump on him when he calls out any of the other projectiles first.

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
i hate that pink pussy of a boss!:mad:

im glad he dies!:kekeke:

very boring and lame boss

pink shirt,pinkballs everywhere,and pink wallpaper super? face only mother would love,looks like gator had sex with a small mut or somthing....:help:

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
I like him. He's one of the first bosses that literally looks like he's out to really really hurt his opponents. I haven't seen a boss that left that sort of "Oh shit, I'm gonna get hurt" impression even before the fight starts.

But yea, keep in mind that KOF XI has like what, 4 hidden bosses besides Shion and Magaki? And they don't carry those full screen super traits.

And yes I agree. Burt Reynolds Zero is the worst boss ever.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
-Hibikster- said:
But yea, keep in mind that KOF XI has like what, 4 hidden bosses besides Shion and Magaki? And they don't carry those full screen super traits.

I was referring to the end/true boss of the games actually.

Though thanks for reminding me of something else I've gotten sick of with SNKP fighters.

cam347

Crossed Swords Squire
I think he sux. And how is he modeled after Blackheart....wtf?! He's not even fun to play as. All u need to do against him is spam jumping E

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
BBH said:
I think most people can agree that Magaki looks better when he's in his original outfit before the fight starts. But then when he takes it off and turns into that twitchy, faggy, thing.... no.

Hell, just look at that pose he strikes when he does his lame full-screen super... doesn't get much gayer than that.

As for fighting Magaki himself, I thought he was one of the cheapest bosses ever the first couple dozen times I reached him in the arcade, but now... I don't think he's THAT bad. If you can manage to knock him down once, keep the pressure on with another jumping attack when he gets up and he has about a 50/50 chance of eating it (otherwise he knocks you back). With a little luck you can keep doing the same knockdown combo on him over and over. Of course, it's getting that first combo that proves to be the tricky part... rolling can work okay if you're lucky, and for the most part I don't hyper-jump at him until he uses the big lower projectile. Time it right and you'll clear the projectile and possibly stop him if he was about to use another projectile. Just don't jump on him when he calls out any of the other projectiles first.

Like I mentioned, I don't think he's unbeatable and I've taken him down plenty of times, abusing patterns as you have. I also think we're on the same wavelength about the guy's appearance and fighting style, which is really what I take issue with (and actually, his voice too).

The guy can kick the crap out of KOF's toughest characters even though he looks like a stiff breeze should kick his ass. And yet, someone somewhere thought he would be a good idea.

Like I mentioned, actually beating Magaki isn't a real problem for me. I don't get "scared" of him when I face him, I mainly just want to turn the damn game off because all the enjoyment just drained out of it. Same went for garbage bosses like Krizalid, Zero, Igniz, etc., who were also very much beatable, but were the opposite of fun to fight), but at least those guys could actually stand up straight.

-Hibikster- said:
I like him. He's one of the first bosses that literally looks like he's out to really really hurt his opponents. I haven't seen a boss that left that sort of "Oh shit, I'm gonna get hurt" impression even before the fight starts.

Sorry, I just don't follow this. What about Rugal? That guy looked and fought like a serious asskicker. If you care to follow the "story" at all, the guy collected people to turn into statues. Yes, he had some stupid patterns in 94 and 98, but in 95, and his second form in 94, he was an absolute terror (and if you were stupid against him 98, he would also tear you a new one).

Yeah, I know Rugal is old news and he's been the boss in a bunch of games already, but as far as I'm concerned, he's the only good KOF boss as far as actually looking like a tough and scary opponent. The other bosses have all just been overpowered sissies who are frankly kind of embarrassing to fight.

Last edited:

yashiroTCM

Hardened Shock Trooper
Haha u guys know what would be the funniest yet most puckable around all this?, to set up a 4 on 4 Mugen battle with all of the KOF bosses with their original AI at Level 8, we would be witnessing the mos beautiful cheapness spree ever seen on video games haha :kekeke:.