List all active arcades (worldwide)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
let's compile a list of all arcades we know of so that when traveling, people have an idea of where to go.

I will start off with

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur - Low Yat Plaza - arcade hidden on 4th floor (I think), has many snk and capcom games, for 1 ringgit a credit (about $0.30).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Lakulaku Sing & Play - France - Montpellier. Some SNK and Capcom Fighters, lot's of other stuff. Pay for playing time (5€=30 min., 10€=1 hour, 20€=1 Day, 30€=2 Days).

//EDIT: Beware opening hours are not reliable, might have closed on evenings when it's supposed to be open...

Last edited:

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Cool thread.

London;

Ok, London had a brilliant scene in the 90's but the best arcades (that were) are gone, with one (or two) expections (one of which I will discuss in detail).

Firstly, there are a couple of places in Central London, I beleive that there is still a Namco Funscape just over the bridge from Big Ben.

http://namcofunscape.com/location/london-county-hall#venue-info2

-------------------------

Near to china town / soho (Wardour Street)there is Las Vegas, which in the basement has a several noir cabs with tekken (MK X to come?), racing games DJ machines. In fact I really need to get back there as I saw some photos showing a pretty decent line up (that I didn't see a year ago) I'll get more info on these in due course.

https://www.facebook.com/LasVegasArcadeSoho

--------------------------

There is also a Barcade in Peckham, again I'll get more information.

--------------------------

Now then, now then;

North Action (lol)- Despite being stuck out in the arse-end of nowhere in London, North Action is the 'Heart of Gaming', well, it's the home to this afornamed, relatively new Arcade that was build on the bloody remains of one of the best arcades in the western hemisphere (Segaland / The Troc RIP :( ).

Heart of Gaming, adopts the contemporary practise of disposing of pay-per-play and opts for a single entry fee which can be between £7 and £10 depending on whether it's weekdays or weekends respectively.

In addition, you can also buy monthly passes (£20), which allow unlimited access for a month - although this may change depending on how things pan out.

It is also possible to rent out the arcade for the night - come the witching hour, the day's punters get dragged out and the sleepover nerds can get the booze out and game all night, and all morning.

Several of us from arcade otaku did this at the end of last summer and it snowballed a bit with other groups joining us, but it was bloody fantastic, and answered the age old question of what one can do when you can see barely play mario kart at 3 in the morning - the answer is play 4 more hours of Alpha 3, Super Turbo and Last Blade. :)

The line up at the HOG is fairly diverse, and whilst the main draw for age weathered arcade fans is the row of Versus Cities that run various versions of street fighter, they also have a selection of naomis, woodies, a Daytona (2 player only), a couple of light gun machines and a custom made bishi-bashi. Oh and two Vewlixes linked with Ultra SF.

They also have several dance machines which have been modded to be able to use your own MP3's.

In addition to this, they have a selection of home consoles with wide range of systems.

They regularly hold various non-arcade game, gaming events like smash brothers (which seems to be insanely popular), and also other Nintendo themed events.

I mentioned gaming events, they also hold Super Turbo and Third Strike tourneys that are now streamed to a projection screen. I think it may also be streamed to the net, or at least come games are uploaded.

The arcade is located relatively near to North Acton tube station, which is on the central line, although it is a bit tucked away, basically you turn left out of the tube station, left again to go over the bridge over the tracks, the turn left down the alley that follow the tube line, over a little road that cuts across you for access into the cemetary and then continue on till the end of the alley where some steps lead you to to literally the front door of the HOG (look right).

Check the HOG's facebook page for updates and last minute changes to opening times etc (which are usually 12 or 2pm or 4pm till midnight).

https://www.facebook.com/TheHeartOfGaming

No doubt other london peeps can chime in more specifally on the other aracdes in and around London, or i will follow up myself later.

As a final note, there are still amusement venues in coastal resort towns across the UK, one place that I want to try and visit this summer is Astro City in Southend on Sea.

http://astrocityarcade.co.uk/

As an even more finaler note, I also hope to check out the Pinball museum which apparently moved into the site of an old amusement park in Margate Kent (Coast), which is being refurbished (as in fact the whole town is). The park is open this June, but I think that the Pinball place is open already. In addition, there are some arcades close to the beach.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'll give some advice in China.

It seems arcades are just set up randomly in some shopping malls. I live in tier bumfuck nowhere and there are a couple of arcades here, but legitimately hidden, it's insane. There are Outrunners, House of the Dead, Rage Racer and Gunblade NY cabs in this shitty little department store on the fucking third floor away from everything else tucked into a corner opposite children's shoes.

There's another arcade with Fist of the North Star, Demolish Fist, Rad Racer, motherfucking Mario Kart GP and others on the fourth floor of some other shitty little shopping mall where I live.

Chances are, though, that if you do go to China you won't go to bumfuck nowhere. So check out pretty much any Wanda Mall (万达广场) and there'll be an arcade somewhere there perhaps called something like Super Players . My Wanda mall has a great assortment of games - an insane Outrun 2 four car set up with the cars moving, a ton of shooter including Gunbird 2, Strikers, Castle Shikigami, a bunch of Neo fighters (wtf is it with China and Neo Double Dragon, seriously), some Slugs, Let's Go Safari!, a bunch of KOFs (there was a tourney there last sumer), etc...it's great.

So that's my advice if any of you go to China. I hope none of you waste your time playing fucking video games while on vacation, but there it is. Check out any shitty shopping mall in China, chances are you'll be really surprised by the selection.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
There are several Barcade locations in and around New York City. Each location has around 40 or so games each and several of them have Neo Geo MVS cabinets. Check out their website, barcade.com , for a listing of games at each location. All games are 25 cents and they have some kick ass beer.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Cincinnati, OH...that insanely popular travel destination (:keke: :keke: :keke:), is home to Arcade Legacy. It's located in the long abandoned mall formally known as Forest Fair / currently known as Cincinnati Mall. $5 for the first hour or $10 all day and you can play a wide array of arcade machines such as Battletoads, Capcom vs. SNK 2, a Neo 4-slot, some pinballs and even console games.

Some of the machines have issues such as no sound or controls in need of repair but these are generally the exception to the rule. The lighting on the arcade side is always turned off, presumably to reduce screen glare. While that's good for the arcade machines, it has made shopping in the game shop part annoying sometimes and if you're only there to shop, bring a LED flashlight. :p

Games Galore is another place that is a combination game store and arcade. It's more game store than arcade but has several Capcom beat em ups like The Punisher & Aliens vs. Predator, a 161-in 1 inside it's Neo cab, 4-player Konami X-Men (they used to have the 2-screen 6-player cab but sold it :annoyed:), the GI Joe arcade game, and a Fix It Felix machine. The cabs look custom built for the most part and all are for sale (though the prices asked are a little steep IMO :emb:). One word of advice is to not go in on Saturday mornings as MTG/YuGiOh players flood the store and make moving around somewhat hard.

There's a Dave & Busters and a Sega GameWorks here as well (across the river in Northern KY) but I figure this thread isn't for those type of places otherwise people would have listed Chuck E. Cheese locations as well. :keke:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Denver has quite a few

There's the 1up, a barcade in lower Downtown near Coors Field. Mostly late 70s through mid 90s games, with a few modern ones like Pacman and DDR.

And their other location, the 2up, is down on East Colfax where all the hookers hang out. Not as good as the main location but it's not as packed and easier to park

There's a Dave and Buster's at Colorado Blvd and I-25, one of the busiest traffic areas in this part of the country

there's a shitty little one with 10-15 games in the Aurora mall (that's the ghetto mall here)

There's Nickel a Play, which I believe has two locations. They charge a 5$ cover, but all the games that don't print tickets are free play. the ones that do print tickets are a nickel, and you can exchange the tickets for shitty plastic prizes ala chuck e cheese

there's still a few chuck e cheeses too

There are a few little arcades at Elitch Gardens, the biggest amusement park here (used to be six flags affiliated)

that's all I can remember off the top of my head. there might be a pinball arcade in lone tree, can't remember

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I only know of two in the state I live in,

Time Out - Used to have rows of Astro City cabs but about 2 years ago it's now DDR and racing types. Couple LCD cabs there with SF4/T6
609 Station St, Box Hill
Victoria

Galactic Circus - Quite huge, has many dedicated cab set ups. Used to have candies 10-15 years ago but there's a few Viewlix cabs there with SF4/T6 from memory.
Crown Entertainment Complex
8 Whiteman Street, Southbank
Victoria

I don't even bother but at least Time Out is in basically little china so there's great food everywhere there.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There is just something about arcades that online gaming will never replace. Like if you're playing a fighter, and the guy you're fighting is right next to you, and there's people all around watching the fight. And with online games, you're not risking your quarter.

Last edited:

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Barmouth in Wales has some great arcades. Every year I go for a holiday and set aside a whole day to play Namco Kart Duel (full moving kart rig) while the wife and kids are on the beach. I'm so good at it now I complete the game every time so that gets me 20 minutes of top action for 50p a go! The game is mint so if you are in the area check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcw0BUOSHs

Blackpool (loads of them) and St Annes Pier also have good arcades.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Here's some of the arcades in/near Vancouver BC, Canada. There might be a couple I'm missing, but these are the most notable.

Movie-land - Downtown Vancouver
Some old games, and pinball, but mainly 90's era machines. Still has a 6-player Daytona set-up, and a bunch of light-gun games. One of the oldest arcades in the city that's still standing. Still has the old 70's style video peep show booths in the back (which might be strange to the conservative crowd, but keep in mind Van-city was the next biggest hippie city on the West Coast BITD).

E-spot - Richmond BC (suburb of Vancouver)
Huge place, has arcade machines, redemption games, pool tables, and e-cafe set-ups. Most of their arcade machines are Japanese cabinets (mainly NAC's) but there are a few oddball games, especially the newer tank and racing types.

Vancouver Street Battle - Burnaby BC (suburb of Vancouver)
Fighting game venue, started by Air (high-level Canadian SF player) not too long ago. They have multiple console set-ups mainly featuring Ultra Street Fighter IV, a room dedicated to Super Smash Bros, some Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 set-ups, and a few of those anime fighters. $5 entry, unlimited play, winner stays on format.

Command HQ - Burnaby BC (in Metrotown mall)
Candy cabinets, redemption machines, dance/beat games...not many older titles, but last time I was there they had a 4-slot Big-Red. Also its the only place where I've seen a Raiden IV in the wild.

Randomsense

New Challenger
California, USA

Super Arcade - Was originally in Walnut, CA but it looks like they are in the process of moving to Azusa, CA
Additional Info

James Games - 364 W Foothill Blvd., Upland, CA 91786
Been a while since I've been here but the owner is very cool and approachable.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
let's compile a list of all arcades we know of so that when traveling, people have an idea of where to go.

I will start off with

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur - Low Yat Plaza - arcade hidden on 4th floor (I think), has many snk and capcom games, for 1 ringgit a credit (about $0.30).
There needs to be a website that lists all of the arcades in the world. Would just about need a separate list for all the Japanese arcades. Would be good for when ng.com members go overseas, they could meet up or something. Even if it's a tiny one in a backstreet of a Japanese city.