Last Blade 2 Shock Insert AND Shock Manual

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I mentioned I was working on an idea, well...here it is*:

Like all of my inserts this one is vector art (drawn with Illustrator) so it's resolution independant and should print beautifully. It'll look as good as you're willing to make it (if you wanted to send it to a 4 color press, you could).

lastblade2insert.jpg

Okay, here's what's up with the manual. I've been playing with this idea for a few months and finally got around to making it. It's trying to be a more or less complete instruction guide for Last Blade 2. The reason is I never really like printing up massive FAQ if all I really want are some movelists and some combos, so...

lastblade2manual1.jpg

lastblade2manual2.jpg

lastblade2manual3.jpg

lastblade2manual4.jpg

Right now it's dimensions would allow it to be printed on most home printers (11x7.375) but if future manuals have constant background art (fullbleed) then it may have to be taken to a Kinko's (unless you have a full-bleed printer at home).
Also, it will fit perfectly in the recessed area beneath the MVS cart in a shockbox case.

There may still be typos and changes, this is more or less a work in progress.

I'm going to have to send my laptop to the shop today (I'm actually on my way out as we speak) and then I'll be in Atlanta until the middle of nextweek, but I'm about 80% finished and, hopefully, I'll be releasing them soon. (BigBear and Kazuya, let me know if you guys are interested in hosting.)

I'm estimating about 2.5MB for the insert and about 2MB for the manual.

*PLEASE do not try to print out these images. They're only 72dpi and they'll look like ass. Wait for me to release the .pdf versions. You'll be glad you did.

**The character pages are really really really works in progress. I'm going to add some more info (suggested power mode), some combos and a few lines for you to write in notes regarding that character. Also I'm going to make these pages look a little better.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Thats awesome! I really like what you did with the screenshots in the back/ bamboo border. Really nice touch. Great work!

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Wow nize work...and very creative. It's nize to see how many peeps are comin out of the woodwork w/ SBI's lately. Hopefully it keeps up! :smirk:

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Neon_Sonic said:
Awesome. So you completely redrew the logo?

Yup. On the insert if it ain't screenshot, I drew it. Really it's not that bad, it took a fraction of the time it took for me to draw the Baseball Stars insert.

Thanks everyone else, glad you like it.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Sorry to be repeating what everyone else has already said, but excellent work!
It follows the simple rule of layout: Simple, yet satisfying.

Very, very nice and I dig the manual as well!
How long did it actually take you?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Blaine,

I made an insert for myself (im a classic-shock whore) using your background and logos along with your bamboo border for the front image (excellent work.) Put it all together and came up with this.

lastblade2.jpg

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
GoSpits said:
Very, very nice and I dig the manual as well!
How long did it actually take you?

Glad you like. I'd guess it took about 2 hours, max. I'd even say 1 hour but I sorta zone when I work so time goes fast.

NeoCverA said:
Blaine,

I made an insert for myself (im a classic-shock whore) using your background and logos along with your bamboo border for the front image (excellent work.) Put it all together and came up with this.

If it feels good, do it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Hello Blaine.
What ever did happen to the Baseball Stars 2 image???
I am very impressed with the manual.
Is the based off of reference material or are you building it up from scratch??
-BB

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
BIG BEAR said:
Hello Blaine.
What ever did happen to the Baseball Stars 2 image???

I finished that right around the time they were forbidden if memory serves (maybe I did it before I did puzzle bobble). I still have a copy if you want it.

BIG BEAR said:
I am very impressed with the manual.
Is the based off of reference material or are you building it up from scratch??
-BB

From scratch (screen shots and character art I downloaded, the rest I'm drawing). I measured out the area under the cart, did a little rounding and just started building it. I'm glad you like. I really wanna do inserts and manuals for at least Neo Turf Masters (I have a couple cool ideas for that) and maybe Metal Slug (couple ideas for that too). Time is a factor though.

Thanks again to everyone who likes it so far.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
Blaine,

I love the classic shock inserts too - so, you gonna upload this one to BB's site too :D ???

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
NeoCverA said:
Blaine,

lastblade2.jpg

Is this one available for download anywhere? Really awesome! :D

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:
Is this one available for download anywhere? Really awesome! :D

Well actually it is for personal use, I've since changed it around for myself. I just wanted to show Blaine how his work inspired me to create an alternative. Since it is primarily Blaine's graphics that I used, I don't think it would be appropriate to post it without his permission.

This is what I have at the moment (still toying with it).
lastblade2v2.jpg

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Understandable... maybe blaine will allow it. His is really nice too, I like the front with the bamboo though. Thanks,

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Whats the scoop Blaine? Have you gotten the crispy file to Big Bear or uploaded anywhere? How about your other inserts?

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
NeoCverA said:
Whats the scoop Blaine?

Blaine said:
I'm going to have to send my laptop to the shop today (I'm actually on my way out as we speak) and then I'll be in Atlanta until the middle of nextweek...

I just got home right now. So the progress is exactly the same. I just fixed a typo when I had a spare minute. I still have to finish the design in general.

After that I need to proof read and check it for accuracy (specifically the moves, make sure I didn't get any wires crossed).

I'll let you know when it's done.