KOF98 lvl8 stupidity -

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
King of Fighters 98 is the KOF game I play almost daily - it's always on.

Obviously, the difficulty setting is set to lvl8, to try and makes things interesting, but last night, playing KOF98 against the CPU became completely uninteresting or even remotely challenging.

I started playing with Terry Bogard + 2 random characters. So I fight against some character, and I pull off a basic Terry combo -

jA, sC, qcf+B, jC

The 4-hit combo works, and because of the last jump being offensive, I land before my opponent.

The moment my enemy lands, I try a slight variation of the combo mentioned before:

sC, qcf+B, jC

Amazingly, the CPU doesn't block the first hit, and recieves the 3-hit combo completely.

I land before my opponent once more, and try the same combo. It works, over and over again. The CPU didn't block one single hit.

So, when the first match ends, I thought "Well, it's the first opponent, I am sure this won't work with all others..."

I try it, and it works again.

So I beat all the characters in the game the same cheap way, until I face Omega Rugal.

It works against Rugal as well.

I seriously never thought the CPU would fall into such a simple "trap". Really disappointing.

No more KOF98 for me for a while :crying:

Hecker

Mizuki's Demon
you_win_the_prize.jpg

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Welcome to KOF.
The difficulty sucks balls when you get to a better level.
CPU cant touch me in 2002 if I dont play all shitty, and I use 100%'s with my yama and vanessa whenever I can.
Fuck CPU play.
I only dig it to test out openings for certain combos I like.

This is pointless though, human players are to smart for most methods Yama can dish out, hes very tough to get good with, and thats why I love him.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Welcome to KOF.
CPU cant touch me in 2002 if I dont play all shitty, and I use 100%'s with my yama and vanessa whenever I can.
Fuck CPU play.

This is pointless though, human players are to smart for most methods Yama can dish out, hes very tough to get good with, and thats why I love him.

I mostly play against human opponents, both on console and at the arcades - but like you just stated, playing against the CPU sometimes is good practice.

Still, I never imagined the CPU on hardest setting would fall for something not even the worst KOF players would fall for.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Most fighters have a pattern that the ai falls for. If i want a challenge i try and defeat the ai with out resorting to cheapness. If you want a challenge try earlier neo titles :glee:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Originally Posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser
Welcome to KOF.
Fuck CPU play.

exactly. thats why i just love playing with yamazaki. every game hes in i use him. so unique and cool since fatal fury 3. nearly unbeatable in proffesionall hands and nearly unusable by scrubs and amatuers. for some reason i dont like his CVS2 version very much (probably got to do with him being unable to do grapple combos). its not that hes not good, cause i still whoop ass. he just plays so differently from his RB and kof versions. really would like to play a motw version of him if they would release MOTW2.

Knatty Dreadnok

Crossed Swords Squire
You know, when I got bored with '98.... I saved the game on the Masters Team "Despite ones Age". Not the team play mode, but the Single play. I saved it against Takuma. Then, I went into the options, MAXED the A.I. at Lvl 8, Increased the Cpu's life, Maxed out the DM's and SDM's then decreased my life a bit and completely shut off my DM's & SDM's. I wanted to learn a different character, so I chose Heavy D!:mr_t:

Needles to say I was slaughtered but after a few days of play... I got better and eventually I completely owned that game! Now everyone else pales in comparison. Don't matter I chew'em up and spit'em out! :mad:

There's something about that stage and competing with Takuma that makes it feel more like a sparring or training session "kume-tei" than your typical brawl. He fights HARD, he's not cheap and it's FUN, particularly when you use Ryo or Takuma against himself! I played at that level with those settings for almost a week before playing other fighters again. So whenever I want to train... that's what I do.

Last edited: