KOF '97 CPU teams.. random?

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
ive been playing '97 since it came out... but i just noticed, when i play in arcades, against the cpu... all the teams i challenge are random (except orochi team), i never battle for example Japan Team (Kyo, Benimaru, Goro) as they are... i always battle random teams, for example, in the 1st stage, i battle Andy, Leona, Chizuru, then the next stage, Chris, Goro, Ryo.. and so on.
i was wonderin if this was normal ;P

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
It's done this on occasion to me. But sometimes if I pick certain teams (ie Athena/Ralf/Clark - the classic SNK team) the CPU will dish out the assigned teams as your opponents.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern or not to how the CPU chooses to give you either random or assigned teams.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Domino-chan said:
It's done this on occasion to me. But sometimes if I pick certain teams (ie Athena/Ralf/Clark - the classic SNK team) the CPU will dish out the assigned teams as your opponents.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern or not to how the CPU chooses to give you either random or assigned teams.

I think you meant Leona/Ralf/Clark, am I mistaken?

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
SnairDogg said:
I think you meant Leona/Ralf/Clark, am I mistaken?

no, he meant that... in '97 there's a special team called SNK Heroes... whihc is Athena, Ralph and CLark, who all came from classic SNK game,(ikari warriors, and PsychoSoldier and Athena), they even have a special ending in which they were shown in thier past "Uniforms" ,Athena in a Bikini with a Sword and Shield, Ralph and Clark in "Rambo" style look, in bandana, w/o shirts, with face camoflauge inks, adn also Kensou appears in his old green chinese suit with a bandana...

i think i also solved the random team thing... When you choose a proper team (ex, Japan team, AOF team, etc)
, all your enemies will also be proper teams. but when you edit your own team, you also fight random edit teams

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
roninbuddha said:
i think i also solved the random team thing... When you choose a proper team (ex, Japan team, AOF team, etc)
, all your enemies will also be proper teams. but when you edit your own team, you also fight random edit teams

Nope. At least not on US BIOS homecart. I choose random teams nearly all the time and it seems to be totally random whether I fight set teams (most of the time) or random cpu teams.

On the subject there were another few team endings that are only available in Japanese BIOS mode:

Fire Genki aka NEO GEO FREAK team: Kyo, Mai, Billy
Yamazaki & The Prisoners aka Famitsuu Team: Yamazaki, Chang, Choi
Gamest Team: Terry, Joe, Mary

So you get an extra picture. But it's nice all the same.

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Neo Bomber Man said:
Nope. At least not on US BIOS homecart. I choose random teams nearly all the time and it seems to be totally random whether I fight set teams (most of the time) or random cpu teams.

On the subject there were another few team endings that are only available in Japanese BIOS mode:

Fire Genki aka NEO GEO FREAK team: Kyo, Mai, Billy
Yamazaki & The Prisoners aka Famitsuu Team: Yamazaki, Chang, Choi
Gamest Team: Terry, Joe, Mary

So you get an extra picture. But it's nice all the same.

well, i have a jpn MVS, so, i dunno...

wow, i didnt know that there was a Kyo Mai billy special illustration... thanks, gotta see that

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Yes, the NeoGeo Freak Special Team (Mary, Yamazaki, Billy) is the only one that never edits. Like the boss team from '96.

'97 has a whole bunch of special hidden endings. I don't remember all of them offhand, but Athena/Ralf/Clark is one, Robert/Andy/Benimaru is another, and so is Kyo/Iori/Chizuru. Grab a FAQ from Kao Megura (RIP) at gamefaqs for more details.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Yar, don't forget the other special ending if you beat Orochi with Kyo when he is with Beni and Daimon.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
EX_Andy said:
Yes, the NeoGeo Freak Special Team (Mary, Yamazaki, Billy) is the only one that never edits.

Same thing for the New Face Team. And the Orochi Team if you even want to count them.

Yar, don't forget the other special ending if you beat Orochi with Kyo when he is with Beni and Daimon.

You just need to pick Kyo with any teammates other than Iori and in round-1 beat Orochi with Kyo, correct? No need to choose the whole Japan Team. But then I haven't tried for that ending in a long time so I forget. Good memory though. :)

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I always tought that it happens depending your criteria to choose the fighters.

If you choose a complete regular team (leona/ralf/clark as example), the cpu will use complete teams too.

If you choose random teams (leona/athena/ryo as example) you will fight random cpu teams.

I never cared to test it. Correct me if It's BS.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I've chosen completely random teams and have fought assigned teams before... and vice versa.

I think it is random....

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Hey domino don't forget that when you're playing KOF 97 it's:

A for weak punch
B for weak kick
C for strong punch
D for strong kick

:)