KING OF THE MONSTERS 2 & WORLD HEROES ON THE TURBO GRAFX 16?

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I came across an old Gamasutra article on the 25th anniversary of the awesome Turbo Grafx 16. Specifically, the USA branch of Hudson Soft - T.T.I. Inc. suggested to Japan and upgrade the TG-16 BIOS & RAM via a new system card and release World Heroes & King of the Monsters 2 for it. The deal fell through in the US, but ended up happening with other Neo-Geo titles on the PC Engine in Japan. What's interesting are the screenshots from the final issue of Turbo Force magazine of World Heroes & King of the Monsters 2 supposedly for the TG-16. These shots are not from the Genesis, Super Nintendo, or Neo-Geo from what I can find. I'm curious if these shots were just mock up title screens or some development actually occurred.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php?page=5

Attachments

• Turbo_Force_Issue_04_Spring_1993_0028.jpg
    Turbo_Force_Issue_04_Spring_1993_0028.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 21

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I think they are mock ups. I still have that magazine to this day. And I remember seeing them in there. The actual PC Engine releases included Art of Fighting & Fatal Fury 2 and they did come out very good. Just like the SF2 for T16 which was absolutely incredible. Fatal Fury Special on Sega CD was an excellent port as well.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Interesting, I did remember that World Heroes was supposed to be released on the PCE/TG16 from a game mag I read when I was a kid I think, I dont know about King of the Monsters 2 though.

AirZonk

n00b
IIRC Working Designs was supposed to release World Heroes, but they cancelled it when they saw that Hudson was working on World Heroes 2.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Those are mockups, Victor Ireland had a screen with a "coming soon" sign that cycled between their logo and those two screens in their (TTi's?) '93 CES booth. Winter CES to be more exact. Same place where they showed the Gygax Dangerous Dimensions game that was canned, and all the sweet sweet localizations they didn't actually bring to the west like Demon's World, Gradius 2, Image Fight...

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's too bad WH & KOM2 didn't happen. I wish someone with programming skills would port Mortal Kombat and maybe these titles to the TG-16 like we might have gotten them, also throw in Galaxy Force II & Strider for the SGX lol.