King of fighters 99 bad graphics

Cyberosis

n00b
Bad graphics on kof99. Cleaned the contacts and no difference. UI shows up so I don’t know if that means a rom issue or a dreaded neo-cmc death. Thoughts? Should I go through the effort of reading every rom?

6CAF6AFF-06AF-4088-BC98-89F2D3C35E2B.jpegBB888B0A-FDBE-421D-9AE5-3FF67BF6F5E5.jpeg

Cyberosis

n00b
Doing some digging on the neo geo wiki and it seems the M1 (Z80 sound drivers rom) is also suppose to be encrypted by the CMC. I have sound so maybe it is a graphics rom that's gone bad?

Cyberosis

n00b
S1 (UI layer) is encrypted in the Character roms on kof99. It seems either its a half dead CMC or one of the C roms is bad. With 2 of the 3 parts that are encrypted by the CMC working I think I'm gonna go ahead and de-solder the C roms tonight.

Last edited:

Cyberosis

n00b
reflowed all the C roms and CMC and got no difference. I started pulling the roms and checking them. I find it interesting that with any C rom removed parts of the image are lost over the whole image. Makes me think the CMC is seeing every C rom. decoding properly only when all C roms are plugged in.
93366818-7778-4ECE-9414-FA7D71F79076.jpeg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It appears to be one or two bad C roms.
Do you live in the US?
Is this an MVS cartridge?
BB

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
reflowed all the C roms and CMC and got no difference. I started pulling the roms and checking them. I find it interesting that with any C rom removed parts of the image are lost over the whole image. Makes me think the CMC is seeing every C rom. decoding properly only when all C roms are plugged in.
View attachment 59407
did you check them against known good dumps? see if the checksums match

Cyberosis

n00b
awbacon - is there a good place to get confirmed good dumps? I've been checking against the mame version

Big bear- vancouver canada yes its a mvs cart.

I started socketing the roms but it seems like a tight fit. Is it as good idea to socket on this board?

IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1790.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
awbacon - is there a good place to get confirmed good dumps? I've been checking against the mame version

Big bear- vancouver canada yes its a mvs cart.

I started socketing the roms but it seems like a tight fit. Is it as good idea to socket on this board?

View attachment 59432View attachment 59431
You can socket the board.I see you've completed the majority of them so you may as well finish.
I have some original, good C roms if you need them.
BB

Last edited:

Cyberosis

n00b
Quick update. Pulled out 5 of the 8 C roms and they're all good so far. ran out of solder wick so will have to wait till I get some more. Getting scared they're all good but will see. 3 more to go...

Thanks for the offer big bear. Will def hit you up if I find a bad one. I also have a bad king of fighters 2000 with an exploded CMC chip. let me know if you have one of those, and what price if so.

IMG_1693.jpgIMG_1694.jpg

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Quick update. Pulled out 5 of the 8 C roms and they're all good so far. ran out of solder wick so will have to wait till I get some more. Getting scared they're all good but will see. 3 more to go...

Thanks for the offer big bear. Will def hit you up if I find a bad one. I also have a bad king of fighters 2000 with an exploded crc chip. let me know if you have one of those, and what price if so.

View attachment 59438View attachment 59439
ouch

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You have to use low profile sockets.

I guess you must have checked all the traces for the C roms. I'd do that before pulling all of them.

Cyberosis

n00b
Update. Pulled all the C roms and they're all reading back good. Gonna check the traces again but it seems to be another bad NEO-CMC...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Update. Pulled all the C roms and they're all reading back good. Gonna check the traces again but it seems to be another bad NEO-CMC...
If you need a replacement CHAFIO,let me know.I can leave it populated with the KOF'99 roms already in place.
In regards to the CHAFIO for KOF 2K you may be better off purchasing another cart but if you don't want to do that and rather have two CHAFIOS, both populated let me know.
BB