King Bhumibol of Thailand, aged 88, is dead

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
He was on my deadpool this year.

Lotsa folks don't realize there are pics of him everywhere in Thailand. Like, mainly from thirty years ago pics, but still EVERYWHERE.

Akso he may or may not have killed his brother for the throne.

RIP. Now your son may ascend.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
YEAH... There are rumours about him all over about what he did or did not do in Thailand...

It's sorta illegal to even discuss the succession in Thailand... which is like talking about the US elections without mentioning there's... an election happening at all.. and there's a "THING" happening in November..

xROTx

PS. What are my chances of becoming the New Thai King?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Longest reigning king in history

His photo graced every Thai restaurant in the world.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Longest reigning king in history

His photo graced every Thai restaurant in the world.
that's nuts. I had a Thai friend back in London and his parents had a Thai restaurant (as you do) - sure enough there was a picture of him hung on one of the walls.
I don't recall why but I once had the framed picture in my hand and my friend got very pissed indeed. apparently holding a picture where your hand clasp the head is deemed extremely offensive.
I still thought he was a knob for reacting that way but whatever.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
nutz

http://www.thaizer.com/royal-family/thailands-lese-majeste-laws/

e.g.
In August 2014, a Bangkok taxi driver was prosecuted for comments deemed derogatory of the monarchy. The taxi driver had been discussing politics with a passenger in his cab. The passenger recorded the driver’s comments on a mobile phone and handed them to the police. The taxi driver was sentenced to five years in jail which was then halved for pleading guilty.

and from wikipedia:
Recently in 2013, the Thai Supreme Court ruled in case no. 6374/2556 that Article 112 of the Penal Code protects the past kings as well as the present one. Criticisms or comments which tarnish past kings or the monarchy is punishable by law. However, scholars raised doubts as to how far back lèse-majesté will be applied as the present Thai monarchy (Ratanakosin) dates back more than 200 years while other monarchies which ruled Siam can be traced back as far as 700 years.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

the 17th longest in history.

but the longest reigning that was living.

at DR, the king Bhumibol pardoned anyone who got arrested for that. the Thai people really, really love their king tho

yeah I don't doubt that a lot of people over there love(d) him and I'm not trying to be too condescending, but it feels like it was a case of love him or get fucked. and he pardoned the foreigners that got entangled in this all, but some of his countrymen had to do hard time

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Shito had his picture along with others posted in his house..

Not thai though...

hmmmmmm

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
He was just a figurehead.

Everybody knows that Shadaloo actually runs Thailand.