Just got KOF '98

R-Dash

n00b
It'd been about 4 years since I played '98, man I forgot what an awsome game it is!! I had it on the PS1 years ago, and I played it to death, but the load times could have been better. So after awhile I sold it. I just got the AES cart, and have been playing almost non stop for a week now. It's become my second fav behind '99. How does everyone else feel about '98?

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
It looks good, but I've never checked out. Honestly, it's because it doesn't look that appealing from the pictures I've seen. Are there any videos of it in action?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
It looks good, but I've never checked out. Honestly, it's because it doesn't look that appealing from the pictures I've seen. Are there any videos of it in action?

Best KOF.

R-Dash

n00b
The music is sweet too. So many classic tunes. '98 is a must have game IMO.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
KoF 98's a masterpiece. I play 2002 quite often as well.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If I HAD to pick one KOF to play for the rest of my life, it would hands down be 98. The game's got great, steady animation on all characters, great music, a ton of characters, and let's not forget the amazing gameplay. Best KOF, if you ask me. There are others that I really really love, like 2k, 2k2 and 96, but 98 is just amazing. Everything in this game comes together so well, unlike some of the later ones... ones where the art styles don't seem to match. Ones where not everyone animates as well... some are much better than others, in other words. 98 is very balanced out in both style and gameplay.

GREAT game.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Spike Spiegel said:
If I HAD to pick one KOF to play for the rest of my life, it would hands down be 98. The game's got great, steady animation on all characters, great music, a ton of characters, and let's not forget the amazing gameplay. Best KOF, if you ask me. There are others that I really really love, like 2k, 2k2 and 96, but 98 is just amazing. Everything in this game comes together so well, unlike some of the later ones... ones where the art styles don't seem to match. Ones where not everyone animates as well... some are much better than others, in other words. 98 is very balanced out in both style and gameplay.

GREAT game.

QFT.

I would also add that KoFXI is the first one since to approach this level of quality, fun, and intensity.

'98 is one of the few games that make me miss my old homecart system.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I really used to hate on this game.

However, I decided to give it a shot and I am a believer. It's definately the best Neo Geo Kof (I have not played any of the Atomiswave SNK games).

The art is garbage, ignore that. The gameplay is golden, believe that.

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
Kof 98 was the first game i've bought for my AES, it's freakin' awesome and it's one of my favorite King of Fighters games, followed by Kof 96 :chimp:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
QFT.

I would also add that KoFXI is the first one since to approach this level of quality, fun, and intensity.

'98 is one of the few games that make me miss my old homecart system.

Yeah, I read your myspace comment about XI being awesome... I've GOT to play that. It seems to be a popular opinion, and it saddens me that I've yet to even see a machine of this anywhere running (big surprise).

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
all the kofs have good gameplay,and a few others are more "balanced" for sure

like 2002

R-Dash

n00b
I REALLY want to play KOF XI. Everyone says it's awsome. Hopefuly it will be released over here so I can rock it.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
IMO KOF 98 is the best fighting game on Neo Geo. The gameplay is just so awsome in that one. Samurai 2 comes close though.

R-Dash

n00b
alec said:
IMO KOF 98 is the best fighting game on Neo Geo. The gameplay is just so awsome in that one. Samurai 2 comes close though.

Hell yeah! Samurai Shodown 2 is awsome. Still my fav Shodown game.

gmtkr

n00b
R-Dash said:
Hell yeah! Samurai Shodown 2 is awsome. Still my fav Shodown game.
aahh, the golden age of the neo geo :D :tickled:
they sure don't make 'em like they used to :rolleyes:

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
still 98 remains the topdogg IMO. XI is great too, but the addition of these creapy and freaky and just fugly characters is just too much. why the hell put somebody like momoko and ash in a game, elizabeth? wtf is that. snk character design was still good in 98, its pretty much fucked up right now. ive only seen 2 good originall characters from snkp, thats oswald from XI and yoshitora from SS. everything else seems rather fucked up to me.

Alex Neuco

Quiz Detective
I used to have it for the Dreamcast, where it was known as Dream Match 1999. But I traded it in when I copped Evolution '99 for Dreamcast. Damn, now I want it again. :emb:

_Exiled_

Overtop Pathfinder
MUSOLINI said:
ive only seen 2 good originall characters from snkp, thats oswald from XI and yoshitora from SS. everything else seems rather fucked up to me.

Hell yea!!

Anyways, Yashiro and Chris are my favs to use in KOF 98. It's too bad they didn't have the same moves in 97 cause that would've been awesome:cool:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
MUSOLINI said:
still 98 remains the topdogg IMO. XI is great too, but the addition of these creapy and freaky and just fugly characters is just too much. why the hell put somebody like momoko and ash in a game, elizabeth? wtf is that. snk character design was still good in 98, its pretty much fucked up right now. ive only seen 2 good originall characters from snkp, thats oswald from XI and yoshitora from SS. everything else seems rather fucked up to me.

I will say that the new face team of 2000 is badass. Well, I like them at least. Seth, Vanessa and Ramon are the last great character designs of the neo geo kof days. With that said, I do agree with Oswald and Yoshitora. God damn is Yoshitora a great character design. That's a whole other discussion, however.