Is this the "Golden Age" for the DS?

aria

Former Moderator
Open question. Every system seems to have a moment like this. I noticed a string of amazing games for the system, it seems a lot of developers are taking the time to work out better games for the system (which probably took longer since its so different than others). For a while it was mostly Nintendo making the better games (as it often is on many of their new systems), but I think we've reached that moment where 3rd party developers are really hitting their groove.

What do you guys think?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Open question. Every system seems to have a moment like this. I noticed a string of amazing games for the system, it seems a lot of developers are taking the time to work out better games for the system (which probably took longer since its so different than others). For a while it was mostly Nintendo making the better games (as it often is on many of their new systems), but I think we've reached that moment where 3rd party developers are really hitting their groove.

What do you guys think?

Yes. Especially if you consider the time of year that all of these amazing games have been released. I can usually recover from the holidays during the first few months of the year but the quality DS games continue to come out.

This is the first time in a while (for a Nintendo system) that the majority of quality games are coming from other companies. It is a good time to be a DS owner, now if we all only had money like Jro, we would be set.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
now if we all only had money like Jro, we would be set.

Just think how much I must be blowing on wine and whores!

Anyway, re: DS games- can't help but wonder if Nintendo was able to convince publishers to load up a bit, release schedule wise, for pre-DSi timeframe. Seems like kind of a weird time of year to go so nuts with so many good titles, though not at all bad when you figure that that stack of like 8 new DS games over there wouldn't hurt in helping your average gamer to go hey, maybe I really could use some bigger screens to play all this great stuff on...

Worked on me. :emb:

And yes, I do think this is probably the best run of software, at least as far as my tastes go, that's come out for DS. I've been on mine for hours every night lately, and I've barely made a dent in the playtime that that aforementioned stack of games has to offer.

tomoprime

n00b
What's cool to grab your notice ? I have a ds lite but haven't picked up a title in a long while since Hourglass (zelda). Any recomendations ? Shooters / Action or innovative, whatever rocks ? Thanks.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
There's more crap than quality being released on the DS. But that's what happens when Nintendo systems are at their height of popularity (Mario Kart Wii nine million sold, zomglolwtfbbq). Gaming in general is really good at the moment, regardless of the platform, so I suppose you could say this is the DS's golden age. Although the DS is quickly becoming saturated with RPGs. Two or three a year is fine, but the DS is getting what...nine more before christmas?

Yikes. I'm only halfway through FFIV and a few hours into Chrono Trigger.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
What's cool to grab your notice ? I have a ds lite but haven't picked up a title in a long while since Hourglass (zelda). Any recomendations ? Shooters / Action or innovative, whatever rocks ? Thanks.

Read through a few thread titles, man, easy enough.

aria

Former Moderator

Read through a few thread titles, man, easy enough.

Yeah, but lately I'd have to recommend Big Bang Mini for anyone looking for an innovative shooter.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Yeah, but lately I'd have to recommend Big Bang Mini for anyone looking for an innovative shooter.

What?

No love for Space Invaders Extreme?

Or Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Although the DS is quickly becoming saturated with RPGs. Two or three a year is fine, but the DS is getting what...nine more before christmas?

That's fine with me. That's practically all I play anyway, and I chain play them.

I'd rather play them on the PSP or DS. I've been very disappointed with 360 RPGs and have quit almost all of them I started except for Eternal Sonata.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Agree with original post.

It's about time it was a handheld too. I've always loved the gameboy line.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ

All kinds of yes on that one and I should mention that Legend of Kage 2 was also fantastic. I also agree with your previous posts, most games for the DS are crap or remakes of crap and in truth all the other systems are going through the same problem. Maybe is just me, perhaps the times have left me behind but I feel as though all these new games hold very little interest to me save a very few exceptions.

J. Max

judas,
Yes. I'm looking forward to the DSi for downloadable content...curious to see how that will be.