Is this a PayPal scam?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
So someone "accidentally" sent me a couple hundred dollars the other day and are asking for a refund. They gave me their full name and phone number as well as facebook info.

The money has been sitting in my account for 3 days. Before I refund their payment is there anyway I could be screwed doing this?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
So someone "accidentally" sent me a couple hundred dollars the other day and are asking for a refund. They gave me their full name and phone number as well as facebook info.

The money has been sitting in my account for 3 days. Before I refund their payment is there anyway I could be screwed doing this?

Best contact paypal direct mofo...

Just sayin'... there's terms and conditions... and best practice...

xROTx

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Probably fine as long as you use the refund feature but I would call Paypal first. Their phone reps are usually helpful.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It has happened to me once before but It was someone I dealt with. I refunded the money and nothing came of it. If it's someone you never dealt with I would ask paypal.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
PayPal rep said I'll be fine if I issue a refund, FYI.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
if this was a random person, i would immediately think it's a scam.
maybe if your email address is something that could be fatfingered on accident.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What the wind blows your way let it settle, if the wind not disturb it take it.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
i took a bag of quarters I found at the car wash the other day ..had a dollar coin in there too...like 12 or 13 bucks!!! i asked the guy in the other stall if it was his...it wasnt ?? so how terrible am I...would the owners set it up?

no silver though

Hopplhaas

n00b
Usually if something seems like a scam or fraud to me then I report it to paypal (see this article).
I really don't understand why someone "accidentally" sends you money and you don't even know him.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
So someone else sent me a couple hundred dollars for no reason but at least they didn't gift it so they could reverse the payment on their end. :lolz:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm gonna hold you hostage because you're paying out!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So someone else sent me a couple hundred dollars for no reason but at least they didn't gift it so they could reverse the payment on their end. :lolz:

yeah, but how does that happen twice?

I dunno, man. Now it's starting to sound like a scam.

You haven't been fooled yet but I took the liberty to unearth this quote:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

-Mark Twain (I think)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
yeah, but how does that happen twice?

I dunno, man. Now it's starting to sound like a scam.

You haven't been fooled yet but I took the liberty to unearth this quote:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

-Mark Twain (I think)
Hahaha

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

How did they reverse it on their end cleanly?

If any sort of dispute was created, often the recipient (you) has to pay (paypal) $20 fee on those transactions, even if you refund the buyer without contesting.

//Wonder how many bots paypal has running bogus transactions.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Paypal now keeps the fees on clean, no dispute refunds. So only refund the net amount.

Last edited: