Is KOF 95 really that hard?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I heard that all moves are over powered. Well, are they?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Heidren is BOSS in that game.

So good that they had to take him out.

Get used to the SIDE STEP and you'll love it.

SIDE STEPING feels kinda odd if you're used to ROLLING.

They really should have combine the two systems.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So are you saying that the moves aren't over powered?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The moves in all KOF games are "overpowered."

That's what makes the characters so much fun.

Most of the gang has 50%-75%-100% combos.

Just get the timing down.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Its not just the high damage that makes the game hard, the computer counters your every move after around the third level. Rugal is also a pain to beat...took me about 20 tries on normal setting to beat him!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hmm.. KoF95 too hard? I have to disagree here. 95 is different to the later KoFs and damage is quite high but that's nothing you can't get to grips with.

Other than that, who cares for the CPU, 2P is where it's at, and here 95 really shines like a diamond.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Hmm.. KoF95 too hard? I have to disagree here. 95 is different to the later KoFs and damage is quite high but that's nothing you can't get to grips with.

Other than that, who cares for the CPU, 2P is where it's at, and here 95 really shines like a diamond.
It's just like every other SNK game, the boss is 10 times harder than the other enemies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The learning curve is definitely steeper w kof95 and 94. Moves aren't all dumbed down to hcf, qcf x 2, etc. But if you invest time into learning how to do all the moves, the game becomes the most rewarding KoF.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

Actually, I kinda disagree with that.

Most KOFs are fun in 2P mode, but these earlier ones are great to play in 1P due to storyline and stuff (94-97).
I never play with anyone my KOFs except for 96 ( for its atmosphere and GEEEEESE ) , 98 for obvious reasons and 2K for being the best striker based KOF game and polishness. Seems like people don't care very much for the older ones in 2P.

Not that it bothers me much, I like to play in a lone-wolf mode. I rarely get competition anyway.

In 1P mode, the CPU dumbs down after you charge.

I´ve only finished the game in side stepping time outs against rugal. Same technique as ´94 Rugal.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Actually, I kinda disagree with that.

Most KOFs are fun in 2P mode, but these earlier ones are great to play in 1P due to storyline and stuff (94-97).
I never play with anyone my KOFs except for 96 ( for its atmosphere and GEEEEESE ) , 98 for obvious reasons and 2K for being the best striker based KOF game and polishness. Seems like people don't care very much for the older ones in 2P.

Not that it bothers me much, I like to play in a lone-wolf mode. I rarely get competition anyway.

SNK labelled these games "versus fighting" for a reason.

Vs. CPU mod is just a cherry on top of a deep mountain of gameplay.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
2P is where it's at, and here 95 really shines like a diamond.
Absolutely this.

95 is most probably my favourite KOF to go 2P VS in. However, like Xander said, sitting down, concentrating fully and overcoming the CPU in 1P '95 does offer a feeling of achievement vs most of the later titles, as the opponents certainly do NOT fuck around...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Absolutely this.

95 is most probably my favourite KOF to go 2P VS in. However, like Xander said, sitting down, concentrating fully and overcoming the CPU in 1P '95 does offer a feeling of achievement vs most of the later titles, as the opponents certainly do NOT fuck around...

Yup, agreed. People always complain about the high damage but that also works in your favor if you know what you're doing.

Btw., many CPU opponents fall for simple low D sweeps all the time. Of course that's not a very skillful way of beating the game and it won't work against the boss but it shows that the CPU AI isn't really that clever and can be beaten with relative ease (on lower diffs) if you exploit its weaknesses.

Still, beating the game on higher diff settings feels very rewarding, that's for sure. That and the excellent artwork and music makes me come back to 95 on a regular basis.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think the bosses in KOF games only start to get really hard from '99 onwards (except for Rugal in 2002, who is relatively easy). '99 was about when the game start letting you use "service mode" to make it easier, so that could be the reason.

I tend to prefer the Street Fighter games (like the Alpha series), as they are much more based on fireballs and dragon punches. Dragon punches (and fireballs) are less useful in KOF, which was probably intentional on SNK's part.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

I think the bosses in KOF games only start to get really hard from '99 onwards (except for Rugal in 2002, who is relatively easy). '99 was about when the game start letting you use "service mode" to make it easier, so that could be the reason.
Disagree. Although, I really think it varies from person to person, game to game.

For me, the bosses I find easiest/most manageable are: Goenitz, Krizalid, Clone Zero, Zero, Igniz and Mukai. Basically, mostly all the bosses that came at 99 onwards! Nothing to do with continues/service modes, I just found those bosses "fairer". The whole Zero/Igniz thing is easy as long as you opt for 1-to-1 ratio with the boss. You'll NEVER defeat either (esp. Igniz) if you chose 4x 1/4 ratio characters instead. Always trim down to you single best character for those 2 final encounters.

I tend to prefer the Street Fighter games (like the Alpha series), as they are much more based on fireballs and dragon punches. Dragon punches (and fireballs) are less useful in KOF, which was probably intentional on SNK's part.

The whole Fireball/Dragon Punch shit is exactly why I cannot be arsed with Street Fighter anymore, sans the III series, which had much more depth (akin to SNK's fighters) > the SF4 gameplay 'routine'.

You're right. It was intentional, and imo, it was for the best, as it makes the dynamics of the combat so much more interesting. SNK have ALWAYS been about the options and the inability to sit comfortably on Sonic Booms into Somersault, Tigers into Tiger Uppercut and Hadokens into Dragon Punch.

Fatal Fury already understood the requirement, initially met via the 'plane' system. Then, in later games like KOF, things became much more flexible, with the ability to roll/evade projectiles, run and jump near full screen distance at fireball abusers BEFORE having chance to DP and even Super Jumps and Hyper Hops too. C+D and A+B on block are extremely useful/flexible too.

SF just doesn't compete in this area, and whilst many love the simplicity, for me, I struggle with the lack of options/simplicity nowadays more than I used to...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Never had a prob with the bosses of later KoFs. Okay, Rugal in 2k2 can be a bit tricky but basically he's not that hard to do away with if you know his weak spots, or simply use Chin or Takuma. Igniz in 2k1 is all about crouching, super-jumping over him and kicking him to hell and back, repeat, dead. In 99, make sure not to use DMs against Krizalid's first form, then his second form will be easier to beat. 98 Rugal? Back up to the left corner and do jumping Ds, gone. 97 Orochi? Avoid his blue pillar DM, roll, kick, roll, kick, roll, kick, dead. A similar tactic works for Goenitz in 96. Zero in 2k is the easiest boss in KoF history. A boss that can be beaten with only well-timed standing Cs is a joke, eh.

Etc., etc.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
For me, the bosses I find easiest/most manageable are: Goenitz, Krizalid, Clone Zero, Zero, Igniz and Mukai. Basically, mostly all the bosses that came at 99 onwards! Nothing to do with continues/service modes, I just found those bosses "fairer". The whole Zero/Igniz thing is easy as long as you opt for 1-to-1 ratio with the boss. You'll NEVER defeat either (esp. Igniz) if you chose 4x 1/4 ratio characters instead. Always trim down to you single best character for those 2 final encounters.
What do you mean by 1:1 ratio? Or single best character? You have to fight the final bosses in KOF with your whole team of 3 or 4 characters.

NeoGeoNinja

What do you mean by 1:1 ratio? Or single best character? You have to fight the final bosses in KOF with your whole team of 3 or 4 characters.
IIRC, KOF 01 allows you to select the order and ratio of playable characters-to-striker ratio between each stage.

When you are due to go up against Zero, then Igniz, make sure you ONLY select the ONE player character and THREE strikers. Going one on one with those bosses is the only comfortable way to win...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The whole Fireball/Dragon Punch shit is exactly why I cannot be arsed with Street Fighter anymore, sans the III series, which had much more depth (akin to SNK's fighters) > the SF4 gameplay 'routine'.

You're right. It was intentional, and imo, it was for the best, as it makes the dynamics of the combat so much more interesting. SNK have ALWAYS been about the options and the inability to sit comfortably on Sonic Booms into Somersault, Tigers into Tiger Uppercut and Hadokens into Dragon Punch.

Fatal Fury already understood the requirement, initially met via the 'plane' system. Then, in later games like KOF, things became much more flexible, with the ability to roll/evade projectiles, run and jump near full screen distance at fireball abusers BEFORE having chance to DP and even Super Jumps and Hyper Hops too. C+D and A+B on block are extremely useful/flexible too.

SF just doesn't compete in this area, and whilst many love the simplicity, for me, I struggle with the lack of options/simplicity nowadays more than I used to...

Finally someone who speaks my language.