Is it not worth to purchase saturn lens from aliexpress?

bshi02

n00b
hello.
I have three saturn(two has jvc optima6 lens,and the rest has sanyo lens) But all of jvc optima6 lens are worn out. there is only 25 degrees or 30 degree clockwise rotation left for orange pot on optima6 lens..
I know that there is big sale on aliexpress until 11/30,So I plan to purchase jvc optima6 lens from below link.
OPTIMA 6 from aliexpress

But I heard that more than half Laser Lens from aliexpress is defective.
Is it really not worth to purchase any saturn lens from aliexpress?
Any reply would be appreciated.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I think the idea is that these parts you buy from china are not recently made, so you're replacing a part from 1995 with another part from 1995 so even the replacement could be weak or non-working. I'd also look into the internal power board, on a dreamcast at least, having leaky or defective caps on the power supply board can result in the gdrom drive giving symptoms like a weak or dead laser... so the issue might not even be that you have a bad laser, it may just be the power board.

doaal

Marked Wolf
I've never heard of Saturn lasers burning out or really having any issues. They're sturdy systems, particularly compared to the PS1.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've never heard of Saturn lasers burning out or really having any issues. They're sturdy systems, particularly compared to the PS1.
The laser burnt out on three Saturns I have had over the years. I never was successful in getting a replacement to work, I just switched to ODE for them.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Its quite a common point of failure with Saturns.

I agree with city - just go ODE.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't really have much of a choice for most of these systems, original lenses are hard to come by. I haven't messed with Saturns much but with my Duo the dude who helped me fix it said that with the Chinese lasers the trick is to buy them in lots of 4 or 5 or something and hope you get one good one out of the bunch. On that Duo it was the third laser that actually worked, and it works great to this day.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I thought mine waa burnt out but when I went to install the new lens I found a bunch of dust stuck in the drive mechanism. So I just cleaned it out without changing the lens, and it's working well again.

It's a launch US model and I'm the original owner. The console had never been opened before.

You don't really have much of a choice for most of these systems, original lenses are hard to come by. I haven't messed with Saturns much but with my Duo the dude who helped me fix it said that with the Chinese lasers the trick is to buy them in lots of 4 or 5 or something and hope you get one good one out of the bunch. On that Duo it was the third laser that actually worked, and it works great to this day.
With my PS2 replacement the first one I did died in a month. The second is still working a year later. Always buy more than one.

bshi02

n00b
Thank very much for all reply.
when I purchase pre-owned two saturn which has JVC optima6 lens 25 years ago, A few days later, I realized that both of two lens already have problem to recognize disc.
So I fiddled pot adjustment whenever I experience any problem of recognizing disc during 25 years.
And I purchased another sega saturn of hst-3320 10 years ago which has sanyo lens and it still works without pot adjustment.
I already recaped all of capacitor in PSU which supply voltage to JVC optima6 Optical Pick-Up laser But there is no difference in recognizing disc.
It seems that I have to order two or more optima6 lens from aliexpress and hope to get at least one good lens out of whole order..

Last edited: