Is it just me? Or is World Heroes 2 hard as hell?!

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I just got my WH2 AES cart, and that game has been kicking my ass left and right. I don't if the game is just generally hard or do I just plain suck at it? I've never really liked the WH series that much. Generally cuz I use only a few people, most of them, I suck with.

I dont think its just you. I stink at it too. I cant beat the final boss under any circumstance. Are there any good tips for this game?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I suck it this game ..real bad.. :( ..But,then again I suck at all of them.. :p

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Guardian Hero said:
I dont think its just you. I stink at it too. I cant beat the final boss under any circumstance. Are there any good tips for this game?
Learn the timing to reverse throws. It's huge for beating Dio. He'll at some point come up and try to throw you. After you reverse it, he'll reverse it back at you again, so be ready to re-re-reverse it, etc. There's a limit to how many times something can be reversed (I think it was five), and you'll eventually get him. Reversing projectiles is also very helpful in the game, when an opponent rushes at you after a projectile, usually he won't block in time if you reverse it. If he does, re-reverse it back at him again.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
SouthtownKid said:
Reversing projectiles is also very helpful in the game, when an opponent rushes at you after a projectile, usually he won't block in time if you reverse it. If he does, re-reverse it back at him again.

That works up to about 10 or 11 times. Are you playing Deathmatch or normal mode? Either way I find it mostly easy until I meet Dio because I am too lazy to watch the videos and remember all the patterns to use on him.

A very very big skill in this game is learning the correct throw distance when using C. The throw button was very abusable in the first game but mostly produces a taunt in this one which of course is followed by enemy-inflicted punishment.

Who are you using by the way? A lot of normal moves have great priority and this being one of the early-90's fighters has hidden special moves which you ought to learn. Dizzy combos are not too difficult after which you can punish people badly. Ex: Kim Dragon. Jumping hard kick, standing light punch, standing hard punch (double hit), Hundred Blows = dizzy and about 50% damage. Some characters such as Hanzo have set combos: jumping attack, standing A x 4 (hard blow the last one). And some have cheap patterns. Muscle Power: Place the Super Dropkick (qcf, up-toward + B) to land behind them then grab them with a Tornado Breaker upon touching down.

If you do Deathmatch Mode then abuse the stages you can, such as against Ryoko or Shura, follow them when they get electrocuted/burnt and you can often juggle them for extra damage.

The main thing against Dio is not to be too impatient. I was back in 1994 or so and wound up accidentally putting a fork crack in my system shell via a flying joystick after about 50 straight losses to him...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Finally, a WH thread again! Tsuka will love this! :D

WH2 is not hard, it just requires different skills than SF/KoF-style games.

My fave charas are Brocken, Fuuma and Dragon. There's really not too much strategy involved in the game. Soutthtownkid and NBM already said it, learn how to:

- (counter-)throw
- do small tap-tap-hold combos
- use patterns to beat certain opponents
- use your chara's specials to their fullest (most have quite long lags)

That's really all there is. Counter-throws come in handy in almost any situation. Throws do very high damage in the WH series and specially in part one and two, that's why it's essential to learn to love throws and how to counter them. On MVS difficulty, you can win the first three or four rounds with tap-tap and throws alone.

About tap-tap, it's a standard WH technique which is easy to learn. Just pick your fave character, start 2P mode and do the following:

shortly tap the punch button twice -> hold the punch button.

Your character will do two short punches and then a longer one, this works with kicks as well (or a combination of two punches and a hard kick). If you do it quick enough, the three normal moves will actually combo and dish out good damage, two tap-taps and two throws are enough to finish off most CPU opponents except Brocken, Erik and of course Dio.

What's more, every chara has some sort of abuseable/high priority move. Fuuma and Hanzo have a hcb+K move (actually it's df,d,db,b+K) that lets them swirl in the air and transports them across the screen. You can pull off this one to approach your opponent and then follow it up with a C throw immediately afterwards, works very well except against Dragon who has lots of effective anti-airs.

Here's a (probably incomplete) list of the priority moves:

Kim: charge d,u+K

Hanzou + Fuuma: dp (actually f,db,df+P, you can also do a quick f,hcf+P), hcb+K

Muscle Power: charge b,f+P

J. Carn: charge b,f+P

Janne: charge b,f+K

Rasputin: qcf+P, qcf+K and his grappling hold (f+C when close)

Brocken: standing hard kick, quickly tap P

Shura: charge b,f+P

Ryoko: hcf+P running throw (difficult to land but powerful)

Cap Kidd: charge b,f+K and of course charge b,f+P

Mudman: charge d,b+P

Erik: charge b,f+P

J. Maximum: f,f+P, charge d,u+P

I can beat the game only using patters, I didnt bothered to learn this reverse throw thing.

Has been some time since I've played this game but I think I remember the pattern I used to beat Dio: jump in with hard kick, followed by a weak low kick, a hard low kick and another hard low kick. After the first hard low kick Dio will be out of your reach but since he will try to approach and grab you or use his hard low kick that has very low priority, your second hard low kick will take him down.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I must suck really bad because I can't even get to the last boss on level 1. I keep losing on the 4th or 5th stage.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
metallizer said:
Has been some time since I've played this game but I think I remember the pattern I used to beat Dio: jump in with hard kick,

That is if he feels like allowing you to jump in which 99% of the time he does not.

Something else I just remembered: If you find yourself blocking his slide you can punish him. The slide hits twice and between the two blocked hits you can nail him with say a Flash Sword with Janne. Otherwise he has moved in so deeply that he will simply throw you when he comes out of the sliding animation, and if you can't reverse throw, bye bye.

Neo Bomber Man said:
That is if he feels like allowing you to jump in which 99% of the time he does not.

I think its more like 50%

anyway once you trap him in the pattern he will fall for it everytime.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
metallizer said:
I think its more like 50%

anyway once you trap him in the pattern he will fall for it everytime.

I thought about it later and it is more like 50~60% of the time only. Haven't played the game in months now anyhow. Neat pattern by the way.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Jedite said:
Ya, and Ryoko as well. Not to mention Mudman.

The funny thing about that is I own WH2 and AOF2 and I never did like either game. AOF 2 came in a bundle and WH2 was an impulse buy for collection's sake. Oh well, I find that Rasputin's qcb+b "Robe Spin" is a cheesy, yet effective way to drain your opponent's life.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Jedite said:
I just got my WH2 AES cart, and that game has been kicking my ass left and right. I don't if the game is just generally hard or do I just plain suck at it? I've never really liked the WH series that much. Generally cuz I use only a few people, most of them, I suck with.

It's just hard cuz is sux. ...but thats just my opinion. I'm not much for certain fighters like Virtua Fighter, World Heroes,etc. I think you either develope a taste for it or you don't.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hidden Character said:
The funny thing about that is I own WH2 and AOF2 and I never did like either game. AOF 2 came in a bundle and WH2 was an impulse buy for collection's sake. Oh well, I find that Rasputin's qcb+b "Robe Spin" is a cheesy, yet effective way to drain your opponent's life.
Buying the WH2 homecart when it came out meant I didn't have the money to then buy SS1...so I freaking well made myself like it. I had to -- to live with what I'd done. It's got its own charm. In fact, I've since bought it on MVS also.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
WH2 is an ultra cheap game to play in one player. The trick to winning is playing as cheaply as the computer I reckon.

It took me ages to beat the (terribly designed) last boss but I did it eventually using Janne. I just always charge back down so I'm ready to do any of her specials, her flash kick thingy and big sword swipe seem really effective, particulary after feinting with a couple of light swipes.

Just find a couple of moves that work and use them without mercy, once you start experimenting you generally seem to get hammered.