Is anybody else here REALLY into the Panzer Dragoon series?

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
This thread rekindled my interest in Crimson Dragon for XBONE. I redownloaded it and have been playing it again. Still not great, but better than I remembered. I'll continue with it.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
This thread rekindled my interest in Crimson Dragon for XBONE. I redownloaded it and have been playing it again. Still not great, but better than I remembered. I'll continue with it.

My xbone is under a pile of consoles, but yeah now that you mention it maybe I should redownload that too....

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
PANZER DRAGOON FUNFACTS

-Yukio Futatsugi was only 23 when put as head of the project for the first game

-15 people worked on the game

-Heavily inspired by Nausicaa, because takes place thousands of years later and then an empire comes and uses ancient technology that's far more advanced than what they have at the time

-Panzer Dragoon means 'armored dragon' in German

-It's not as good as Star Fox 64

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
LoneSage said:
-Panzer Dragoon means 'armored dragon' in German

That's not entirely correct. "Panzer" refers to "gepanzert" (adjective) which indeed is German for armor or armored but Dragoon is not a German word, it's an ancient name for a mounted infantrist of the late 17th/early 18th century. The German word for dragon would be "Drache".

"Panzer Dragoon" means armored mounted infantrist/fighter.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That's not entirely correct. "Panzer" refers to "gepanzert" (adjective) which indeed is German for armor or armored but Dragoon is not a German word, it's an ancient name for a mounted infantrist of the late 17th/early 18th century. The German word for dragon would be "Drache".

"Panzer Dragoon" means armored mounted infantrist/fighter.

I always think of a WW2 game when i hear panzer dragoon. Like tanks or something, but thats just me..im a history buff

which is the best one in the series? Is panzer dragoon saga worth its hefty price tag?

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I always think of a WW2 game when i hear panzer dragoon. Like tanks or something, but thats just me..im a history buff

which is the best one in the series? Is panzer dragoon saga worth its hefty price tag?

I feel like Saga is a slightly clunky RPG but is amazing if you're into the atmosphere and music. I personally enjoyed the story, and I felt the gameplay was great. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I feel like anyone of us could play it again today and not really be too turned off by how old it is.

People like Orta (OG Xbox) or Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn) the most as far as the rail-shooters go. I will say they're the most polished. I think I enjoyed Orta a bit more than Zwei but that might be because I never had the chance to play Zwei when it was new, I only had PD 1 and Saga back in the day. I think Panzer Dragoon 1 is my favorite just because of nostalgia, but for someone coming in for a fun rail you should go for Zwei or Orta, whichever would be easier to play.

And Saga is commonly on "Top 10 RPG" lists near the top and for good reason! I honestly don't think it's worth $400+ if you're not already a serious fan, and even then it's not really worth that IMO but I'm not much of a collector.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I got Saga for $50 or whatever games cost when it came out originally. It's definitely not worth $400. It's short, maybe 15 hours for a very complete playthrough. I'd strongly recommend just burning a copy if you want to play it in English.

And clearly the best game in the series is:

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I got Saga for $50 or whatever games cost when it came out originally. It's definitely not worth $400. It's short, maybe 15 hours for a very complete playthrough. I'd strongly recommend just burning a copy if you want to play it in English.

And clearly the best game in the series is:

I sadly have this one too...GOTY material. Game of ALL TIME material, actually.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

My faves are Zwei and Orta. Dunno about the PD RPG, never tried it but I doubt that it's worth several hundred dollars.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I had my hands on several copies of PDSaga. I tried hard to like the game but it was too much of a let down to me.
It's one of the most overrated games of the system.
I wouldn't say it's bad. It just doesn't have that magical Sega charm like other games do. Turns out I ended up giving one of them and selling the others.

I found Panzer Dragoon Orta a trully fantastic game for it's time.
Really felt like a (great) Sega game.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I remember walking into Toys R Us 12 years ago not intending to really buy anything. They had an X-Box running Orta. I bought one immediately. It's still my favorite X-Box game...probably my favorite Panzer game as well. (Except maaaaybe the RPG). Solid 60 fps too.