Interface the biggest hurdle for modern games?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I agree with the time sink, if I do get involved in something that is going to take a bit for example Yakuza, I usually take a break from games like that before I go back to something else that will take a week or more to get through I don't go from one to the next immediately.

Personally I've always liked arcade games such as fighting games as I can invest an hour into it and be done with the story line/ Arcade Mode and then try it again tomorrow, it takes a lot to get me invested into something for a while

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
While I have the modern systems, I lose interest immediately after those damn required updates pop up. My kids play on the systems more than I do.

If it's an older/non-online connected system, I'll fire it up and play.

Example, I loaded up a Bittboy that I recently picked up and have been enjoying Link's Awakening and Tetris DX for the past 2 weeks.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Although I have and enjoy my PS4 my interest in it is far less than my older gen machines.

Constant updates to fix bugs and DLC are my true hatred of modern gaming.

My library fir every system I own has decreased since my PS2 days even though my disposable income has increased.

I can only put that down to they have to be something pretty damn awesome to even catch my attention anymore.

I mostly play warframe on the PS4 as I like the co-op community aspect of it but other than that its only certain games I bother to play.

Currently waiting on DOOM eternal and River City Girls to drop.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Overdone UI is definitely off-putting to me. I understand the need for lots of information in an RPG, maybe. But, action games that load up the screen with tons of little widgets and arrows and numbers popping up are just exhausting to look at. It feels like a crutch most of the time, too. They don't have any unique or particularly well-implemented mechanics to begin with, so they cover it up with a zillion little progress bars and hope it feels like a game.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You have to plan ahead and turn on modern systems prior to when you intend to play them, especially when installing a new game. Come home, turn the system on, put the new game in, make dinner, take a shower, and by the time you're ready for your 60-90 minute evening play session it's ready to go.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I don't mind the load times, the tutorializing, the interfaces or any of that shit.

It's mostly that 80% of all triple A games are some form of open world game and I find no pleasure in a game that dumps you in a hub and says "I dunno... make your own fun". Not every game has to have a rigid structure (lord knows, I love me some Metroidvania) but I find wandering around aimlessly in a 3D space with little to no direction (yeah sorry... highlights on a map don't count) dull as shit.

The remaining 20% are largely comprised of FPS/third person shooters (which I generally dislike except for the more arcade-y/story-based ones like Doom 2016) and sci-fi/fantasy horseshit (which I loathe... fuck Skyrim and anything that looks like it).

I still play a ton of games. They're mostly just new games people put out in old genres (fighting games, puzzle games, arcade racing, real-time strategy, character action games) or interesting indie games.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, the 'time sink' argument applies perfectly to modern gaming, just like it applies perfectly to modern television series. A good timed movie is less than two hours, offers enough story and interpretations for years, thus is easy to learn but hard to master similar to an arcade game. Television series and modern games artificially stretch their durations with iterations and/or continuous open narrative, which holds a promise that the storyline, i.e. the downloadable content, is to be continued like in a soap opera.

I always loathed series like 24, which are precursory to all modern television shows, filling its one hour with dreary material, which should be cut out immediately. Bauer's escape gets interrupted by three 5 minute-long phone calls to his wife, like the plain vanilla zombie apocalypse "story" of TLOU is interrupted by stupid side-quests. Nah, if it only was the interface... but I agree with Devil's mourning after linearity in games.

Open world, a soap opera equivalent in video games, is probably the worst system to tell a story. In my opinion, the more freedom you get, the tougher it gets to tell a compelling story. You either get lost in long, passive, Kojima-style cutscenes, or have to work endless side requirements off, to get on with your story, which is probably papert-hin to begin with. There are some exceptions like Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Deus Ex and their followers, which introduced some interesting concepts to make an interface more playable. You could use weapons/items in your own way, even contrary to their intended use. But exciting gameplay mechanics don't translate instantly into exciting story telling.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When the game lets you take too many liberties it puts me off. The idea of being able to do whatever was once appealing but to me, a gimmick. I miss arcade games and arcade style games.

Same. Infinite world to explore equals infinitely lost. I get lost enough in the real world without having to recreate my directionless life in my leisure time.

I generally stick to driving and sports games now on the switch.

Edit: I'll add to that, the idea of an open level has changed massively. I remember being amazed with the freedom of desert strike or toe jam and earl. I played those back not long ago and realised they're actually pretty restricted. The illusion of freedom whilst actually being quite confined suits me, I might move into a zoo one day.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Haha good stuff.
To me the open world with a very specific purpose that was done in a way that I could grasp and completely give myself to was Mario 64. The world it created was reduced in scope and polygons and for the time it was just perfect.
Back when the tecnology was limited so too where the size and posibilities of the gameworld so it ment the game makers had to be pretty creative.
Whatever though, this is like shouting into the wind. The world has turned and noone gives a fuck. Microtransactions and skins and season passes and updates. Fucking chore

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I had a PS3 and only bought 3 games. Of those, I only played more than one for an hour (Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection). I have only bought one game for PS4 (Pinball Arcade).

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I had a PS3 and only bought 3 games. Of those, I only played more than one for an hour (Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection). I have only bought one game for PS4 (Pinball Arcade).

I have the Williams Collection as well, and it is superb. I still play it to this day.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For me the biggest hurdle is actually getting to a point where you get to play the game.

Buy a new game disc, stick it in the Xbox One
Xbox One needs an update, update it
Xbox One controller needs an update, update it
Game needs to install, install it
Game needs an update right the fuck after you installed it, update it

Game finally boots up, turns out there's not a menu system but a giant over-complicated hubworld where you walk from one physical location to the next to pick game modes.

Then you find out once you start the actual fucking game that there's a 20 minute opening cutscene you can't skip followed by a 45 minute tutorial you can't skip.

So I usually abandon ship halfway through the process and start playing Truxton or Doom 64 instead.
Oh my god this this shit.

DBZ Fighterz did this, but it's not as bad as Jump Force. They had to actually create an update to make cut scenes skippable, and even then there's tons of loading between scenes - with no gameplay between the scenes.

I can't stand that shit.

Also, why do game developers think we want to watch opening title cards like movies?

Activision presents...
MR1 Project
Capcom games
Unreal engine 6
BabdaiNamcoDisney
Cogs of Battle
Development team Sonic Team
Atari games
(40 minutes of loading)

*animated movie for the fucking menu*

Press any button to continue.

WHAT THE HELL MAN.